Work in Progress

old west saloon1/72

Posted by Santi Pérez on 01 Aug 2023, 13:50

What an impressive diorama you have achieved, dms! Everything about it is eye-catching, but I especially love the cactus and the cow skeleton, which add to the desert-like atmosphere of the scene. :love: :love: :love: :love:

My very best congratulations. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by MABO on 01 Aug 2023, 15:29

Peter wrote:And I would like to get my hands on those two riders in the back. :-D

Me too!!! :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by dms on 08 Aug 2023, 15:05

Hi,thanks everybody.The next work will be inspired by the painting of an artist Frederic Remington.
ImageIt is quite dramatic painting, but the challenge to realize it is too strong.Here are the first three figures
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Peter on 08 Aug 2023, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed picture(s).
dms  Europe

Posted by Peter on 08 Aug 2023, 15:43

Wonderfull! :love:

If you search someone to paint them I'm volunteering :mrgreen:

PS: the color of this figures reminds me on the good old Atlantic figures. Ok Wild West was brown but the Ancient figures were this color. :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 08 Aug 2023, 20:30

Hey DMS, you got Mail! ;-)
MABO  Europe

Posted by dms on 09 Aug 2023, 14:35

dms  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Aug 2023, 10:32

Great stuff as usual! The last figure reminds me of an very old Prince August figure:

https://shop.princeaugust.ie/pa211-cowboy-riding-horse-firing-backwards-40mm-scale-mould/

But your seems more natural!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by C M Dodson on 10 Aug 2023, 11:02

These are fantastic and your ‘grip’ of the West is a joy to experience.

I am an old chap and was wondering how you manufacture your figures as it is something that would probably enhance my work?

Might save my fingers too!

Keep up the good work .

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by dms on 13 Aug 2023, 17:28

Thanks a lot to everybody here are a couple more figuresImageImageImageImageImageImage
dms  Europe

Posted by Peter on 13 Aug 2023, 19:15

That are some nice rough riders! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dms on 15 Aug 2023, 14:55

Thank You Peter.if you were in the neighborhood, I would let you paint them, but anyway, I want to taste them first
The last twoImageImageImageImage
dms  Europe

Posted by Peter on 15 Aug 2023, 19:36

Excellent work again! :thumbup:

I live near by. Europe is close enough, no? :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by k.b. on 16 Aug 2023, 00:50

Absolutely extraordinary are the only words that come to mind that best define your work dms.
Not sure how you went about making your masters but these 3D printed copies are magnificent. Do you intend to make them commercially available ? If so how can I place an order?

Coincidentally last Saturday yours truly was at a street market in São Paulo, Brazil and on a second hand book stall came across a book of Frederic Remington’s called The Masterworks that I was unable to resist. Admittedly, it was far from being in mint condition, but for not much more than the equivalent of a fiver, I seriously doubt if any of our forum members would have been able to resist either. Needless to say the original inspiration for these figures titled “A Dash for the Timber” is not only featured in its entirety, but the focal point of the painting has also been shown up close. When I saw your post right now I almost fell off my chair!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by dms on 16 Aug 2023, 20:54

Thanks K.B.,you have found a real treasure:here they are all together.Next will be ApachesImage
dms  Europe

Posted by k.b. on 17 Aug 2023, 00:44

Wow…… the whole group together look brilliant. Saying that, you’re gonna need considerable artistic license to assemble a reasonable amount of Apaches. By my count there are only 3 or 4 painted figures that provide much detail……..
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Susofrick on 17 Aug 2023, 09:23

Agree with Keith! Wow! Really looking forward to the next step. And since the existing Apaches in 1/72 are Atlantic and Waterloo1815 and they're not very good, your figures can only be the best apaches in this scale! And that would probably the same if there were good figures too.
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dms on 17 Aug 2023, 15:56

next stepImageImage
dms  Europe

Posted by k.b. on 17 Aug 2023, 23:29

WOOOW...... am extremely curious to know if you have any idea dms how many Apaches are gonna be in the war party chasing those poor cowboys? These first couple are as brillant as the cowboys, although i think that the plasic or resin used to make them looks like a pretty paint unfriendly surface.

PS/ Am gonna show how totally ignorant i am technologically-speaking now, by asking if we already have 3D printers that are able to create a 3D sculpted figure from a 2D image? Excuse my curiosity dms but i ask because there are parts of some figures that look a little bit flat......if i may be allowed to cast a critical eye on what honestly are overall some pretty magical 1/72 miniatures.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by dms on 18 Aug 2023, 04:36

k.b. wrote:WOOOW...... am extremely curious to know if you have any idea dms how many Apaches are gonna be in the war party chasing those poor cowboys? These first couple are as brillant as the cowboys, although i think that the plasic or resin used to make them looks like a pretty paint unfriendly surface.
I thought I would make at least 12 Apaches.For printed figures I use acrylic paints, without primer (due to laziness) and I have no problems
PS/ Am gonna show how totally ignorant i am technologically-speaking now, by asking if we already have 3D printers that are able to create a 3D sculpted figure from a 2D image?
I'm ignorant too.I think that if there is something that can turn 2d into 3d,then I would rather vote for software than the printer

Excuse my curiosity dms but i ask because there are parts of some figures that look a little bit flat......if i may be allowed to cast a critical eye on what honestly are overall some pretty magical 1/72 miniatures.

I am glad if with your criticisms I can improve my works ,but could you please explain to me what those parts are?
dms  Europe

Posted by k.b. on 18 Aug 2023, 19:18

Good afternoon dms. Of course I don’t mind clarifying my comments regarding what I believe are a few slight imperfections in a few of your miniatures.
To my mind the figure that best illustrates my thoughts is in your post of 15th August in the first of the four photos. I really felt that in the first photograph the rump of the horse looks extremely square while its neck looks extremely flat, almost 1 dimensional. However, what I least like about the same horse is the horse’s tail which to me looks extremely uniform in length and in shape it almost looks like a fan a geisha might be waving to refresh herself on a hot, sultry summer’s day. In contrast to a real horse’s tail which should be extremely 3 dimensional with some hairs floating freely, others overlapping , in an extremely irregular way. I hope you don’t mind my nitpicking but I assure you my intentions are to improve your work so that it’s flawless and nobody can find any fault whatsoever.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress