General Wargaming

Carthage Versus Republic Rome Armati rules

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 Oct 2024, 20:32

I had not broken out my Republic Romans and Carthaginian forces in a long time and I wanted to try out an "Old" new set of rules Armati. Armati came out in 1994 I think and replaced Tactica which was penned by the same designer. I love Tactica but wanted to see the difference in the two rule sets. So my buddy Brian and I had a quick game at the Hobby Store to see how we liked them and also figure out how to play them!
Naturally I forgot to take some pictures until the game was well underway! To spare the suspense my Carthaginians were crushed by those damn powerful Romans!! Here are some action shots. The game was played on a 6 foot by four foot mat.

My destroyed forces!!

more dead and a giant hole in my lines!!

The right flank of my arms after my elephants had been ambushed by the Roman Velits!!

The rules are much more streamlined than Tactica and the game played out in under two hours from set up to take down and we did not know what we were doing. Some very interesting game mechanics that make you think quite a bit. Always my down fall!
Thanks for looking
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Oct 2024, 23:17

An excellent looking game.
Romans. I've gamed against them (mostly) & with them (sometimes) on many occasions, using various rule sets.
They "always" win.

There are exceptions - in a game were 2 Roman columns were travelling through a hilly, forested area, the Celts won. It would have been hard for them to lose. In games where the enemy (Celts or Carthaginians) significantly outnumber the Romans, they win.

You may make the point my crummy generalship is an issue & you'd be right! But I just think they're too powerful. I decided to sell my Polybian Roman army earlier this year & am nearly finished building a Pyrrhic Greek force to fight my "Carthos" or Celts.

I'm using Hail Caesar rules but will look at your Armati. They sound promising.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 18 Oct 2024, 00:45

Thanks for the info Donald. I just finished Pyrrhic force myself which I had the figures lying in boxes for years. I will give it another shot with the Carthaginians maybe I can turn the tables. If not the Greeks will make an appearance.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Return to General Wargaming