Ochoin wrote:
Yes, but these were worth waiting for!
Magnificent figures.

donald

I agree! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by k.b. on 18 Jun 2024, 13:41

Firstly, let me say a big thanks to the faithful followers of this thread, namely Chris, Bessiere, Donald, Peter, Santi among others who regularly take the time to write a few words of encouragement. Not sure if my eyesight is failing/deceiving me or the number of views of this thread is actually correct but the last time i looked there had almost been 2 million views. If that is right i must say it is enormously satisfying although i do wish a few others would send comments occasionally. And that feedback need not necessarily be praise - i greatly appreciate constructive criticism and suggestions just as much as I do compliments, honest.
Anyways here are more piccies which i think you are more interested in, than my rambling.........

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Rich W on 22 Jun 2024, 09:31

More stunning work!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 12 Jul 2024, 13:41

Just to make sure i don't forget how to transfer my photos from photobucket over to bennos here are a few minis nearing completion.......

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 12 Jul 2024, 17:49

Keep them coming Keith! They look good so far! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 12 Jul 2024, 23:06

Hussar and cuirassier are top notch KB. I do have to ask why the mount swap for the mameluke? Do you not like all the trappings that come with their horses? I kinda thought you might enjoy that bit.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by k.b. on 13 Jul 2024, 14:02

Thanks Bessiere for your comments. To be absolutely honest I haven’t yet made a decision to swap the Mameluke horses but I have a good mind to. The fact is, I really don’t like the originals from the Mameluke set. For me they look like Avatar versions of horses, their movement and leg positions being completely unnatural. The original Italeri sculptor was certainly not the same person who sculpted their other beautifully proportioned horses.
You are right when you say the horse trappings are at first sight attractive, especially the saddles and saddlecloths which are very nice but when one looks closely would the other ornaments be really sitting perfectly on the horses back in real life, especially while the rider is charging? I don’t think so. Hence, I am slowly building up the courage to abandon the Mameluke horses altogether, to cut away all horse trappings from other horses from my spare box and sculpt on better horse furniture, tassels etc that more accurately portray movement, and at the same time bring the Mamelukes down to the scale of my other 1/72 Napoleonic cavalry.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bill Slavin on 13 Jul 2024, 14:26

I do love this thread, your work is fantastic. As for the two million views, maybe... But my guess is there are a fair number of bots sifting through this forum, which probably accounts for why my server doesn't let me in most days. But your loyal followers certainly are the views that count!!
I have those Marmelukes in my own cupboard and now want to go take a peak and see what you mean about their horses.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 Jul 2024, 19:09

Excellence as standard.

I am particularly impressed with the fine detailing.

Your eyesight is fantastic to get such results.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 16 Jul 2024, 02:43

Thanks Mr Slavin and Mr Dodson for your loyal support. I appreciate your comments greatly.

As you mentioned Bill the 2,009,345 views that appear when I open this thread on my pc are most likely accountable to bots, hackers, crackers etc etc that are making the life of genuine members so difficult to access Bennos nowadays. I know for a fact the slowness and sometimes impossibility to access is deterring all but the diehard members amongst us from visiting the site and continuing to post work and send comments.

When you say my eyesight is fantastic Chris I need to confess that without my optivisor, my eyes have deteriorated considerably of late. They WERE brilliant in bygone days. Nowadays I’d say they are a 4/10 compared to my early twenties when they were truly extraordinary - but my optivisor helps considerably.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 16 Jul 2024, 14:13

A few shots of those Mameluke horses.........

.........and a few other photos of near finished figures

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 16 Jul 2024, 15:35

Very nice work in progress! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 17 Jul 2024, 03:06

Oh my, the detail on the saddles and braiding is fantastic!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by k.b. on 27 Jul 2024, 03:04

I was quietly painting away on my 28mm Zulus when my eye caught sight of a broken brick at the back of my desk. Suddenly I had the idea to use it as a backdrop for some piccies. I dropped my brush, grabbed an almost finished mini, (he still needs buttons painted, white braiding on collar and cuffs, stirrups and other finishing touches on his boots and carbine), took a shot, looked at the blown up display and immediately realised i was onto a winner. Opted to grab a finished horse of the same regiment, the Pavlograd Hussars, and here are the resulting photos. Hope you like them.

Looking closely I realised the hole on his back to which i needed to fit him with a pelisse. Fortunately i had a painted example that hadn't yet been fixed to a rider shooting his carbine, so undressed him and blue tacked the pelisse over this sabre wielding fellow's left shoulder and thus covering that nasty hole. Here's the finished sequence of photographs.

And for Bessiere, let me add that the buckles on the horse furniture, the horse's eyes AND hooves and shoes will be added in due course.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Kekso on 29 Jul 2024, 16:06

That white lining on horse blanket is :shock:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 30 Jul 2024, 19:25

Hi Keith, it's been a long time since I took the time to comment on photos of your new "cavalry artworks". It is true that, due to the sometimes difficult access to the site, I have only visited this forum very sporadically in recent months, and then usually for a very short time due to lack of time.
This thread is nevertheless a pleasure to follow, not only because of the variety of different cavalry units that are discussed, but especially because of the quality of the painting. Each of your figures is a small work of art.
So as always: thanks for sharing and keep them coming.
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by k.b. on 01 Aug 2024, 13:27

Thanks Kekso and Patrick for your kind comments. As many of us have reported the enormous difficuty had in accessing Bennos over recent months it has understandably led to some members visiting less often. I count myself among them. However, I feel obliged to add that in recent weeks i have found it much easier to access the site. Hopefully, the rest of you have experienced the same so, fingers crossed the problems have finally been resolved once and for all, and consequently many of those who stopped visiting will start flocking back, not only to viewing, but also uploading work of their own.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bill Slavin on 02 Aug 2024, 12:33

Two things. First of all, it is always great to see your work, k.b. Clearly your eyes and hand are better/steadier than mine to do such finely detailed painting. Secondly, yes and yes! It is so good to be able to get back on to Benno's once again. I don't know what changed, but I realize that I have honestly missed this space for the sharing of work with such a fine group of fellow hobbyists.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Peter on 02 Aug 2024, 19:41

Fantastic painted rider again! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Gallery