Modelling

Arghhhh, what's happening ?

Posted by Iceman1964 on 02 Jan 2022, 16:30

Just completed my Ascari's diorama, left for the night in the transparent box ready for the "photo session" next day.
When the day after I open the box, white spots are covering the figures and also part of the rocks :drool: ... it must be fungus or mold....

I have tried to dry the diorama with a phon and now left to open air... the white spots are not removable with brush :(

Has someone some suggestion on how to proceed ?
Thanks a lot for the help
Enrico

Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Wiking on 02 Jan 2022, 17:22

A very sad situation. :mad:

Never see something like that.
Never heared about something like that.
A hefty chemical reaction.
No clue what to do.

Poor mate.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Peter on 02 Jan 2022, 19:14

I don't have seen such thing before. Was it dry when you it went in the transparation box? Did you use varniss?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 02 Jan 2022, 19:32

I have seem similar when using Army painter back to Matt, did you use it on these?
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 02 Jan 2022, 19:49

The rocks look fine. The white spots give them additional variety.

The men, obviously, not so much. What exactly did you spray on them? That may change the answer.

Try a woman's makeup brush. Very good for getting dust and excess stuff off of a figure without damaging it.

Another option would be to give the figures a dark wash which might obscure the white spots.

So sad to see your great work marred, but do not lose hope my friend!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by JueHue on 02 Jan 2022, 20:25

Did you use matting agents in the paint; something Tamiya or something. Then it was too much. I've used it before with the same result.
Jürgen
JueHue  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Iceman1964 on 02 Jan 2022, 20:29

I used same paints and washing of the previous dioramas (vallejo), and no final spray or others.
May be the assembly was not completely dry when boxed, at least in the rocks and in the base, where I passed the last washings and dtybrushings.... anyway now I tried gently passed a brush dipped in vinegard, the white seems disappeared and the paint below seems undamaged...unbelievable !!!
But I want to see tomorrow how will be the situation....cross fingers !
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Bluefalchion on 02 Jan 2022, 23:35

I would call it a Christmas Miracle but it is January 2nd!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Rich W on 03 Jan 2022, 02:26

Fingers crossed they're all ok tomorrow, such a shame if your fine efforts are slightly tarnished.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Alinmanila on 03 Jan 2022, 06:31

insect spray will kill most fungi
Alinmanila  New Zealand

Posted by Iceman1964 on 03 Jan 2022, 19:40

Update on the on-going war-against-the-evil-fungi : the "vinegar painting" worked well yesterday, but today the white spots reappeared, even if in smaller amount :(
I will reapply the vinegar, hoping not to compromize the figure paint, about the insect spray I fear it will crack the paint or cause a glossy shade.
The first sunny day (not easy in this season :xd: ) I'll try to expose to the sunlight, may be it could help.
Let's see how it goes ...

In the meantime I have made all photos of the diorama, I'll put them in a dedicated post, hoping it will not remain the only memory of such a disgraced work !
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Patrick71 on 04 Jan 2022, 09:50

OMG! That's a pity. After having put so much work in a fine diorama and beautiful figures being confronted with such a fenomenon....that must be depressing.
I really hope you will find a remedy for it.
Patrick
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Michael Robert on 05 Jan 2022, 13:11

Hello Iceman,

I am reacting a bit late on this, but will comment nonetheless (being a professional in chemistry, glues and paints).
The white stuff is surprising to me as well. If it is mould you should be able to confirm by its typical mouldy smell. Now, to obtain mould you need warm temperature and moisture - when conditions are good it can appear over night.
The appearance of mould in paints, varnishes and glues is actually accentuated nowadays because most are water based, and what is really new is that biocide additives preventing decay and mould of water-based mixtures have been required legally to reduce its levels (in the EU). This with the objective of reducing the level of toxines released into nature. This also means that if you have used a water-based varnish and it is infected with yeast it will grow quickly after application (when conditions are favorable).
Your vinegar treatment is a good start - certainly anti-mould and helps cleaning. However, vinegar is not a durable anti-fungus treatment. For that you need stronger stuff. Maybe a shampoo or some liquid commercial soap can be more effective (diluted). They also contain biocide (maybe more than in your varnish).
Hope this helps
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Modelling