Work in Progress

New Project XA1

Posted by steve_pickstock on 10 Sep 2024, 12:19

There is a tradition in the Japanese code of bushido, that when a samurai’s katana is drawn that it may not be put back in its sheath unless it has drawn blood.
I don’t know if this is true, but the idea is that if you take your sword out and don’t draw blood you have to shed a bit of your own. Of course that may be just to stop lots of heavily armed people with incredibly sharp weapons waving them about willy-nilly. But there's this whole thing about blood shed in the Samurai tradition.
Yeah.
So here is the thing.
The latest shiny. The new project.
Samurai. Little ones. Lots of little ones.

I have a long history of modelling samurai, from 28mm ones to 15mm ones that were so beautiful that I had to do a whole zen thing, get myself really calm and relaxed, get my head really straight if I was going to paint them.
Note the sculpted ropework edge to the bases! :shock:
It never worked, I always freaked out when I picked them up and in the end settled for a dry-brush technique that always felt like a bit of a cop-out.
I even did 6mm blocks of samurai - that army completely destroyed a 6mm Zulu army that someone threw against them. The zulus were literally wall to wall (table edge to table edge) induna of semi naked warriors armed with sharp, short spears and hide shields and a tiny Japanese army armed to the teeth in head to toe, lacquered army. I don’t think any of my guys even broke into a sweat.
So, when I saw the new 10mm plastic samurai and ashigaru sprues from Wargames Atlantic, it was a must have. They looked good, nicely modelled and sculpted, and not as small as the 6mm jobs which were basically just blobs with sashimono. I bought a single frame off e-bay and liked what I saw. They paint easily enough – especially as I’m having problems with my eyes again, but more of that later.
The basic sprue
And some of the proposed command figures

So the plan - Project XA1, which was about the most manga plan name I could think of - is to buy enough for two forces, (a box of the samurai was ordered) so I can play against my friend using Lion Rampant (the historical version of Dragon Rampant).

The next thing - obviously - is to make some scenery. I've got some woodland that I made up for other small scale games, however I would need some houses, and things.

And that’s where we get to the shedding of blood.
Now, Pendraken do some nice 10mm samurai buildings
https://www.pendraken.co.uk/10mm-scenery-feudal-japan
but they weren’t in stock, so I tried building some of my own.
I made some carcases using mounting board, to make a box, with a gap of 15mm between the floor and the soffit of the roof. The plan was then to make them look rustic, by adding siding made from cocktail sticks, matchsticks, and coffee stirrers, cut to size and glued it.
I’m probably going to make a local land-owner or lord’s house out of this one,
Fiddly, not accurate and a bit oversize.

I was cutting some coffee stirrers to size for the sheathing of the walls, using a pair of scissors, and in a momentary lapse of concentration – IF YOU ARE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS BIT – I had removed about a half-centimetre square of the fingerprints of the middle finger on my left hand.
Doesn’t sound very much, does it? It was messy, really messy – mainly because of blood thinners. I had to go the local walk-in centre to get it dressed. Now I generally consider myself to be a safe model maker, I don’t do stuff like this. I can’t even remember that last time I cut myself so badly. I can only think that it was the oni (spirits) that live around the village that I’m making that demanded a blood sacrifice.
It must have worked because the Pendraken houses came back into stock and I was able to buy some of those.

Anyway new plan – both for personal safety and to increase productivity. Cut strips of mounting board, layout the walls, using the same stirrers and cocktail sticks but instead of trimming them down and gluing them in place, I just glued them down and trimmed them to size once they were secured in place.
So the test pieces worked well, reasonably quick to do, and simple process.
But still too big in terms of floor plan – especially when compared with the 10mm scale Pendraken ones.

So now I am weighing up splashing out for more of the Pendraken buildings or continue making my own. The ones I have started can all be used as an onsen, or as a temple, or a merchant’s, but I do need more peasant dwellings. The thing is that I can scale the size better now I’ve got something to compare them against – not copy them s such but use them as inspiration.

Anyway that's where I am at the moment on this, thanks for looking in.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by PaulRPetri on 10 Sep 2024, 14:30

Good Lord Steve I am glad you survived your chopping off of your finger. Those scissors are way sharper than anything I would be willing to use! I have cut myself with a Number 11 exacto blade too many times to count.

On your "New" project I am having similiar thoughts of starting a project of my own using these new figures from Wargames Atlantic. I will be watching your project with much interest.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Santi Pérez on 10 Sep 2024, 19:21

Those Wargames Atlantic figures look superb, Steve, although the ones you modelled are second to none, they look fantastic too. :love: :love: :love:

I find this new project you are starting very interesting, as the buildings you show us demonstrate. I will certainly keep a close eye on its progress. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by steve_pickstock on 11 Sep 2024, 11:19

Santi Pérez wrote: although the ones you modelled are second to none, they look fantastic too. Santi.

I must apologise Santi. I didn't label that picture correctly.

These models were produced by a company called Naismith Design - definitely not me, I WISH I could sculpt like that.
I think they're out of production now but the whole range can be seen here:-
https://www.keepwargaming.co.uk/15mm-sa ... -315-c.asp

I used to get them out to paint them, lay out all the paints, the palette, the water would be clean, the brushes laid out beside the mat on the table. I would clear my mind and get a picture of what I wanted to achieve fixed in my head. Pick up a figure, get paint on my brush, see all of the exquisite details on the figure...

... and just lose it completely. :stressed: :affraid: :oops:

As I said, in the end I resorted to just a dark undercoat and a dry-brush of a brighter colour followed by picking out significant details.
Now, while that same approach works for the WA 12mm figures, I have always felt like it was a cop-out for the Naismith Design figures.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Rich W on 12 Sep 2024, 23:10

ANOTHER PROJECT?!?!?!?!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 13 Sep 2024, 18:48

Rich W wrote:ANOTHER PROJECT?!?!?!?!

Erm ... yeah .. what can I say? I'm weak. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Okay, so yes, it's a new shiny, but the 1625 Cthulhu project was pretty much done, I'm just waiting for the circumstances to line up so we can actually play it. One of those is that I need to find a box file that contains a lot of the Revell 30 Years War infantry which will make up the bulk of the player forces.

Once I have that and the players are ready, we'll play it through and I'll post pictures.
steve_pickstock  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 13 Oct 2024, 18:38

A quick update on this and pretty much all of my projects at the moment.
During a recent visit to the opticians I asked him about the fact that I was losing some acuity in the eye that had the cataract done last year. After a few tests he told me that I had a crust forming on the capsule of the lens. Long and short of it - until it gets treated my vision is getting worse and worse, however I'm booked in for a consultation at the end of the month and it's a simple operation.
So although I have more figures to paint, apart from 'big brush' stuff, base coating and the like, I am not touching the details. I have made a village with the Pendraken houses, a Tori gate and Shinto shrine, a set of paddy fields and few other things, but apart from that I'm sort of stymied.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Santi Pérez on 13 Oct 2024, 19:39

The hobby can always wait, Steve. The most important thing is health. When you are recovered, you will take up the hobby with more enthusiasm. Best wishes for your operation at the end of the month. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by steve_pickstock on 25 Oct 2024, 16:17

Okay, eye fixed - it really is remarkable, 30 seconds with a laser and blam! your vision is restored! Anyway I can start work again - I will try and get some pictures uploaded this week.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Santi Pérez on 25 Oct 2024, 20:08

Congratulations, Steve. Now take advantage of your improved vision to continue the hobby. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to Work in Progress