Gallery

Daimyō,Hatamoto and Samurai

Posted by Konrad on 06 Oct 2023, 17:50

Daimyo were powerful Japanese magnates, feudal lords who, from the 10th century to the early Meiji period in the middle 19th century, ruled most of Japan from their vast, hereditary land holdings. They were subordinate to the shogun and nominally to the emperor and the kuge. In the term, dai means 'large', and myō stands for myōden, meaning 'private land'.
Daimyo often hired samurai to guard their land, and they paid the samurai in land or food as relatively few could afford to pay samurai in money. The daimyo era ended soon after the Meiji Restoration with the adoption of the prefecture system in 1871.

The term hatamoto originated in the Sengoku period. The term was used for the direct retainers of a lord; as the name suggests, the men who were grouped "around of the flag". Many lords had hatamoto; however, when the Tokugawa clan achieved ascendancy in 1600, its hatamoto system was institutionalized, and it is to that system which is mainly referred to now when using the term.

Samurai is the term commonly used in the West to describe a member of the warrior class in pre-industrial Japan. The term is derived from the Japanese word "さぶらう", which translates as "to serve". In Japan itself, the term bushi is common.

A better view of the individual figures you will find here.

Hope you enjoy!

Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Iceman1964 on 06 Oct 2023, 18:07

First to comment :-D

Impressive work, samurai armor are among the most complicate challenge for our hobby (personally I think together with montemporary camo and scottish kilts).

Great results as usual, Konrad !!!!
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by MABO on 06 Oct 2023, 19:17

Iceman1964 wrote:First to comment :-D

Impressive work, samurai armor are among the most complicate challenge for our hobby (personally I think together with montemporary camo and scottish kilts).

Great results as usual, Konrad !!!!

I second that. And I am always impressed by painted samurai figures. Very well done, Konrad!
MABO  Europe

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 07 Oct 2023, 08:01

Konrad, you are a true Samurai Expert. Great and impressive looking figures. I like it a lot. Which brand are they? Some are Perry I think, but not all of the figures?

By the way. Fireforge Games has purchased five different sets of multipose plastic Samurai era figures. You should take a closer look (if you haven´t done already).

Best regards from Bavaria Thomas
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Konrad on 07 Oct 2023, 08:58

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu,my friend.

T. Dürrschmidt wrote:Which brand are they?

All figs are from STEEL FIST MINIATURES

There might be something for you, too. ;-)

Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bessiere on 07 Oct 2023, 18:07

Nobody surpassed the skills and artistry of the Japanese during that period. You capture the colors and dynamism of that with the warrior ethos of the samurai. Excellent work Konrad. Your commitment to accuracy shines through in these warriors.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 11 Oct 2023, 13:49

The ensemble of lord and vassals in those relaxed poses looks amazing, Konrad. And it looks even better against the fantastic backdrop of the castle you've taken the picture with. :love: :love: :love:

Great work, my friend. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 12 Oct 2023, 12:18

I'm always looking with great joy to your painted samurais. And that is also because I'm not a fan of painting samurais myself. ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Gallery