Miniatures Talk

French Hussars - SYW

Posted by Ochoin on 22 Jul 2022, 14:01

I've looked longingly on Hagen's offerings : https://www.hagen-miniatures.de/Testkat ... 56/?page=3
but they're just too expensive (incl. the exhorbitant P&P).
Apart from the Revell figures, is there an alternative?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Fire at Will on 22 Jul 2022, 15:56

Perhaps the HaT 1806 Prussian Hussars 8195
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Michael Robert on 23 Jul 2022, 10:01

Hello Ochoin,
I think the good old Airfix hussars are not so bad - some with head swops. I definitely use them for this period.
Let's see with what you'll come up. You have provided good solutions before
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Ochoin on 23 Jul 2022, 13:43

Thank you, Michael.

I've already used 2 boxes of these Airfix hussars for SYW Austrian cavalry:

These chaps wear fur caps but the French equivalent are in Mirlitons. These might be hard to come by: any HaT ones may will look undersized on the robust Airfix fellows.

However, you've given me something to think about.

The beautiful Hagen ones still tempt me but a 12 figure unit would cost me about $13 (Aust) per figure, including P&P so I don't know. I've considerd the Zvesda 'Black Hussars' too but as I'd want only the 3 figures with sword at shoulder (+ 3 command figures), I'd need 3 boxes for the 12 figure unit which comes out at nearly the same price.

regards, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Aug 2022, 20:37

After a fair bit of thought & discussion, the "solution" is Zvesda.
It's not ideal, but if I convert some of the combat poses to figures carrying shouldered swords, I can get the necessary 12 figures from 2 boxes. Turn head & bend arm.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1852

I'm more concerned with horses as I'd prefer 12 walking or standing still. There are alternatives but given the size of the Zvesda figures, I'm not sure if any are viable.

At any rate, for the reasonable price of 2 boxes, I can get my unit of SYW French hussars until something better comes along.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Michael Robert on 01 Aug 2022, 20:51

Hi Donald,
yes the Zvezda ones look real nice, if they weren't that big. They are highly dynamic, but actually display the same uniform as the Revell ones.
Let us see what you will turn them into
Cheers
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Aug 2022, 21:17

Michael Robert wrote:Hi Donald,
yes the Zvezda ones look real nice, if they weren't that big. They are highly dynamic, but actually display the same uniform as the Revell ones.
Let us see what you will turn them into
Cheers
Michael

Thanks for your confidence! I hope it's not misplaced.

My French infantry (about 200 figures) are Wodenfield which are big too. (I got them from a previous owner for a fraction of their present cost).

That's the reason I don't want to use the Revell ones - they're too small!

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Aug 2022, 23:24

Ochoin wrote:After a fair bit of thought & discussion, the "solution" is Zvesda.
It's not ideal, but if I convert some of the combat poses to figures carrying shouldered swords, I can get the necessary 12 figures from 2 boxes. Turn head & bend arm.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1852

I'm more concerned with horses as I'd prefer 12 walking or standing still. There are alternatives but given the size of the Zvesda figures, I'm not sure if any are viable.

At any rate, for the reasonable price of 2 boxes, I can get my unit of SYW French hussars until something better comes along.

donald

Why don't you consider horses from a different Zvezda set, donald, like for instance this one:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1597

One box of these fine figures would give you 10+1 horses in suitable trotting (not standing still, but not charging) poses.

I look forward to seeing your modification of the Zvezda hussars...not a favourite set of mine I have to say, but if you are trying to match the scale to your metal infantry then probably the only choice.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Aug 2022, 06:55

Minuteman wrote:[

Why don't you consider horses from a different Zvezda set, donald, like for instance this one:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1597
One box of these fine figures would give you 10+1 horses in suitable trotting (not standing still, but not charging) poses.

MM, I'm not sure the Russian hussars are available at a decent price.
Remember I'm trying to keep costs down - see my OP.

Thanks for your advice, though. I will maintain hope that Strelets might one day come to the party. Newline is an outside chance but you never know.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 02 Aug 2022, 20:51

Ochoin wrote:
MM, I'm not sure the Russian hussars are available at a decent price.
Remember I'm trying to keep costs down - see my OP.

Thanks for your advice, though. I will maintain hope that Strelets might one day come to the party. Newline is an outside chance but you never know.

donald

Yes, quite understand donald, and three boxes of Zvezda figures just to create one 12 figure regiment does seem excessive. Ideally, you would have a willing pal who is collecting Russian Napoleonics who would take the Russian Hussar riders + the galloping Prussian SYW horses off your hands at a fair price. This would then make it economic.

Good luck, as always I look forward to your SYW armies in full battle array on the tabletop!

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Aug 2022, 06:58

I will send Shaun at Newline a note, I think, before I buy the Zvesda hussars. You never know - it might inspire him & his figures are very good & his prices most reasonable.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Aug 2022, 11:28

I sent Shaun @ Newline a lengthy post about SYW French hussars. I also suggested he might consider a range of SYW Russians.

I do realise he's the best judge of what works for Newline but I thought I'd suggest these. At any rate, he's invariably a pleasant and courteous chap (not everyone in this hobby is!!) and if Newline were to take up these ideas, I think they'd produce a fine range of figures at affordable prices.

Here's hoping.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 03 Aug 2022, 15:33

Ochoin wrote:I sent Shaun @ Newline a lengthy post about SYW French hussars. I also suggested he might consider a range of SYW Russians.

I do realise he's the best judge of what works for Newline but I thought I'd suggest these. At any rate, he's invariably a pleasant and courteous chap (not everyone in this hobby is!!) and if Newline were to take up these ideas, I think they'd produce a fine range of figures at affordable prices.

Here's hoping.

donald

I agree, Newline are a fine company and they produce some very good figures. Any SYW range originating from them would be very welcome.

However...my understanding is that they produce 20mm figures, not 1/72. I'm wondering therefore whether any SYW French Hussars that Newline might produce might then be on the small side? They would certainly be a fair bit smaller than the Zvezda 'giants'.

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Aug 2022, 21:11

Minuteman wrote: too small

Re. the hussars -true.

However, I received an encouraging reply vis. the SYW Russians. An entire army of slightly smaller figures fits in well & I would give them bases a mil or so thicker as well.

I'm trying not to be too optimistic but I've begun clearing out storage space....

donald

BTW between Newline & Tumbling Dice, in terms of great service, it's a close fought draw. Even if Shaun never makes Russians, how amazing he bothers to reply to a random request?
Having gone to Newline, I found myself forced to place a sizeable order. $16 P&P BTW. Very reasonable.
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Miniatures Talk