General

X Anniversary of the Proclamation of King Felipe VI of Spain

Posted by Santi Pérez on 23 Jun 2024, 18:26

On 19 June 2014, Don Felipe de Borbón y Grecia was proclaimed King of Spain in the Parliament.

On the occasion of the tenth anniversary of this proclamation, numerous institutional and festive events were held in Madrid on 19 June 2024, most of them in and around the Royal Palace.

These were those acts, in chronological order:

1. In the morning, a solemn changing of the guard at the Palace, similar to the one held on the first Wednesday of every month, but with some variations due to the special nature of the occasion and the presence of the Royal Family.
2. This was followed, in the Palace's Column Hall, by the presentation of decorations of the Order of Civil Merit to various deserving individuals for their work for the benefit of others.
3. Then, a lunch in the Gala Dining Room of the Palace for a representation of the powers of the State and of society.
4. In the afternoon, the Royal Family met with a group of young people and visited the Royal Collections Gallery, attached to the Royal Palace.
5. In the evening, the Royal Guard Music Unit gave a concert on the esplanade in front of the Palace for all the public who wished to attend.
6. Afterwards, the violinist Ara Malikian performed from the Palace balcony a piece specially composed for the occasion addressed to the Royal Family and all the public present on the esplanade.
7. And as a final act, a videomapping was projected on the east façade of the Palace showing the most important events of this decade.

I was able to attend the first of the events, the solemn changing of the guard. As the different acts of this ceremony are held in different places, this time I came early enough to be able to get into the Plaza de la Armería, where the main events took place. :mrgreen:

On previous occasions when I was able to attend this event, I was forced to stay outside the Palace and was only able to take pictures and videos of the events that happened there. That's how I posted it on the forum.

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26084
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26527

These are different pictures that I was able to take (not of very good quality due to the large number of people present, which made the work very difficult). :(

South façade of the Royal Palace facing the Plaza de la Armería, adorned with various tapestries and a canopy on the main balcony, intended for the presidency of the Royal Family. Before the ceremony began, the square was already occupied on the east side by all the spectators and photojournalists who were able to access the space, including myself. :winky:

Image Image

The Spanish flag flies permanently on the left mast at the top of the façade. Only when the King is present in the Palace is the banner of Felipe VI added on the right flagpole, as was the case when the Royal Family arrived.

At the different gates of the Palace were the infantry and cavalry guard posts that would be relieved during the ceremony.

Before the arrival of the Royal Family, the Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Guard with his General Staff, the outgoing guard from inside the Palace and the incoming guard from outside (preceded by the Pioneers Squad and the Music Unit of the Guard), successively joined the Plaza de la Armería.

Each of the guards included three infantry sections, one cavalry section and two artillery pieces.

The flag of the Royal Guard was added to the formation to the sounds of the national anthem and the regulatory artillery salutes.

Next, the Royal Family arrived at the Plaza de la Armería to the sound of the national anthem and artillery salutes.

They took their position on the main balcony, the Colonel and his staff below them, and then the ceremony went on, with the changing of the various guard posts.

In two moments of the event, the Patrulla Águila (Eagle Patrol) of the Air Force traced the colours of the national flag in the sky over the Royal Palace.

I wasn't able to attend the rest of the events that were held during the rest of the day, although I did take a walk through the center of Madrid to see that the official buildings, public buses, etc., were decorated for the occasion with Spanish flags, portraits of the King and messages alluding to the anniversary. :-D

These are some pictures I took.

Casa de la Villa, former site of the Madrid City Hall.

Modern City Hall and Plaza de la Cibeles, with national flags and royal standards.

Palacio de Correos, site of the government of the Community of Madrid, located in Puerta del Sol.

Congress of Deputies.

Military Archbishop's Church.

Buenavista Palace, site of the Army Headquarters, where another colourful changing of the guard is celebrated, which I have already posted twice in the forum.

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26781
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26805

Two other buildings belonging to the City Hall.

Madrid's Cathedral of Santa María la Real de la Almudena, located in front of the Plaza de la Armería of the Royal Palace.

Public buses.

Informative screen in the Madrid subway.

I also recorded many moments of the changing of the guard on video and with all of them I created the following one that I have on YouTube, for anyone who want to see it and learn a little more about this beautiful ceremony. Please excuse the poor quality of some of its parts due, as I already mentioned, to the large crowd present. :(

https://youtu.be/AcPbf2G_U68

Likes and free subscriptions are very welcome. :lol:

I apologize for the length of this post, thank you for your attention and hope you like it. ;-)

Best regards, dear hobby colleagues. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Jun 2024, 10:58

Santi, thank you very much for the photos & story. Such an impressive event.
And I love the horses - such beautiful animals in the peak of condition.
I'm sure they enjoyed the ceremonies as much as any of the humans.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Jun 2024, 17:25

Very impressive indeed.

The buildings especially look beautiful.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 26 Jun 2024, 18:48

Thank you very much for your kind words, Donald and Chris. I'm very pleased that you liked and appreciated this historic ceremony so much. :-D

Truly, in these times, with a political class so discredited and concerned only with its own well-being, institutions such as the monarchy (at least in Spain) are a source of confidence and security for the majority of normal citizens, lovers of peace, progress and well-being. Precisely for this reason they are so attacked and vilified by certain sectors linked to very specific political ideologies. :(

Ochoin wrote:...And I love the horses - such beautiful animals in the peak of condition...

I totally agree, Donald. These beautiful animals are shown here at their best, proof of the careful attention they receive from their keepers.

When I first published a report on the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace in Madrid, I tried to satisfy Bessiere's curiosity about these horses of the Royal Guard:

"All horses used by staff officers, scouts, bugles and timpani, cuirassiers, lancers and officers and NCOs of the Royal Battery are of pure Spanish breed, with white, black, gray and chestnut coat. Only the horses that pull the cannons and ammunition caissons are hispano-breton ones, with chestnut and black coat".

C M Dodson wrote:...The buildings especially look beautiful...

Fortunately, those responsible for these buildings were aware of the importance of the celebration and decorated them accordingly, Chris. :love:

By the way, I add another building that I forgot to put in the previous post. It's the Palace of the Capitanía General (General Captaincy) and the Council of State. It was here that some of the events of the Military Retreat of 2 May took place, to which I also dedicated a post in the forum.

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26790

Best regards, my friends. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 30 Jun 2024, 21:23

Thanks for sharing Santi! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 02 Jul 2024, 20:15

Always a pleasure to do so, Peter. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain