Gallery

Spanish Civil War

Posted by Kekso on 12 Jan 2022, 18:30

Peter wrote:can we have a groupshot of all of them together? ;-)

I support this request :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 12 Jan 2022, 18:51

All of Joan's shots are group shots!

Tell me, why were the Spanish foreign elements more likely to support the fascists? You have the foreign legion, the Spanish settlers in North Africa, the Moroccon or African native units, and so on, all fighting for Franco.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by despertaferro on 12 Jan 2022, 19:50

Dear friends, I'm in the process of uploading two more units...
Once this done, I'll answer you all...
:stressed:
despertaferro  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 12 Jan 2022, 21:30

Another wonderful and colourful unit to add to your SCW armies, Joan. I love especially the beautiful "mojón":

My best compliments. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by despertaferro on 12 Jan 2022, 23:04

CNT / FAI Anarchist Militia. Aragon Front.

despertaferro  

Posted by despertaferro on 13 Jan 2022, 01:40

CNT / FAI Anarchist Militia Madrid Front.

despertaferro  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 13 Jan 2022, 09:54

Wonderfully atmospheric as always.

It is a pity that you do not put them into action.

They would look fantastic.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 13 Jan 2022, 10:07

Looks like somebody did a lot of paiinting the latest! :-D Another great one Joan! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by despertaferro on 13 Jan 2022, 10:28

Now I see that I did'nt take any picture of the Madrid's Anarchist command base...
Here they are...

Later I'll post info about minis, historical context and answer your comments.

Thank you for your time

despertaferro  

Posted by huib on 13 Jan 2022, 14:20

Great work. I'm especially fascinated by your wide range of old, worn out and improvised armoured vehicles. Are these kits or scratch built or a combination of both?
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Santi Pérez on 13 Jan 2022, 20:42

I'm amazed on seeing how you choose the right figures from different eras, countries, armies and manufacturers to add each one to the most suitable unit. Congratulations, Joan. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by PhilC on 13 Jan 2022, 22:29

What impress me the most is that it seems that you never paint twice the same figure... are they all converted ? Anyway, it's brilliant.
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by despertaferro on 22 Jan 2022, 21:25

Hello...

First of all, I apologize for taking so long to answer to your kind comments. Being too busy lately...

Peter, Kekso...

I'm sorry, but it's very difficult for me to do that for now ...
I’m very busy at work and it isn't going to slow down until summer. Lets see if I can finish at least some Condor's Legion DCA bases and one more Republican Basque Battalion.

Bluefalchion...

In the twentieth century, the last remnants of the formerly vast Spanish Empire were very small posts in Africa and the northern coastal strip of present-day Morocco. Having been at war with the rebel tribes of Abd el-Krim for a long time, the Spanish troops stationed in the colony were the only professionals with experience in combat. To prevent the constant bleeding of inexperienced recruits, which had led to large protests and the fall of some government, they were replaced by native troops (the Regulars) and units of Foreign Legion made in imitation of the French one. The Foreign Legion was a military unit made up of stateless individuals and criminals. Deserters, fugitives from justice or convicts who were offered the opportunity to commute the prison sentence for enlistment in the Legion. Cannon fodder whose loss would not matter to anyone. 
Spain has always had a long tradition of military interference in the country's government, and once the Republic became aware of the military conspiration, it sent suspicious generals to North Africa thinking that isolation would make them impossible to carry out their plans. But the fact was that the colonies were populated by the most reactionary elements of Spanish society and found the right breeding ground. Therefore, they could freely conspire. The Republican government didn't care much about, for them being stuck in North Africa.
But once the military coup took place, Hitler and Mussolini's support for Franco became essential in providing the aircraft and the protection needed to establish an airlift that allowed to ferry the Northafrican units to peninsular Spanish soil.

Huib...

They are metal or resin models from small companies such as Minairons, Steel Works or Panzer Garage... The Panzer I flamethrower is an S-Model vehicle with a metal flamethrower tube from Panzer Garage.

PhilC...

I like variety and I pay the price by mixing unmixable figures from any manufacturer that makes anything I can use... :-D

Many thanks!!
despertaferro  

Posted by huib on 25 Jan 2022, 11:35

Thanks!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by MABO on 27 Jan 2022, 07:35

Thanks again for the history lesson. Last time I discussed the time of Franco with my Spanish hairdresser. As a young boy he had to cheer to the convoy of vehicles of Franco driving home.

For me it is still unbelievable that he was a dictator until the seventies in a continent, that overcomes the N**is in Germany. We should all be a aware of the stupid nationalists and right-wing parties regaining votes all over again.
Sorry for being of topic!

Btw: I really like the set of female warriors from Minairons in general and your command set of the Madrid's Anarchist in particular.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by despertaferro on 27 Jan 2022, 14:40

Dear Mabo ...

All the hopes of the Spanish Republicans were based on the certainty that, once the Axis had been defeated in Europe, Franco's regime would soon follow ...
But at the end of the war communism became the main enemy of the Western powers, and, in this sense Franco was a fanatical anti-communist.
I know for you, living in civilized countries and knowing long periods of democrcy, could be hard to believe, but when I was very young (born in 1960...) and involved in left handed political movements, had to flee for my life while gluing political posters at night more than once. Police was'nt the main problem, althought they could beat you badly. But Fascist Gangs like Cristo Rey had not problem with killing what they considered "Reds".
Run for your life through the narrow medieval streets of an old town while you hear insults, threatenings and pistol shots behind you is something hard to forget. To see a friend's dead body at your 15's neither.

I undertand you perfectly.
When I see the current general frivolity about the rise of the far right, as if it were something of little importance or consequence, as if they were political parties like any other, it seems to me that we are repeating the dramatic mistakes of the past.
And it's hard to see it and not be able to stop it.
despertaferro  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 27 Jan 2022, 19:11

Your passion for this project becomes more and more understandable as we learn of your own experiences. What a truly fascinating and instructive moment of history you are bringing to life with your astonishing skills. A more comprehensive treatment done in our scale is simply inconceivable.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by santifernandez on 27 Jan 2022, 19:24

Joan, I love your work and your passion for history.
I would like to have your skills to make big scenes with many figures and the discipline that it requires, greetings mate.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by despertaferro on 27 Feb 2022, 19:17

German Condor Legion DCA bases

Hello...
I'm sorry because I had to paint this unit very occasionally and always in a hurry and I think the result is not at the desirable level by the high standards of most posts with which it shares space ...
The same goes for the pictures that I had to take even before the basing stuff was completely dry ...

Regarding the models, two 88's bases are a rather exaggerated representation of this gun that were present in the SCW in a very limited number, only a few batteries. But I couldn't make my mind between the Zvezda and Italeri models, so I chosed both ... :-D

First to Fight, Caesar, Fujimi, Esci, Revell, Zvezda, Italeri, Matchbox, Panzer Garage and Minairons bits are present here...

despertaferro  

Posted by JueHue on 27 Feb 2022, 21:31

A very good 88 build.Which figures did you use for the 2cm flak? I especially like the naked torsos.
Jürgen
JueHue  Germany

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery