Gallery

Puerto Argentino/Stanley white fence wall.

Posted by Carlos on 25 Nov 2021, 21:11

2 April 1982

14 June 1982

some Figures 3 d

Hope you like it.

Carlos

Some more pics here https://unosetentaydosaventuras.blogspo ... fence.html
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Graeme on 26 Nov 2021, 04:01

Before and after, very interesting idea.

And expertly modeled and painted, as usual. :thumbup: Excellent work on the DPM.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Nov 2021, 09:46

Interesting subject matter and well executed.

I was wondering if the marines would still be carrying their rifles if they had surrendered.

Forty years next year, time flies.

Best wishes ,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 26 Nov 2021, 09:57

Great modelling and a very imaginative before-and-after scene. Like Chris, I do wonder whether the Marines would be carrying their rifles having surrendered to the Argentinian Special Forces...I suspect not.

A friend of mine from school-days served with a Royal Engineer unit attached to 3 Para in the Falklands, which made the whole episode a little more 'immediate'; thankfully, he returned home safely (and to a hero's welcome too!!).
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 26 Nov 2021, 10:24

In addition to your modeling skills, I admire your choice of subjects! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Carlos on 26 Nov 2021, 13:06

Thank you very much for your comments colleagues.
About the marines with their weapons after surrendering, that existed and there are many photos, one of them very famous, the manufacturer in 3D figures (which has the most complete line of figures about the Flaklands that I have ever seen), based on a line of figures on that historical photograph.
In the photo you can see an amphibious command of the Argentine Navy (the amphibious commandos as well as the marines of the amphibious operations group only acted in that operation, then they were returned to Argentina and did not fight the war).
Why did the British Marines have their rifles?
Because the group that took the islands had two clear orders 1) There should not have been British deaths. 2) The honor of the British had to be preserved.
This was because a war was not wanted, what was wanted was a negotiation in the UN.
That is why the conquest of the islands was done by so few men, some 30 professional amphibian commandos did all the work, supported from afar (far away) by a company of marines in vehicles.
The Marines were kept away because they were conscripts and they were very aggressive, it was feared that if they went into action they could kill Britons and that was not good for negotiations.
As Galtieri did not want special troops in the Malvinas (in the whole war from Argentina there were only two companies of marines, four paratroopers ina a antiareral canyon and two commando companies who were volunteers, the rest were only common infantry, this brought a lot of debate after the war, in that Argentine era had about 30,000 special troops among paratroopers, marines, mountain troops and others who did not go to the islands, nobody knows why Galtieri let the best in the continent, but it is more reoated to geopilitical tah military strategy) these commandos and marines were immediately returned to Argentina.

Carlos  Argentina

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Nov 2021, 14:42

Fascinating stuff and those pictures are the ‘proof of the pudding’ as they say in Britain.

Well done for the concept and execution of this work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Carlos on 26 Nov 2021, 15:00

Just in case where I get the figures from Bbut maybe this could be of interest for colleagues who want to do things on the faklands and do not get good figures.
I do not know if this goes in this line or in "miniature news", the moderators feel free to delete the message if there is something wrong.
I have no relationship with the seller, it is a manufacturer of 3 D figures from Argentina that covers the entire Falklands line (it has the entire British and Argentine line, including some heavy weapons, the British line includes paratroopers and marines, mgs and is very good, but not perfect, need a good primer for the microscopic lines of the 3d printer).
I have no idea if it sells outside my country but it is possible to ask him.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-877231924-figuras-malvinas-172-impresas-en-3d-_JM#reco_item_pos=2&reco_backend=machinalis-seller-items-pdp&reco_backend_type=low_level&reco_client=vip-seller_items-above&reco_id=563e32f6-eaa0-4a5a-8330-753b56554146
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Carlos on 26 Nov 2021, 15:44

Thanks Chris.
Well, there are many things that are not "normal" in the war in the Falklands. This is why explanations are needed. The Fakland War was a strange war, a war more related to political and geopolitical issues than to "territorial" issues, and this got into the middle of the Cold War (in which both Argentina and Great Britain were allies against the Soviets, supposed that the British had to contain the Soviets in Europe and the Argentines the Soviets and Cubans in Latin America), some people say that it was all a CIA plan that got out of control, it was a war in which even today in day there are many things that are not well known. It is logical that many military actions are not what one would expect to see in a common war.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Nov 2021, 16:59

Nice work. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Three cheers!!!

