Miniatures Talk

Limber horses in 1/72

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Feb 2023, 08:44

I've always run 4 guns in my Napoleonic artillery batteries but the new 'Valour & Fortitude' rules prescribe 1 gun model per battery (we're going to cheat & make it 2 because 1 looks poor).

This releases quite a lot of extra guns & as artillery isn't devastating in these rules, adding extra batteries (which fits historical precedence) is desirable. I'd like to keep our practice of a limber per battery. So, from Newline, I've ordered a slew of various limbers (French, Prussian, British & Russian). I do not like their limber horses, however.

Now several plastic artillery sets will contain limber horses - usually 4. As I need 16 (though 20 would be better), I'd need to buy lots of sets with lots of stuff I don't want.

Surely there's a source for 1/72 limber horses? Surely, some enterprising 3D printer makes such?

Any links?

donald
User avatar
Ochoin  Scotland
 
Posts: 2430
Member since:
16 Jan 2010, 04:00


Posted by Susofrick on 07 Feb 2023, 09:16

Speira seems to have quite good horses:

https://speira.net/product/others/tienda-napoleonics/british-limber-horse-1/

https://speira.net/product/others/tienda-napoleonics/british-limber-horse-3/

They seem to be from a Spanish firm (Tienda). Maybe there is a 3D-printer closer to you that also have the files.
User avatar
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
 
Posts: 7683
Member since:
19 Feb 2008, 12:10

Posted by Minuteman on 07 Feb 2023, 09:38

I have to say that, subject to being able to find a set, the HaT French Limbers set is the best value for money I can think of for these horses: Three 6 horse teams and 9 riders. Two boxes would give you enough for 9 x 4 horse teams.
http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=982

The problem is tracking this set down, somewhat rare at the moment.
User avatar
Minuteman  United Kingdom
 
Posts: 1141
Member since:
06 Mar 2020, 21:38

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Feb 2023, 11:11

Susofrick wrote:Speira seems to have quite good horses:

https://speira.net/product/others/tienda-napoleonics/british-limber-horse-1/

https://speira.net/product/others/tienda-napoleonics/british-limber-horse-3/

They seem to be from a Spanish firm (Tienda). Maybe there is a 3D-printer closer to you that also have the files.


Yes, they do look good but is that really 1 horse for nearly $8 Australian dollars? Sadly, too rich for my blood.

donald
User avatar
Ochoin  Scotland
 
Posts: 2430
Member since:
16 Jan 2010, 04:00

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Feb 2023, 11:12

Minuteman wrote:I have to say that, subject to being able to find a set, the HaT French Limbers set is the best value for money I can think of for these horses: Three 6 horse teams and 9 riders. Two boxes would give you enough for 9 x 4 horse teams.
http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=982

The problem is tracking this set down, somewhat rare at the moment.


Agreed, but AFAIK, REALLY rare.

donald
User avatar
Ochoin  Scotland
 
Posts: 2430
Member since:
16 Jan 2010, 04:00

Posted by C M Dodson on 07 Feb 2023, 14:15

Hi,

You may like to consider the Hat Austrian artillery set.

The mounts are stationary and greenstuff could be used for the sheepskins on the French line horses .

The Zvezda Russian ( not Guard) artillery set has lots of horses too, some of which I have used for Union batteries.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom
 
Posts: 2617
Member since:
01 May 2015, 18:48

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Fire at Will on 07 Feb 2023, 15:35

THis is the nearest I can find, only $4 for the stl file. then scale it by 78% to give you 1/72 if the originals are 1/56
https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/28mm-napleonic-french-caisson/
Fire at Will  United Kingdom
 
Posts: 760
Member since:
16 Dec 2009, 16:21

Posted by Bessiere on 07 Feb 2023, 16:35

Fire at Will wrote:THis is the nearest I can find, only $4 for the stl file. then scale it by 78% to give you 1/72 if the originals are 1/56
https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/28mm-napleonic-french-caisson/

I got excited upon seeing that and learning they have loads of Napoleonic figures until I saw the sculpts which are worse than any plastic set I've seen. Huge faces and feet with tiny legs. Then the cost - prohibitive.
Sadly most of the sets Donald is looking for can't be found. Precisely how many teams of 4 are you hoping to get? I have spare sets of Austrian horse artillery, french limber, caissons and wagons. If the shipping isn't too horrendous maybe I can help out?
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America
 
Posts: 1125
Member since:
23 May 2019, 15:50

Posted by Bessiere on 07 Feb 2023, 22:54

Donald, I have 1 ea. of HaT: French wagon, Wurst wagon and Caisson. Additionally I have 3 Austrian horse artillery as well. I have no plans for any of these and great deal of other figures I forgot I had.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America
 
Posts: 1125
Member since:
23 May 2019, 15:50

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Feb 2023, 08:26

Bessiere wrote:Donald, I have 1 ea. of HaT: French wagon, Wurst wagon and Caisson. Additionally I have 3 Austrian horse artillery as well. I have no plans for any of these and great deal of other figures I forgot I had.
Cheers,
Bessiere


How very generous & pleasant of you to offer!

As it turns out, there's a local 3D guy who's made some nice cavalry horses for a friend. He doesn't do limber horses....yet. I'm seeing him on Saturday & will try to convince him to find & buy some files.

I may well get back to you about your horses but in the meantime, I'm hoping this works.


best wishes, donald
User avatar
Ochoin  Scotland
 
Posts: 2430
Member since:
16 Jan 2010, 04:00

Posted by Bessiere on 08 Feb 2023, 23:10

I found some French limbers for sale, not sure how many. https://www.ebay.com/str/scottsmodelwor ... gn=5&rt=nc

Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America
 
Posts: 1125
Member since:
23 May 2019, 15:50

Posted by Peter on 09 Feb 2023, 00:13

Franznap made some limber horses:

Image

Image

Schilling Zinnfiguren: https://www.schilling-figuren.de/page/11/?s=franznap

;-)
User avatar
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator
 
Posts: 22613
Member since:
25 Mar 2008, 18:51


Return to Miniatures Talk