Gallery

Roman - 1st figures

Posted by Dave2024 on 23 Jul 2024, 20:36

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum, thank you for making it such a welcoming group!

I’m turning 50 this year, from the States, just started painting this past December.

I love the Roman Imperial period. I started off trying to get experience in several areas of building dioramas. Below are my first two “learning experiences” as I like to call them that I made over the last few months.

I wanted to work with figures from as many different manufactures as possible. These are the first ones I’ve ever painted. I went with legionnaires marching to get some practice with repetition, trying to figure out better ways to paint each one as I went from a ridiculously wide brush down to ones that I never knew could get so small.

I tried my hand at my own creations - the shield wall made with Milliput, and made an unbelievable mess trying to learn the best way to apply grass!

Thank you to the guys that have reached out to me on improving my bases! I’m excited to hear everyone’s tips and techniques hopefully get to your level of skill someday.

The photos are of two different dioramas.

I hope you enjoy, thanks!
Dave

Dave2024  United States of America

Posted by Ben90 on 23 Jul 2024, 22:03

You did a great job! Very precise paint-application there!!! I would have never guessed, you have started painting half a year ago! I really enjoy your diorama. Reminds me a bit in the scene from the movie "The Eagle", when the Romans rush out their fort to meet the Britons.
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Rich W on 24 Jul 2024, 00:24

Welcome Dave! Thanks for sharing these photos. You’ve done a great job with these figures! I can’t believe you managed this quality of painting in less than a year and the size of your dio’s are so big and ambitious for first efforts! I think back to my painting and efforts to make dio’s during my first year back in the hobby and I could only have dreamed of producing this quality!!!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Jul 2024, 07:45

So you're a "beginner", Dave? My goodness!
This is an excellent start to your modelling career, then.
I look forward to seeing more of your work.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by XbriX on 24 Jul 2024, 07:57

Welcome to the forum. Great figures!
XbriX  Poland

Posted by Bill Slavin on 24 Jul 2024, 13:49

Welcome to the forum, Dave. I agree, this is great work - it is hard to believe you are newbie. Clearly you are a fast learner! The shield wall looks fantastic.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Iceman1964 on 24 Jul 2024, 16:14

Super work, if this is the beginning , the future is bright :-D
well done Dave !!
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Dave2024 on 25 Jul 2024, 02:13

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind words!

Posted by Santi Pérez on 27 Jul 2024, 11:59

I fully share the views of my fellow forum members, Dave. It seems incredible that you have only been painting for 7 months and that the quality level of your figures is so high. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Add to that the beautiful scenery and the fantastic pictures and your two dioramas are a delight to look at. :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy:

As Enrico (Iceman1964) said: "If this is the beginning , the future is bright." ;-)

I just have one question: Is the design of the shields hand-painted or are they stickers? :eh:

Welcome to the forum and continue to delight us with works like these. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by PaulRPetri on 28 Jul 2024, 02:17

Greetings Dave. Clearly an artist has been hidden away waiting to explode on the scene!! What outstanding work! You have true talent! I have been slaving away since 1977 as a bright eyed 13 year old and I don't think I am anyway close to be in your league!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Dave2024 on 28 Jul 2024, 05:36

Hi Santi,

In answer to your question, I originally hand painted every shield….and hated them. I was trying to practice on sets from multiple manufactures and I wanted the shields to be the same to help pull the different figures all together.

They each had different raised designs, or no design on their shields. My free hand on a blank shield from Hat was not matching the raised patterns, so I searched and was able to find decals online. Having to paint over a few hundred shields with white primer to get them ready for the decals after all the time and effort originally painting them was a lesson in planning I won’t soon forget.

I found the decals from Little Big Men Studios. It’s a one guy shop based out of England. I can’t speak highly enough of him! The decals are made for Hat, but I found that they work great on all shields including ones with raised relief for painting. He has a great selection of Roman and other time periods as well. Word of caution if you go there, I had difficulty getting his website to work on a phone - it kept showing that nothing was available. On the computer it worked fine and you could order anything.

Dave

Posted by Kekso on 29 Jul 2024, 18:44

Ochoin wrote:So you're a "beginner", Dave? My goodness!

That :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 02 Aug 2024, 18:08

Welcome Dave! :thumbup:

And that is a fantastic start here on the forum! :shock: :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Gallery