General Wargaming

Renewal: a Napoleonic project

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Mar 2023, 13:10

Let’s be frank – I had & still have a ridiculous number of figures.
Even after the Great Sell-off, I still cover 10 periods (Bronze Age, Punics, Late Antiquity, medieval, ECW, SYW, Napoleonics, Sudan & Zulu War, WW2) with 28 armies.
In excess of 6000 painted figures, I estimate.

I also think that planning, organising, buying war games’ figures is a very enjoyable pastime. Thus, during the Sell-off, I have also made some purchases & many plans.
With regard to my once & still biggest period – Napoleonics – I am engaged in my last cull: Prussians.
I have decided to keep more than I’d originally intended. I will retain 4 cavalry regiments, 7 infantry (4 x Line, , a Reserve & a Landwehr battalion & a battalion of Jager), 4 foot guns & 3 horse guns + requisite command.
This is almost exactly 1/3 of the currently existing Prussian army (I sold a fair bit a few months ago). I hope to sell this unwanted portion off in whole or in parts soon.

The remnant army is, really, too small by itself to represent one side in a garage battle. However, it provides possibilities.
I have a 5 infantry battalion, 1 cavalry regiment Brunswick force. Add these to the Prussians & you have a smallish but viable army to oppose one of my French Corps.
You could add one or more brigades of my British army to raise this to a force that could fight both my French line corps &/or my French Imperial Guard.

Keep in mind my British, by themselves, are a viable, French corps-sized army & you could go the other way & add the Brunswickers &/or the Prussians for a larger game.
I still own a smallish Confederation army & a large Russian (21 infantry battalion etc) army. There are plenty of games in the offing.

Thus, though I have disposed of many of my Napoleonic figures, I now have viable armies of, arguably a higher standard of figure which can provide many & varied battles in the future.
Once I paint a small number of mainly metal figures, I’ll be done. I would hope to use my Napoleonic armies for many ferocious yet very enjoyable Napoleonic battles in the years to come.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to General Wargaming