Questions

About casting a figure

Posted by Emperor on 22 Jun 2014, 18:29

I am interested in casting my own figures, so I need to know where can I buy a good liquid molds whit reason price in which I can cast figures easy, and that one mold can produce up to hundred figures?
So can anyone tell me where can I buy these molds, I have friends in Swizerland, Russia, America etc etc...
Emperor  

Posted by Fredericus-Rex on 22 Jun 2014, 20:24

Hi,
do you want to cast your figures in Resin or Tin?

If you like to cast your figures in Resin you need a vacuum device that produces a powerful vacuum.

If you like to cast your figures in Tin you need a centrifugal casting device and furnace.
Mould for tin casting Tin figures.

Casting http://www.sdtb.de/index.php?id=947&igdetail=2#video

And forget it, casting 100 Resin or tin figures out one mold. If you have luck you get 50 figures out one mold.
Fredericus-Rex  Germany

In memoriam

Posted by Alex on 22 Jun 2014, 20:42

Do yourself casting - very exciting. Especially if it is a hobby and not a business. But in your case, I'm sure the way is talking about Konny - the right. :cheers:
Alex  Russia
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Emperor on 23 Jun 2014, 07:45

Thanks friends...
Emperor  

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Jun 2014, 23:40

Has anyone experiences in "casting" small items in plastic? I'm keen to create shields suitable for dervishes (eg the Waterloo1815 set has unshielded figures).

I think if I could make a mould out of maybe green stuffI could melt a sprue into it.

Does this sound feasible?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Kekso on 29 Jun 2014, 07:39

@Ochoin... Just a suggestion... try to use Oyumaru for making molds. It is very easy and cheap (we're talking about 5-10€, shipping included on Ebay). With that mold make shields out of green stuff.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 29 Jun 2014, 09:57

An idea what Oyumaru is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Z1xwjTo-M
(if you don't know already :-D )
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by poky on 03 Jul 2014, 12:18

http://midnightgreys.blogspot.nl/2012/1 ... mould.html

maybe this tutorial I wrote is also of some help
poky  Netherlands

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jul 2014, 01:10

This is an interesting question,and one that I myself have thoughts on. Not to make and sell,but to cast good quality figures that I can no longer obtain like the one`s down below.

So I am mixing up my own Silocone Putty to make some Mould`s because this stuff is quite expensive to buy,but making your own is far cheaper. 100 % Silocone and Corn Flour,Starch ,Mixed into a dough,(You can also use baby powder.) When cured it is a tuff rubber type mould,which can be used time and time again. ( Three model figure to a mould. Cost about three pounds Sterling) I have cast boiling hot Wax into this type of mould before ,but never metal. I`m mainly going to make two part moulds and I am going to cast some in resin using a large syringe! No High Tec stuff needed as long as you vent your moulds so the air can escape as you fill it . Other`s too in plaster of Paris for my Waterloo Diorama. I`m also making some rubber mould`s later that I`ll cast up in white metal my own mix. When the moulds are made all I have to do is fudge out my old casting up ladle,( used years ago to cast up my brothers fishing ledges ) and turn on the gas cooker,melt the metal and pour it into the required mould and tap it. Early days yet though because I am awaiting deliveries of stuff. Doing a tutorial no, because as I see it there would be no real interest in this my type of work. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jul 2014, 02:00

On E Bay.
R T V High Temperture Resistance Mould Making Rubber. 500g Kit. Part A 250 g Part B 250 g .Shore Hardness A 55.............Price £12.00 Postage £4.00 in G B. Good Luck if you try it. I am trying to track down a bigger Tub of this stuff. Always willing to help a fellow member. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Jul 2014, 08:03

@ Kekso & Poky

Thanks. I'm not trying anything too difficult so your advice is welcome.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jul 2014, 11:33

After reading the question,of How to Cast a Figure,I decided that as a member of the Forum that I would do my utmost to answer it in a most correct and by far,not a complicated way of doing so.To cast a few figures it is not worth the money out- lay,however in my case I need about 300 of the Grenadiers already shown.So it is well worth my effort ,time and money to do so.

