Work in Progress

The Battle of Aspern Essling 21/22nd May 1809

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Jun 2024, 05:59

Oh no!

I have been in communication with Michael from Supreme Littleness and 1809 blog fame.

He has made the point that church clocks were not common on buildings before the 1850’s.

A little research suggests that church clocks were located inside the building before then and the bell ringing was the method of communication.

My Essling clock is history!

A disaster darling.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Challenger77 on 16 Jun 2024, 19:28

Hello again,
The Building called "Schloss Essling" is historic and lengthwise to the Mainstreet. The Granary aka "Schüttkasten" stand on a Field, facing the Schloss with the Gableside. Here are a few Pics from the Diorama, that is on Exhibition inside the Granary as i wrote before. And there is a Facebook Site
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100066994427531

The Yellow Building should be the "Schloss" the other is the Granary

https://www.bezirksmuseum.at/wp-content ... 40x426.jpg
https://habsburg.org/einblicke/commemor ... g/?lang=en
https://www.aspern.at/beitrag/geschicht ... sten03.jpg

This one show the Church in ASPERN !

https://www.aspern.at/beitrag/geschicht ... sten04.jpg

And that is how it looks from Above via Google Maps today.

Regards
Harry
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 18 Jun 2024, 19:00

Hello Chris,
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 18 Jun 2024, 19:16

C M Dodson wrote:Oh no!

I have been in communication with Michael from Supreme Littleness and 1809 blog fame.

He has made the point that church clocks were not common on buildings before the 1850’s.

A little research suggests that church clocks were located inside the building before then and the bell ringing was the method of communication.

My Essling clock is history!

A disaster darling.

Chris

Hello Chris,
well for such small Chapels as the Esslinger Pfarrkirche at that Time was, he may be right. On the other Hand on St. Stephan was a Clock since the 1500's.
The Chapel in Essling at this Time has also a wooden Tower, no Stonework.
To this Questions
# The next question is how common were roof tiles in 1809?

I think thatch and wooden shingles would be dominant but Michael thinks tiled roofs were the norm.

I noticed the cars in the granary. Are they of value? #

Tiled Roofs would be more in Common, on small Side Buildings there may be Wooden Shingles. But as i heard from a befriended Historian, the thatch or Reet Roofs are not really there.
For the Cars parked in front of the Granery, these are from residents of the Granary itself and surrounding houses. Also from some Visitors to the riding stables, the L Shaped Building on the left Side of the Granary, and the archery range on the right side.
I hope I could help a little and bring some light into the darkness ;-))
Regards
Harry
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 24 Jun 2024, 10:26

Hello again Chris,
here are Pics from last Week. First the #Esslinger Pfarrkirche# or the Church. It has nothing in Common with the Chapel that stood in 1809 on the same Place !

Here are some Pics how the #Schloss Essling# looks today, still very Original.On the backside are new Balconys,trees and so on

And here is the Granary, the Stable on the left side, near the so called #Telephonweg# Street is very hidden by bushes, shrubs and other greenery as you can see on the last 2 pics.

Regards Harry
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Jun 2024, 17:23

Wow.

I really must thank you Harry for putting yourself out so much. It’s not just the fact that you have used your time for me but to upload everything as well.

Thank you.

It is interesting that the chapel is opposite but slightly further down the street from the Schloss. That building by the church looks interesting.

The Granary I have of course built but what an interesting selection of pictures.

Furthermore the stables that you refer to look original as well.

Most impressive.

The town layout lends itself to the buildings not being gable facing to the road. I think your observation about tiles and shingles rings true as well.

I will have some thatched outbuildings and some thatched cottages that I have already built.

Brilliant stuff indeed.

Even more to do now!

Thank y oh once again.

Best wishes,

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Challenger77 on 24 Jun 2024, 20:41

Hi Chris,
no Problem :wink:
The Chapel was 200 Years ago a bit illegal, it was build on a more private Source from the Townresidents.And it was really small with Place for only 80-100 People. The Church or Chapel for Essling was designated to be the one in Eckartsau. Around 16 Miles from Essling.
I think the Stables are in bigger Parts Originals, Windowsills looks much like that Aera.
Kind Regards and have Fun !
Harry
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Jun 2024, 19:06

Austrian Jägers

My research suggests that the majority of Jäger units were equipped with the corsehut hat in 1809.

Hat have the Landwehr set with this hat and I set about chopping them up.

The jäger rifle is shorter than the musket provided so I snipped them down a bit.

The reloading chaps I have left as this would involve major surgery.

I constructed the powder horns from greenstuff and glued them onto the figures where it would be visible.

The horniest, strictly speaking, would not have carried a musket but I felt it appropriate to have a hornist for the unit and this chap is a French convert to the cause.

I am quite pleased with my first unit of these fellows.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Jun 2024, 19:07

The horniest hornist in the Kaisers army.

Predictive text and a slack eye .

Chris

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Jun 2024, 19:08

Brickyards.

There were two brickyards on the battlefield, one of which was used by the Emperor as his HQ.

I did a bit of research and found two pictures of Austrian brickyards from the turn of the century.

The kilns looked interesting and a further bit of digging resulted in this offering from Skytrex.

These models are too big for my purposes so I built my own from card covered in decorators caulk and sculpted. Card provided the doors and reinforcing rings.

The chimneys are balsa, again caulked.

They are not perfect but will look the part for what I have in mind.

I will build some suitable outbuildings to accompany them.

Lots to do.

Chris

Posted by Rich W on 30 Jun 2024, 23:22

Great work on those jägers Chris. I’m not sure the French would want to mess with the horniest hornists!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 01 Jul 2024, 21:41

Lots to see again Chris! Very nice painted Jagers! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress