Gallery

Omnibus post - my summer Napoleonics

Posted by Bill Slavin on 17 Sep 2023, 22:16

I realize I have been very sparse in posting for the last few months - a few game reports and that's about it. However, leading up to the grand finale of Talavera I managed to do a whole lot of painting that never was shared.
Mostly they are command stands, many conversions, that I needed for both sides. Some miscellaneous bits, fun bits like a French doctor, and then, three weeks prior to the last Talavera game, the sudden realization that I was 108 line infantry figures short of a French army! Those never got documented and have now disappeared into the rank and file. They look like the rest...

So I thought I would do a single omnibus post just to catch up. I hope you enjoy!

Here are a few pics from that post - more WIP's etc on my blog:
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2023/09/omnibus-post.html

First up, some brigadiers for Laval's German Division, Dutch, Hesse-Darmstadt and Baden.

A couple of British cavalry officers for all that British horse in the Talavera Dawn Attack scenario!

Some purpose made French cavalry officers, all conversions.

Three more stands of French artillery - the lovely Zvevda set.

Another limber...

The only French line battalion I documented - there were four others - but they really do all look the same!

And, just for fun, a French doctor and his aide from one of the Strelet sets.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Sep 2023, 23:15

You have fantastic conversions on display, :thumbup: well done good Sir.

:coffee: Yes from one,to another is how my own hobby of leapfrog ideas grew long ago when i was aged young. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bessiere on 18 Sep 2023, 00:18

Fetching assembly of units and figures here Bill. I'm very taken with your commanders for Laval's division; they look fabulous. Your gift for conversions and painting style are so unique and lovely. Nice work.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Sep 2023, 01:39

Bill, I've never ventured into the Peninsular War so looking at your wonderful collection is a vicarious pleasure.

Certainly, the sometimes exotic uniforms of Napoleon's allies, the Spanish & the Portuguese offers a visual feast along side the "usual" sumptuous French & always elegant British.

What is your playing surface, BTW? A mat? And I can't remember your source(s) for buildings.

regards, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Sep 2023, 08:50

Very nice and your medic with the bowl is inspired.

I have that figure and he is off for a paint up !

My Antietam re fight is full of conversions and whilst I did some for Ligny/Quatre Bras I think a more ambitious chopping programme may be needed for the future.

Thank you for stimulating the imagination.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 18 Sep 2023, 09:17

Figures and scenes full of character. Very nice.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 18 Sep 2023, 10:55

love the figures and love the yellowy glow that you give your photos, I always a imagine a hot Spanish evening just about sunset in the Peninsular War.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 18 Sep 2023, 12:59

Always a delight to see your work Bill. In particular when your figures are placed in front of these splendid Spanish looking buildings. One can almost feel the scorching sun blazing down on the arid landscape. Your lichen bushes almost adding a Spaghetti western feel to proceedings and I mean that in polite way. As for these photos I would say my personal favourites are the first two - am always a fan of mounted command figures.
Thanks once again for the inspiration.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by atalante on 18 Sep 2023, 13:02

Very good presentation!
The painting is very good, nuanced and colorful!
Congratulations
atalante  France

Posted by Bill Slavin on 18 Sep 2023, 13:38

Thanks all, for the nice comments! :-D

Ochoin wrote:What is your playing surface, BTW? A mat? And I can't remember your source(s) for buildings.

regards, donald

Hi Donald,

In this case the ground cloth is just a piece of tan cloth, a sort of velour with a bit of tooth I picked up at a fabric store. I lightly spray painted it with one of those paints that has textured bits in it to give a bit more character, one of those faux-granite finishes.
As for my buildings, they are all scratch built - I documented the process here, if you are curious:
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2019/12/peninsular-buildings-scratchbuild.html
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by k.b. on 18 Sep 2023, 17:26

Hello again Bill,
Just been over on your blog seeing how you make your Spanish/Portuguese buildings. WOOOW, up close they’re even better than they look from a distance. For those of you who haven’t checked the blog out I’d say you should - some very interesting tips and details that I had never been able to note previously - and I think I’ve still got an eagle eye!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Minuteman on 18 Sep 2023, 20:50

Bill Slavin wrote:As for my buildings, they are all scratch built - I documented the process here, if you are curious:
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2019/12/peninsular-buildings-scratchbuild.html

Very useful. I may well try this technique myself. Thanks!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 18 Sep 2023, 20:52

Super conversions and paint jobs. I wish I had managed to be as productive as you have clearly been over the summer. Some great additions here to your Peninsular War forces. Well done Bill!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 18 Sep 2023, 22:56

Brilliant work as always Bill.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 19 Sep 2023, 17:25

I'm glad to see that you have used the summer for the hobby much more than me, Bill, hahaha. And the result couldn't be any other: a good bunch of excellently painted miniatures. My favourites are the mounted officers and the doctor vignette. :love: :love: :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Michael Robert on 21 Sep 2023, 12:55

Rich,
since the beginning I like all of your contributions, in particular this thread. So watching these figures and settings is tremendous.
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 01 Oct 2023, 19:24

Nice work on these figures Bill! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Gallery