Work in Progress

Italeri 1/72 Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen I B

Posted by huib on 05 Jun 2024, 16:03

This new demo build is a follow up of my earlier Esci Panzer I B build. A variant of the same vehicle and a variant of the same kit: the Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen (Small command tank)

Panzerbefehlswagen I B in Poland, 1939

The Panzer I tank was so small that it wasn't suited as a command vehicle for tank units. That is why a variant was developed with the turret replaced by an armoured box- like structure providing room for a map table, an extra radio set and a third crew member to serve the radio sets. This enabled the commander of a tank company, batallion or regiment to lead from the front and keep up with the tanks. It was the first specificly designed command tank ever.

Panzerbefehlswagen I B

The Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen was built in 184 examples between 1935 and 1937 by Daimler Benz on the hull of both the Panzer I A as well as the Panzer I B. Untill 1940 this was the standard command tank of all German panzer divisions. The vehicle was used until 1942 on all fronts: Poland, Western Europe, North Africa, the Balkans and the Soviet Union.

A small number of Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen was used as a radio transmitter vehicle or as an armoured ambulance, to transport medics on the battlefield, and evacuate wounded from the battle zone. The vehicles wore the red cross sign and because of this the machine gun was removed and the hole covered by a riveted steel plate.

It is such a Sanitätspanzer (armoured ambulance) that I will build from this kit. The decals are included.
Let's have a look at the kit!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by huib on 05 Jun 2024, 16:10

Italeri 1/72 Sd.Kfz. 265 Panzerbefehlswagen
This kit is a re-issue from 2017, from a much older Esci kit from 1976

Image[/url]
Nice box with new box-art.

The kit is providing decals for four different schemes, including a red cross version.

The decals sheet is good looking. Knowing Italeri, quality will be good too.

The large sprue is identical to the Esci Panzer I kit. It contains the hull and the wheels.

The second much smaller sprue is specific for the Panzerbefehlswagen: it contains the box-like superstructure.

And the third sprue contains the link & length tracks. Much better than the rubber band tracks in my opinion. These were part of the later Esci kits already, so not new from Italeri.

That's all! Let's start!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by huib on 05 Jun 2024, 16:14

Lower hull
As usual the build of a tank starts with the lower hull.

With only four parts construction goes fast.

Contrary to my other tank builds I now continue with the running gear. All wheels cut loose and cleaned up.

Road wheel suspension constructed.

All wheels glued in position.

The seperate track parts.

And the track parts glued in place.

I tried to create some track sag by bending the track lengths a bit.
Now on with the upper hull.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Santi Pérez on 06 Jun 2024, 12:27

As always, a promising start, huib. I will certainly follow this thread with great interest. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 07 Jun 2024, 18:29

As always I will follow this topic! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 09 Jun 2024, 16:27

Thank you, Santi and Peter!

Upper hull
Now on with the top part of the vehicle.

This kit suffers from the same issue as the earlier Panzer IB kit (as basically these are the same parts).
The air inlet above the motor deck has strange corners.

So I sanded these flat. Luckily the plastic has sufficient "flesh on the bones" for this reshape. Also the sides of the motordepartment had to be adjusted.

The air inlet got a grill from styrene strip. And the interior is painted black to prevent light reflection in the finished model.

The armoured crew compartment is glued on the hull. Some filler was needed to smooth out different seams.

And the upper hull is glued to the lower hull. A bit of filler to hide the front seam.
Now it's time for the small parts and the homemade additions.
huib  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 10 Jun 2024, 22:18

I like it how you want it all be historical correct! Looking good so far! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 11 Jun 2024, 21:03

Thanks Peter!

Detailing
I found three pictures of the Kleiner Panzerbehlswagen in the Red Cross version:

I used them as a source of inspiration for elaborating this model. Especially the last picture contains a lot of interesting information.

During the earlier Panzer 1B build I was pointed to the fact that the engine deck hatches were of the tropical type, with exta ventilation facilities. For this European version they have to be just flat.

So I added a lot of detail, including sparetracks, a box and jerrycan on the glacis.

And boxes and stretcher racks on the back. I glued a piece of purple gauze on the exhaust damper to simulate a grill.

The small hatch on the exhaust deck was simply sanded flat. But for the big hatch it was easier to make a new one.

On to a bit of paint, I think.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by JurgenH on 12 Jun 2024, 15:44

Hi, Huib
Super Idee for abuild. I like your excellent scratch work.
Jürgen
JurgenH  Germany

Posted by huib on 13 Jun 2024, 20:17

Thanks, Jürgen!

Spray and brushwork
The airbrush was taken from the shelf again.

Black primer.

Preshade using light grey.

The basecolour is Panzer Grau, for which I used Vallejo antracit.

Details painted with a brush.

Next step will be the decals.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 16 Jun 2024, 21:20

Looks good so far. :thumbup:

Was the inside of that tank so bright?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by huib on 17 Jun 2024, 21:09

Yes, Peter, the inside of the tank was so bright to support visibility inside the vehicle with closed hatches. The official German name for the interior colour was Elfenbein (Ivory)
Nevertheless the inside of the opened hatches should be panzer gray for camouflage purposes. I took some artistic freedom to paint them in ivory to add some more visual interest to the vehicle.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by huib on 17 Jun 2024, 21:17

Decals

A gloss cote is applied, and apart from the Italeri decal sheet I selected an extra red cross and a german cross from the sparebox.

Superior decal quality from Italeri. Applying the decals was not easy as several decals had to be cut to pieces before being applied to the opened side doors.

Moreover a few decals had to be placed over the vision slits. Using Daco strong as a solvent the decals almost perfectly folded around the hatches.

Next step is weathering.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Santi Pérez on 19 Jun 2024, 17:44

Great progress, huib. Go on with it! :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to Work in Progress