Work in Progress

Conversions and casualties, French cavalry at Waterloo

Posted by Rich W on 19 Mar 2023, 09:38

you've done an excellent job with these. I'm looking forward to seeing more updates in the future,
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 25 Mar 2023, 22:54

The latest additions:

Jumping wounded French

Dragoon going down
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 25 Mar 2023, 23:58

Nice progress! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bessiere on 26 Mar 2023, 04:13

Thanks Peter. I took advantage of my son visiting to shoot some quick pics with his Iphone 14. Those cameras are superb. Every defect is clearly displayed. :-D But that points out what I need to fix before it's "done" but I'd bet I'm preaching to the choir about that.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Minuteman on 26 Mar 2023, 12:04

Superb, some very realistic casualties for Ney's futile massed cavalry charge on 18th June 1815. Keep up the good work! :yeah:
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 28 Mar 2023, 00:58

A couple more additions:
The Happy Nappy
My first Napoleon figure in 1/72. Only took me 5 years to get around to painting him. :oops:
Working on some barrels full of arms and legs for outside the field hospital. Those should be lovely :shock:

Btw none of these are finished and I find the merciless nature of photos most helpful in pointing out exactly what needs to be done. We are so fortunate to have these tools currently available. Pics taken with my sons I-phone 14. Guess what my wife is getting for her birthday? "Oh honey, can I please borrow your phone for 10 minutes ?"
Cheers,
Bessiere

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 28 Mar 2023, 02:18

If I were to find a fault in your work Bessiere I would say that several of the Cuirassier horses appear to be a wee bit on the small side to be carrying such heavy troopers. I think you ought to consider using some of the Italeri Carabinier horses. For me I love the sculpting, pose variations and the size. I think the only detail on the horse furniture that one needs to contemplate changing is the blanket roll which for the Carabiniers is circular, rectangular for the Cuirassiers. The rest, I’d say the miniatures are top class.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bessiere on 28 Mar 2023, 03:17

Thank you KB, you are correct those Zvezda figures are rather large for any other horses than their own. Even Napoleon's mount looks small and its from the same Italeri set but I love the feeding pose, it's so relaxed and fits his jolly mood (if Napoleon were ever jolly). It seems we have a demi-club of sorts going; French cavalry maniacs (bendy where are you?). I always find inspiration in your work and learn from it.
Cheers,
Bessiere

PS- I primed up Russian guard Cossacks today so they're on deck in the near future. I might go for a large unit of 2 dozen.

Posted by Rich W on 28 Mar 2023, 23:31

Great updates again.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 29 Mar 2023, 21:59

Rich W wrote:Great updates again.

I agree! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 02 Apr 2023, 11:01

Nice conversions and some interesting and inspiring poses, Bessieres!
Making a series of killed and injured gives you the chance to deal with different units, which is conducive to keep on going.
thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by Bessiere on 05 Apr 2023, 17:34

I wanted to try making barrels and piles of amputated limbs. Turns out to be much trickier than I thought to get realistic blood. Also we have 2 Dutch Red Lancers and a single Empress Dragoon in various stages of distress.

Posted by k.b. on 05 Apr 2023, 18:28

Absolutely BRILLIANT Bessiere! Love them all but in particular I love the Lanciers Rouge!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Apr 2023, 08:23

Very nice painting Mr B.

Your Napoleon looks lovely and well done with the eyes.

The barrels of limbs are of interest as most modellers ignore this horrible part of warfare.

One suggestion though is that when the blood stops circulating the flesh goes a grey/ blue due to cyanosis.

You can see this on old paintings of the dead on battlefields.

Incidentally, I am just modelling this sort of thing myself for 9.45AM.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Apr 2023, 09:04

These latest casualties look very good! I admire the imaginative way you are taking figures - some of which are very familiar sculpts - and 'contorting' them (if that is the right word) into men and horses in the throes of being hit and wounded. And great painting too!

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Apr 2023, 09:09

C M Dodson wrote:The barrels of limbs are of interest as most modellers ignore this horrible part of warfare.

Yes, an interesting and all-too-true point. Ranks of splendidly-painted warriors marching in step across a table-top battlefield does ignore the realties of war. I am as guilt of this as any....although having said that I am now embarked on creating a couple of dozen casualties for my War of Spanish Succession armies. I'm not sure that I will be creating barrels of bloody limbs however, :( :shock:

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Apr 2023, 11:43

Very kind of you KB. I have boxes of ESCI and Zvezda Lancers to use up and this is what came out. The horse furniture for them is the easiest to make with greenstuff incidentally.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Apr 2023, 12:01

Thanks for checking them out Mr D, glad you liked my Napoleon even though I noticed I forgot his cockade. Ah those merciless pictures! I need them just to check on myself as I develop literal blind spots from working on the same figure too long. It's a real phenomenon where "trust your eyes" doesn't apply. I look forward to seeing what you do with amputated limbs. I initially tried to do some "aging" by using blue and gray (valejo steel grey to be precise) but ended up painting it over using several shades of red as well as some glossy red as a visual reference for time. Bare limbs themselves aren't terribly easy to find. HaT Carthaginian allies and Pegasus mission Indians were sacrificed as the primary donors. Thanks for the cyanosis tips, worth going back and touching up a few.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Bessiere on 06 Apr 2023, 12:12

Quite right Minuteman. Italeri French Hussar and dragoon horses along with Zvezda French cuirassiers got some flame treatment but I'm pleased with the results. I'm not going to tell you how many I ruined trying to get one I liked! I've finally decided dental floss is the easiest material for creating reins with after using using string, wire and plastic sprues. We also have some serious differences in size among the 1/72 scale sets and I didn't realize how big the Zvezda figures really are in comparison. They're monstrous! Amputated limbs isn't for everyone but I figured it would belong somewhere in a realistic diorama so why not? Thanks for stopping by Mark.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Apr 2023, 18:27

Hello Mr B.

This is from the Quatre Bras re fight which might give you some ideas.

Amputations as standard!

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress