Gallery

28mm Diorama "Crusaders"

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 10 Dec 2023, 13:45

A small diorama (time of the first crusade) using different sets of Victrix plastic minis. (Norman Crossbowmen, Norman Infantry, Anglo Saxons) The shields have mostly decals and are mixed with hand painted ones. The flags are from LBM-Studios. I am a big fan of Victrix multipose figures. Lots of swapping options between different sets.

Cheers Thomas

T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 10 Dec 2023, 15:47

Warfare was at its most brutal in this period to my mind. It must have been a terrifying ordeal getting to grips with these fellows in armed combat or having to get out of the way of arrows from bows and especially crossbows. These figures of yours really do represent the period very well, in terms of uniforms, helmets and weaponry. What a fantastic display of crusaders with their backs against the wall.

Beautiful work as usual Thomas, miniatures and groundwork alike. I prefer your hand painted shields and banners as opposed to decals but fully appreciate that handpainting these minor details is not everyone’s cup of tea and adds even more time to our work, keeping in mind that time is always our greatest enemy.

Nor am I a huge fan of bark used as rocks and also much prefer your normal piccies taken outside in natural sunlight. In these photos we can see how you have edited them and it has taken away just a little of the magic for me (but of course I understand that at this time of year it’s not easy making Germany look like the Holy Land).

Just out of curiosity have you managed to check out the figures from Reconquer Designs? Am intrigued to hear how they compare with Perry/Victrix/Gripping Beast and those of David Imrie from Scotland (forgot his brand name) in terms of size and quality. From what I have seen on Facebook/Instagram it looks as though the bar has been raised even higher. Yet at the same time there is something more beautiful about hand sculpted miniatures over their 3D counterparts. Perhaps dms’s Wild West minis and Reconquer are beginning to challenge that perhaps romantic notion of old timers like myself.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Konrad on 10 Dec 2023, 17:36

Once again a great job from you.
VICTRIX also has some really nice figs.
Great painting, great shields.
Well done, Thomas.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 10 Dec 2023, 18:56

Thanks guys. To be honest, I took most of the pics (not the first one) outside today. It was a cloudy, stormy day. I was afraid of the wind for blowing my diorama out of my hand. Normally I take my pictures in direct sunlight, with all the light and shadow, but the weather at the moment doesn`t allow that. I understand that cork bark for rocks is not the best choice. But I had some pieces available and I like the appearance . But this is everyone´s personal taste.

I know the great miniatures by reconquer and sizewise they fit perfectly with Victrix or foot sore (their pewter Crusaders and Normans are also great). But this time I was "forced" to do this project with the exclusive use of Victrix minis for it is part of a competition Victrix called out. The best "dark age unit" could win a 100 GBP-Voucher. :-D

In the next time I will do a whole diorama only with reconquer minis. They have many poses that interact perfectly so I am planning a battle or a siege scene.

Best regards from Bavaria

Thomas
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 10 Dec 2023, 23:26

Wow …… I think you should fancy your chances in this Victrix Competition Thomas. Your figures are beautifully painted and arranged, the base is splendid and as you said cork is a question of personal choice, I personally prefer woodland scenic rock moulds. I wish you the very best of luck and only hope that Ben hasn’t entered the competition!

Ps/ And that Julian and his team also have a penchant for cork rocks!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by C M Dodson on 11 Dec 2023, 10:06

Superb work as always.

Images of the ‘Kingdom of Heaven’ come flooding back.

Excellent painting and composition in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Iceman1964 on 11 Dec 2023, 18:24

Woooow, great work, I love it !!!
Painting, details, ground, all is top level.
best compliments !!!
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Peter on 11 Dec 2023, 20:32

Another great work of your hand Thomas! And good luck in that competition! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Michael Robert on 11 Dec 2023, 20:36

My congratulations to a wonderfully painted diorama, Thomas, excellence at work :-)
I like the dynamic poses and your painting, highlights and colours.
Just one idea which I am chewing on. During the 1st crusade the knight orders didn't yet exist. Probably all participants had painted some primitive "cross" somewhere on their habit, but not such magnificent shields or banners. Makes the look of them so much plainer, not your magnificent knights with crosses. So from an artistic view your diorama is much nicer. It is also the moment the medieval crests and symbols started. I think your examples are very nice and reflect early crests rather well.
All luck for the contest
A guad'n
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MABO on 12 Dec 2023, 17:24

Hey Thomas, another real artistic work. Super job!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by santifernandez on 12 Dec 2023, 20:00

A great job of setting and painting, I love it.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Santi Pérez on 12 Dec 2023, 21:02

Thomas, you have achieved a real masterpiece, both for the superbly well painted figures and the wonderful terrain. I love the so crisp and perfect paint job. :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy:

My very best congratulations. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 13 Dec 2023, 00:10

Wonderful work Thomas! Lovely figures and I really like the basing.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 24 Dec 2023, 08:36

This is awesome :love:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Gallery