Gallery

Some different French cavalry

Posted by Fire at Will on 22 Oct 2022, 07:24

Not Horse & Musket era, but those from WW2, 3D printed as needed for RF Blitzkrieg Battlegroups. I would have used the HaT figures for WW1 but they are currently unobtainable at sensible prices.

There are some fragile parts, and I need to investigate some more flexible/robust resin before I use the printed for major production of figures. The sculpting is a bit crude, but passible for WW2 as there are far fewer details.

I also printed off some dismounted figures

Both the mounted and dismounted figures came unbased, so I learnt how to digitally add the bases before printing, which had the advantage I could print them the exact size and shape I wanted. The only downside was they warped slightly on curing/drying in the sun.

---------------------------
I had printed 3D printed motorcycles combinations before, but I needed more to make up the maximum needed for the RF Blitzkrieg Battlegroups book. I also printed some nice solo motorcycles that were also available in the same file, here is the whole collection.

As before the MGs were very fragile
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 22 Oct 2022, 07:57

First of all, thanks for the close-up. The look like a good groupe for wargaming. And I am impressed what you can realise with your printer. It is interesting as well, because it is a rare topic. :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 22 Oct 2022, 10:46

These French cavalrymen and motorcyclists look very good. I like the m/c combinations and the dismounted cavalrymen very much. The 3D printer seems to be 'better' perhaps at producing these smaller figures than larger tanks and trucks? Fine work!

I have a French 1940 army in various parts (and so far with little work having been done) and including a couple of boxes of the HaT WW1 cavalry to add to the ranks. My rather limited research has not uncovered quite how mounted cavalrymen were used by the French in the summer of 1940, although I appreciate that they were a part of their Order of Battle.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 22 Oct 2022, 12:27

Minuteman wrote:These French cavalrymen and motorcyclists look very good. I like the m/c combinations and the dismounted cavalrymen very much. The 3D printer seems to be 'better' perhaps at producing these smaller figures than larger tanks and trucks? Fine work!

I have a French 1940 army in various parts (and so far with little work having been done) and including a couple of boxes of the HaT WW1 cavalry to add to the ranks. My rather limited research has not uncovered quite how mounted cavalrymen were used by the French in the summer of 1940, although I appreciate that they were a part of their Order of Battle.

My Rapid Fire book has the 5th DLC based in the Ardennes where I am sure horses would provide better mobility than vehicles. I assume that their standard procedure was to dismount to fight just like infantry.

I still need to paint a few bits before I can do the scenario for the battle at Bouvellemont 16 May 1940 which involved them.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 22 Oct 2022, 17:49

Excellent looking figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Oct 2022, 00:55

It’s great seeing these WWII 3D printed figures. It’s nice to know others are working out the bugs for those of us who may dip our big toe into the water some day. Thanks for sharing your results.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Gallery