Work in Progress

IF. 8 German handcart

Posted by JurgenH on 12 Jun 2024, 16:01

Hello dear plastic sniffers
I would like to introduce you to my new project. It's the IF.8. Never heard of it or just a faint memory?
It's the infantry handcart. If.8.

It was built from 1941 -45 in many versions. Since there are not many models, (Vaillant, a bit big for 72 and in 3D print FCM) I decided to scratch build this model. I think there will be 6 or 7 versions. This cart was very flexible in its handling. It was available for the crew train, horse train, as FlaMG, with tarpaulin, for 4 MGs, and as a transporter for 6 Panzerschrecks with wooden superstructure.

In scale 1:72 the cart will be 9x 11mm. It was introduced as a replacement for the Heeresfeldwagen 1.
It was never intended for the Kraftzug. There are pictures where it is attached to a motorcycle or Kettenkrad. On closer inspection of the pictures, however, the drawbar has a completely different design and is attached higher than on the IF .8 The drawbar on the IF .8 could be replaced as required. In principle, there were 3 towing options
crew pull

horse train 1-2 horses in a row Imagethe possibility of attaching several IF.8s together in a horse-drawn train. it was even planned to move the IF.8 in a dog-drawn train. Like a troika with 3 large dogs. Whether it was used by the troops is not known for sure.

Image[/

It is a bit fiddly to build the carts. Partly I had to make the building material first, also the bending of the raw frame and push rods from drawn cast iron was a bit time-consuming because the right material had to be found first. I have many cast frames of old models in stock. But without company labeling. Revell worked best for my needs. I had recently finished a Revell model and had kept some rods. I was able to bend the threads made with Revell plastic at right angles without any problems. I have used over 1m of the threads including errors, plus 90 mm U-angle profile made from 0.2mm plastic card.
plastic card. I modeled some of the wheels and cast others. More on this later. The 8,8cm Puppchen and the paratrooper gun LG 41 have the same wheels as the IF.8
But now to the building report.
I had a lot of fun building it. After I had some practice, I quickly made progress. Then there were also lulls and a vacation in between. Whenever I have a problem with the model, I put it off. When I start I'm always amazed at how easy it was.
As always with me: If you have any questions about the construction, feel free to ask me.

Enough writing, here are the first pictures from the production.
First I made the frames, made the cut-outs with 2 cut-off wheels in the Dremel, and glued in the floor. A development 9,11,9,11, + tab for gluing.

url=https://postimg.cc/rdmPqH2r]Image

So those were the first construction steps. There will be an update when I have presentable pictures...
JurgenH  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Jun 2024, 16:37

Plastic sniffers?

Brilliant, just like the cart is shaping up to be.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by huib on 13 Jun 2024, 20:08

This is really tiny, Jürgen! Good job.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 16 Jun 2024, 21:16

Very nice Jurgen! I'm curious about the progress on this tiny carts! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Work in Progress