This is what you can buy for £150,in order to make Rubber Mould`s for casting Plaster or Plastic Resin( Not Metal! ) I did not buy this product.

As seen below,at under £6.00 for two,I decided to make my own Rubber Stuff up myself and save tons of money by buying this type 100% Silicon instead. The process of how to,I have already described. By doing so the money I saved paid for all my other stuff.

I have trolled the Internet and have bought high Quality stuff,to make Moulds a plenty. High Heat Resistance Rubber 1 kg kit`s as seen above at £20.00, which will be used in connection with Metal Casting. Also Lots of 100% Silicon for Mould Making which will be cast in a One to One Mix Plastic Resin. The cost came in including shipping cost`s around the £100 mark,however this is not to bad for Two Systems of casting Model Soldiers . I will have enough stuff to cast hundred`s of model`s,and make lot`s of Mould`s too.Plus what an education my Grand Children will have making their very own favourite Toy`s. More Metal I`ll need later,but what the heck it`s only money,a mean`s to an end. Lot`s of stuff on You Tube on Casting up Metal Mould`s,Making Mould`s both in Rubber and Silicon. I will also be making 28mm scale Mould`s too.All for my own personal use and not for sale,I have no intention to break Copyright Law ,a thing I happen to know a little about. On a closing note,there are people on You Tube melting down Coins to cast Moulds,I do not recommend anyone do this,because in Great Britain,10 year`s in Jail is not at all a nice future prospect to have. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jul 2014, 11:48

Opp`s! I forgot to include the Plastic Resin needed to cast plastic figure`s by way of a Syringe! £ 70.00. ( Expensive true,but I saved £120 by not buying that other stuff! )
The Pressure from the action of using the Syringe is more then adiquite in this system of Casting Up. Hope all this is of help for those who wish to try. I promise it will be quite fun. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jul 2014, 20:58

The 150mm,and 100mm Syringe will make a perfect job of casting up the plastic Resin. The other stuff you`ll also need in the process and protection end of the work. All bought on E Bay at total cost of £11.00.

To those that this Topic might concern it is not against the Law,any Law in any land under the sun, to make casting`s of model soldier`s if,and I stress if,they are for your own use. It is only against the Law to sell them,and in this I have no intention of doing so.However I will give some away to friend`s and this is not breaking any law either.
In helping to answer the question of casting a figure,it has been implied that I am a Criminal Rat! I am no such thing. If somebody ask`s a question in the first place,and I answer it ,I hardly expect that person to imply such a thing to me. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Jul 2014, 22:15

@ Kekso

I looked here for Oyumaru. Needless to say, no-one stocks it.

However, the net provided me with an overseas supplier. Bless them.

Thanks for your help. I plan to do a bit more than just make shields now.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jul 2014, 22:43

You can buy it on E Bay,at this present time.There`s Tons of the stuff available. I bought the black stuff,and they have several colours too. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Jul 2014, 07:06

@ Kekso

Oyumaru arrived today by post. I'll tell you how it worked out on my Dervish shields.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Jul 2014, 12:57

That`s good news Ochoin.The Oyumaru arrived that I ordered too. Now making Casein from milk! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Jul 2014, 23:45

Make sure you show you efforts here.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jul 2014, 09:43

584 hit`s on this question and answer topic,which means it has nearly doubled in two days. Interesting too is one high street Massive Store in Norwich is selling most of the stuff I bought in their Arts & Craft department which is part of their Huge Toy Section,but mostly ready mixed in jars and under differing labels. However at three times the price I paid. Hobbies are big business, but they don`t always have to cost the earth ( Means be Way to Costly! ) For those who need a few figures the cost is not worth it. However guys if you are in this hobby and get a real buzz from making stuff out of cardboard,plaster,rubber,plastic,clay ,sand or even metal it is. Showing my result`s here now that is a serious question unlike the initial question asked here. No I don`t think so. Well not on this topic which is finished and can be taken no further in my eyes,because that question ,and the question`s arising from it have been answered in full. An open ended topic on the Modelling Section,now there`s a thought for everyone interested in doing so. BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Questions