Members

Welcome Fiona

Posted by Paul on 03 Aug 2013, 12:27

Token Girl wrote:Hi everyone. Token Girl here. My real name is Fiona though as there seems to be very few females modelling, certainly little plastic men, I thought Token would be rather apt.

I have quite a few interests in the 1/72nd figure line, though my Ships are 1/350th and 1/700th, aeroplanes are 1/48 and 1/44th Pan Am airliners and the rest is a mixture of whatever takes my fancy, right now I'm completing a fair few Mini Art 1/16th figures and will attempt a few Historex 54mm when I get round to it.

So 1/72nd. The periods I'm into is Napoleonic, Roman and The War Of The Worlds (more on that later as I get to know the site, though suffice to say that as they are outdoors and to go with a railway etc they don't have to be that brilliant, one Hat Zulu War figure I trimmed his gun away and will have him leading a horse) So some of the time I'm having fun with them. I also have a few Crimean War sets Strelets and Emhar though again these I chip away at between other figures etc.
I had a period of doing Knights and Crusades last Summer though for some reason, please don't laugh, they made me ill. I didn't think that reading History could be so troublesome. Some wars have possibly had to be fought, though really we all know War is not a good thing, but I thought the Crusades was really really futile. So they have been sent away to the barracks for future reconsideration.

That is really how I got into the figures, at the time reading Plastic Soldier Review showed me there was more variety at the time for 1/72 than some of the old 1/32 figures I had years ago.

I have a general interest with the Romans (I might build a little Roman town in the garden) and The Crimea, though the Napoleonics I'm doing what uniforms I like from different countries, the 48th Foot (Northampton) regiment in the Peninsular and every regiment at Waterloo. This is the clever bit on my part, I don't do the entire lot, just the Command figures and a sergeant and private, that way I can get a lot done and have a smallish space to display them.

I get a bit miffed at the lack of civilian figures or soldiers not doing very much i.e not fighty-up poses.
My recent buys have been Orion, Italeri Gladiators to go with the Pegasus set I got ages ago. Zvezda Imperial Romans, looking forward to building the Testudo!! Zvezda Polish Lancers which I can do a couple as the Red Lancers and finally I think one of my fave sets Zvezda's French Foot Artillery. Sometimes you just have to love artillery!

The best set I have purchased this year has to be the Hat British Command set as there is enough soldiers to do my 48th foot!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Token X

Hi Fiona, welcome aboard. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I´m also not too impressed with the amount of civilians but (especially for Roman period) the recent strelets/Linear-b sets fit the bill. (among others)
The Roman town sounds interesting as I´m building one as well..whenever I get time :oops:

PS... Not the only female here, Anne is female to Name but one. ;-)
Paul  China

Posted by Token Girl on 03 Aug 2013, 18:05

Hi Paul and thanks for the warm welcome :-D

Gosh yes I love the Linear B figures, I haven't got any yet as I find the postage is way too high to send for. Does anyone know if Nigel at Parabellum in Birmingham sells them? I get a lot of figs from him when passing through though my last visit I was after other things and didn't look at the figures, I think I was after ships and a Chrimbo pressie for my better half, I tend to get him something nice this year. I got him the Zvezda Cog and a load of soldiers to fill it. If not are there any other Linear B people in the U.K?

I also love Strelets, even though the figures aren't as good as HAT or Zvezda etc, they do some stuff that is unusual and their Valley Of Death set is a corker, I'll have to get the other Crimean big sets before they vanish. I have some figures above our living room and since my others are going to be mostly outside the sculpting doesn't need to be that great as I'm like a giant surveying the world ha ha!

I take the painting pretty seriously but I don't mind having a bit of fun with stuff. I my mum's garden last year I had the Revell Cowboys and Italeri Union artillery fighting Indians and Dinosaurs...time wars are not impossible!
Token Girl  Wales

Posted by Cameronian on 03 Aug 2013, 21:15

How does the song go? Welcome to the house of fun?

Historex 54mm, are they still around? That's where I started goodness knows how long ago. A lot of work in the kits but well worth the effort, I remember seeing work of incredible quality in their galleries.

Enjoy,
George
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 04 Aug 2013, 15:54

Also a warm welcome ftom me to Fiona! Looking forward to see some work of you! :thumbup:

PS: I think this is the first time we get a kiss on this forum :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Token Girl on 07 Aug 2013, 10:06

Thanks Guys for the warm welcome!
Yes Historex are still going and strongly as far as I know. It's a struggle juggling scales though in the long run doing choice "big" figs let me do specials whilst say I can do a complete set of officers down to privates in 1/72nd which makes a reasonable display in our small hovel!

I'd never say, oh so and so scale is "rubbish", well I did once and landed up getting into that scale and it's helped a lot with space.
Token Girl  Wales

Posted by KGV on 07 Aug 2013, 21:49

Historex. Not heard that name in years. I thought they went the way of the Dodo

Anyway, welcome.
KGV  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cameronian on 08 Aug 2013, 08:42

I had to go and look this up, very much alive with expanded ranges and as beautifully finished by talented modellers as ever. This renewed interest forced me to dust off my own poor efforts and I even found a kit not started :-)
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 25 Aug 2013, 17:03

Welcome to the Asylum Fiona
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by Dad's Army on 08 Sep 2013, 13:56

Welcome here at Bennos, hope to see lots of you work here!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Return to Members