Work in Progress

1/24 1955 Mille Miglia 300SLR+300SL+180D

Posted by Challenger77 on 05 Jul 2024, 11:07

As i wrote in the "1931 Mille Miglia" Topic, this was planned as aFrustration programme...but who wonders i went in a complete other Direction.
I planned to build all Winning Cars of the 1955 Mille Miglia, so the famous Overallwinner300 SLR with Sterling Moss/Dennis Jenkinson, the Winner in GT Classand 5th overall , 300 SL "Gullwing" John Fitch/Kurt Gsell and the very lttle known Winner in the Dieselclass the 180 D "Ponton" Helmut Retter/Wolfgang Larcher . This car was an Austrian Entry, Helmut Retter was the Importcompany for Mercedes in Tirol.So a must have...here are the Originals

The 300 SLR is a old Kit from Monogram/Revell. For its Age it is really nice, even the Designers couldn't decide which version they wanted to implement, so the kit is a conglomerate of prototype, advertising and museum car. If you want to build the Raceversion correct, the Chrome over the Airoutlets must go, also the Chrometrim around the Headlights. And one Thing is compeltly ignored by Revellogram, this cars have a complete enclosed Chassis. Here helps only Scratchbuild . Also are the Headrest out of Shape and the Tank cap on the Drivers One have the Bigger Shape of the Targa Florio Car. Well the Decals are Nice, but are also Wrong Type. The Overall Look is good, also the Wirewheels, but remove the Chrome ! Nobody would chromed them, the Chrome is to hard and unflexible to stay. They where Painted. The 3 Point MB Star is molded on the Body, must also remove. On the Real car it was painted on.And i wasn't me, when i build it straight like most others, i want it like i came back to Brescia , that means more Scratchbuild and cutting, and the next neverending Story or Desaster :neutral: is on the Way.
So it looks after the Race, Sterling has really beaten the Car to its limits.

On our Exhibition in march, i started this Project as a Show building. First i cut the Front and Rear Bodywork from the Tubularframe, remove the Direction Lamps on the Frontfenders and fill the not neede Holes on the Sides, where the Chrometrims schould go.

The Tubolarframe and the Engine are then a Straight forward Build. relativly good Fit of Parts. The Underbody paneling will follow. I build this as copy from my CMC Diecast.

And after the remove and new Build of the small Airintake before the Windshield, the Cutting and damage to the Body began.....

As i wrote before the Kit Wheels are nice, but Fernando Pintos are even nicer ;-) with real Wire....
Here is a Kitwheel with and with out Crome and a Comparsion between Revellogram and FP

I ordered a Decalsheet with the Racecorrect Font and a Set of Sterling Moss Heads from Immense Miniatures

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 05 Jul 2024, 11:20

Asa always i buil some Things paralell, in this case 2 Tamiya Gullwings. The One for Fitch and another one for the 1955 Marathon de la Route. Here now the Mille Miglia car. I got a Etchset with very fine details and Parts to modify the Kitrims to the used rudge Fast Change ones. A small Windschield on the Hood will scratched.

The frame and body where a OOB Affair nothing Special.

And meanwhile the Search for a 180 Ponton ended with a Diecast from the Comics Series "Tin Tin"
A nice Body and Interior, no details on the Chassis at all a black plastic Part. but as this cars all went on a Diorama its OK.

Hope i get them all ready for next Year Oldtimerexhibition, it is the 70th Anniversary of this Race.....
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Rich W on 07 Jul 2024, 05:14

The details on those wheels!!! Love it! Keep the updates coming!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 07 Jul 2024, 07:38

Excellence as standard.

Brilliant modelling as always.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 07 Jul 2024, 20:06

And since there are no two without three, here you present us with another very interesting project that I will follow with as much interest as the others, Challenger77. :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 11 Jul 2024, 21:34

You are very busy Harry! I like this project to! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Work in Progress