Gallery

Miscellaneous Napoleonic Cavalry

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 11 Jun 2023, 11:59

K.B., it's nice to follow this thread and see how your cavalry gradually grows with all those very well painted figures.
Also thanks to Bessiere for the comparison of figures of different brands and the insight into his method of conversion.
It is a pity though that not all 1/72 figures have the same size (there are sometimes even major differences within the same brand), which makes it sometimes difficult to put them together in one scene.
thanks for sharing and keep those cavaliers coming, K.B.
Patrick.
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by k.b. on 12 Jun 2023, 13:52

Thanks a lot gents for your kind words of encouragement.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 17 Jun 2023, 04:03

A couple of interesting figures that look custom made for each other….. British Light Dragoon (13th) v Dutch Red Lancer…..

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 17 Jun 2023, 09:25

Every time again, I'm impressed by the high quality of your painted miniatures,k.b.
These two form a nice couple for a little vignette.
Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by Konrad on 17 Jun 2023, 11:35

Very nice work!
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bessiere on 17 Jun 2023, 23:24

Great detailing on both figures and photographed making it look like morning haze, really nice. Both figures are posed to be acting towards each other very well.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 29 Jun 2023, 12:55

I think the state of mind of a soldier in the Napoleonic era must have been fascinating!

Dutch courage (or gin in the case of the British) must have certainly played a big part in helping them face the harshness of a European winter as well as giving them added resilience to confront a more formidable/numerous foe or even a charge from enemy heavy cavalry.

This kind of one versus one confrontation in the early morning mist is obviously a romantised scenario, (inspired in part by the cavalry duel in the Duellists), that wasn’t perhaps very common…. but just to try and put myself in the skin of either of these two combatants with their different weapons and skills required sets my imagination working at full tilt.

I really need to compose a reading list of titles to expand my comprehension of the period. I recently finished reading Bernard Cornwell’s Waterloo for the umpteenth time and it never fails to inspire.
Any suggestions gents?
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 29 Jun 2023, 13:01

Ps/ To create the mist one merely needs to breathe
on the camera lens and click quickly before it clears
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jun 2023, 14:30

A slight twist of that wrist does corrects the sword arm. However i admire greatly all your painted figures. Well done on that score. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Jun 2023, 14:51

I would suggest Barry Lynden as another excellent source of information/inspiration. Kubrick wanted to do a film about Napoleon and started diving in to research of the period. If I recall correctly, a different film about Napoleon was then released and performed poorly, so Kubrick had to switch gears a bit and do a film set during (in part) the Seven Years' War. But obviously there is a great deal of overlap.

I like your cavalry duel figures, very well done and well photographed. I did not know about the mist trick!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by k.b. on 29 Jun 2023, 17:55

Thanks gents for your comments….will definitely check out the Barry Lyndon movie (I vaguely recollect seeing snippets of it many moons ago).
Only this morning I read that Ridley Scott is working on a new Napoleon movie due for release at the end of the year with Joaquim Phoenix playing the role of Boney. Will take a great performance to outshine Rod Steiger mind you.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by C M Dodson on 29 Jun 2023, 18:46

Beautiful figures and the colours are sublime.

Enjoy Barry Lyndon.

The cinematography is brilliant and is still used as a course reference work for budding directors I believe.

Kubrick was a genius an£ you are too with this pair.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 30 Jun 2023, 20:53

k.b. wrote:I think the state of mind of a soldier in the Napoleonic era must have been fascinating!

Dutch courage (or gin in the case of the British) must have certainly played a big part in helping them face the harshness of a European winter as well as giving them added resilience to confront a more formidable/numerous foe or even a charge from enemy heavy cavalry.

This kind of one versus one confrontation in the early morning mist is obviously a romantised scenario, (inspired in part by the cavalry duel in the Duellists), that wasn’t perhaps very common…. but just to try and put myself in the skin of either of these two combatants with their different weapons and skills required sets my imagination working at full tilt.

I really need to compose a reading list of titles to expand my comprehension of the period. I recently finished reading Bernard Cornwell’s Waterloo for the umpteenth time and it never fails to inspire.
Any suggestions gents?

A superb setting of these two fine Napoleonic cavalrymen, in one to one combat. Great photography too.

I agree with your comments regarding the courage needed to engage in face to face combat armed with these murderous weapons. John Keegan in his famous book 'The Face of Battle' considers this and is worth reading. All too often one or other unit would stop or retreat rather than getting to grips with sabre, bayonet or whatever. Bayonet wounds were comparatively rare, and although I suspect that wounds to cavalrymen inflicted by swords or lances were more common, these would still not be as numerous as we might suppose.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by JurgenH on 30 Jun 2023, 21:16

Beautiful fight scene.I like it very much.
Jürgen
JurgenH  Germany

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 02 Jul 2023, 11:37

Bluefalchion wrote: Kubrick wanted to do a film about Napoleon and started diving in to research of the period. If I recall correctly, a different film about Napoleon was then released and performed poorly, so Kubrick had to switch gears a bit and do a film set during (in part) the Seven Years' War. But obviously there is a great deal of overlap.

It is said that Steven Spielberg will be taking up Kubrick's lost work on Napoleon and will make it a 7-part series for HBO, based on Kubrick's original script. It is still in development stage and as far as I know, the series is not ordered yet. Fingers crossed!
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by MABO on 08 Jul 2023, 07:05

These two figures work perfectly together!
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 10 Jul 2023, 20:16

Have been a bit quiet in recent weeks. Here's a glimpse of what i've been up to, which to be truthful, isn't much. Have used considerable artistic license in terms of the uniform/horse furniture etc but these are my take on the Vistula Legion lancers. The Zvezda Polish Lancers were the obvious choice to represent this very interesting uniform.

Image Image

He's almost finished..........just a little more work on his collar and the base needs to be done.
Tried to vary the photos a little this time......am curious to get some feedback.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 10 Jul 2023, 23:31

Nice looking uniform! I like him! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by k.b. on 11 Jul 2023, 00:18

My marvelous wife found this little display case while she was out shopping and thought i might like it.
Needless to say, I did!
Three variations on a theme....... unsure which uniform i like best. Methinks it's still the Polish Lancers.(Prussian Blue and Alizarin Crimson really take some beating when it comes to colour combinations).
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bessiere on 12 Jul 2023, 05:07

He's really nice and I particularly like how the horse tack and eyes are done. Very subtle details that even if people don't consciously notice it. To me thats what really makes these figures come alive.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery