Modelling

Rifle slings

Posted by Ochoin on 22 Jun 2023, 07:41

I've looked. And looked.
What colour is a WW2 British paratrooper's rifle sling? Preferably, give me a vallejo paint colour.

Additional comment: what colours do you paint them? Check 8 online experts & you get 8 different sets of colours.
I've decided on (camo smock) Vallejo's Middlestone, Dark Russian Green & Flat brown (with a bit of burnt red mixed in).
I haven't got to berets yet & don't want to buy a bottle just to paint them. Trying to mix maroon from what I have should be a challenge.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by steve_pickstock on 22 Jun 2023, 10:35

You could probably get away with British Uniform, or failing that Buff even Middle stone.
These are early war uniforms, and they are re-enactors, but some of the equipment sold today is from original stock, but I'm not aware that slings underwent any massive changes. Having said that there is quite a variation in colours. The good thing about this image though is that you're seeing the colours with a modern camera and and getting a better idea of what they look like in good light.

On the left hand figure the sling is almost identical in colour to his battledress, while there is a green tint to the sling (and the rest of the equipment) of the figure on the right. So I'm not sure you can point at one colour and say "this one!"

steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 22 Jun 2023, 15:02

In the Belgian army we had the same color as the belts on our uniform or backpack. I presume that this will be so for other armies like the British.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 24 Jun 2023, 12:00

There is attention to detail, donald, and then there is real attention to detail. I have to admire the fact that you are trying to get the right colour for rifle slings in what I presume is 1/72 or 28mm scale.

I think the slings shown on Steve's photo are about right for a standard issue British army rifle of the period.

As for the maroon Parachute Regiment beret, a fairly dark shade would be appropriate I think. There is an interesting article here:
https://sergeanttombstoneshistory.wordp ... red-beret/
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Harry Faversham on 25 Jun 2023, 13:28

Vallejo desert sand/yellow ochre is good for rifle slings, their 'burnt red' makes a good base for berets, too,
Note... even if you do the paras webbing blancoed green, all slings Bren, Sten, PIAT and rifles should be desert sand. Slings and them Sten pouch thingys weren't blancoed.
A picture being worth a thousand words, as they say, here's Bob and Dave to the rescue!

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Return to Modelling