General

Diary X: 2018 August v. Pieter

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Jun 2021, 16:44

After my first ever win in a duel involving a horse in July of 2018, the next subject was on old favorite: one of the Atlantic Indian warrior figures. I had first purchased this set as a teen. I loved all the Atlantic sets at the time, although now it is clear that most of them are toys and there was not much attempt to make them historically accurate. Here is the original post:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21895

I tried to research what tribe this fellow must be from, but after a few hours it was clear that I would never find the answer, although Sioux was probably the closest.

I have always appreciated the terminology used in Canada: "First Nations." So I used that for my title. And since the figure depicted was basically a stereotype, I decided to pretend he was a movie extra to fend off any accusations of historical inaccuracy.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Jun 2021, 16:47

I am not familiar with Pieter, but he was kind enough to send the figure in addition to agreeing to the duel, although I actually had a few copies of my own, ready to hand.

I looked at many images of shields from the plains people, but could find none that resembled the rough cut eyes and mouth from the figure supplied. So I decided to shave off the raised image and paint instead a typical example. If that was bending the rules slightly, it was just for fun.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Jun 2021, 16:52

For skin tone I went with a brownish red. Sadly I waited too long to write this entry, so I can no longer recall what paint combination I used. Which is a pity, because it seems the face of the finished product won my some votes.

A dark background made it difficult to discern the color of the shirt on my entry--it is actually a dark purple. Pieter's white background was a better choice to show off the dark brown he selected for the warrior's garment.

So it was another win for Mr. X. You may notice that I had grown in confidence and strategic decision making by this time. I found that the more thought I put into each entry, the better was the final result.

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Jun 2021, 16:53

And do not forget, there is a duel currently running:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24777

Return to General