Within two weeks of the Argentine invasion the British S A S from Hereford :thumbup: were already on the Falkland island gathering intel.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Harry Faversham on 26 Nov 2021, 17:07

Yep, and the Paras were first back into Stanley!

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Nov 2021, 17:19

The Argentines also had this defending the heights overlooking Stanley... not many realise this. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Nov 2021, 17:57

By the time the English flotilla arrived, was it too late to get the elite units to the Malvinas safely?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Nov 2021, 17:59

Beano Boy wrote:Image

The Argentines also had this defending the heights overlooking Stanley... not many realise this. BB

War is always senseless and tragic, but that one maybe even moreso than most. With all due respect to those on this forum who were there, likely not through any choice of their own…

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Nov 2021, 18:04

Also Carlos it is a wonderful job you have done with this duo. The fact that it reflects your personal and national history makes it even cooler. Thanks also for the link to the 3D print figures. I have always wanted some Argentines to square off with my Matchbox “Modern” British Paras…

Posted by Carlos on 26 Nov 2021, 18:35

Well Im not a expert in the Malvinas /Falklands war, in fact I hate that war (have some many friends and
known people who were sent there to want to know a lot about the matter), but that I know is.

Beano Boy, British SAS was no only in the Islands two weeks afther the invation, they were in the continent in Argentina!!!, taking information form the southern airfields in Patagonia. They loose a Helicopter in that operations. In the same way, argentinian submarines follow the british fleet from the time they leave the ascention island (think nobdy spect that old electric submarines could be in a modern war, so there where not so good equipments to detect it) and there where some argentinian commandos hidden in Spain ready to attack Gibraltar for sabotage. Crazy things!.

Harry Feversham. Yes til I know P were the first to enter Stanley, but the Royal Marines did too and in my little vignette I used marines because they were the ones who were expelled first and then they came back, there is a symbolism there.
So there are Royal Marines in both sides of my vignette, "go and back".

Bluefalchion. Abut the Argentinian specail forces, They never wanted to send them, supposedly it was because they were saving them for an eventual attack by Chile from behind, Especially the mountain brigades (probably the best trained and equipped for war in the Falklands, they weere sended to protect the Andes, the mountias froteer with Chile), I heard that in the last few days, there was a plan to send the paratrooper brigades, in airplanes, to jump over the islands, but the idea was discarded. The Argentine navy refused to fight the war from the beginning (it was a problem for Galtieri who belonged to the army), they were not going to lose ships and equipment in a "political" war so they only sent two "symbolic" companies and old ships of the Second World War (the battleship Belgrano, sunk, that year was going to be transformed into a museum and the submarines that they sent were also all old) the other battalions of marines and the fleet, including the aircraft carrier "May 25 did not leave port ". So they weren't going to attempt a mass landing there.
Unfortunately we didn't have Flak 20s, only Oerlikons, and I think they were used against the British infantry in San Carlos, but I'm not sure.
Carlos  Argentina

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Iceman1964 on 26 Nov 2021, 19:25

I like the idea (very original !) and also how you made it, Carlos.
I followed the war day-by-day at the time, at least via newspapers and tv info that were available at that time, nothing compared to present internet sources...
An absurd war (if a war can be logic) with all the heroisms, tragedies and stupidity of a war.
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Nov 2021, 21:07

Elements of G Squadron SAS were in place on the four islands well before March gathering intel and other stuff. Orders were to avoid contact with the enemy which was carried out to the letter.

Although there was contact made with a Falkland island Police Officer who was not giving up to 'Strangers in the Night.' Of course he was mobile on his rough shod motorbike and he knew where British arms and petrol and food supplies were stashed! Strangers in the Night was played by the islands Radio Station on April Fools Day in the early AM of that day in 1982 , because British Intel told them to expect what was coming in from seaward. They were on their own and there was no honour given to any of them.

i was only 33 years old then. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Carlos on 26 Nov 2021, 23:45

Beano Boy. Long ago, I think that in the 90s I read a book about operations of this type in the Falklands, carried out by both sides, I think that the most ambitious operation of the SAS was "Operation Mikado" that was canceled when they lost a helicopter in Chile , but if they had been able to finish the mission they would have destroyed the aerodrome and the superetendart planes that sank the ships. The commandos of both countries carried out similar operations behind the lines. The most "famous" in Argentina I think were the combat group "Guemes" who were not commandos but were only conscripts (two platoons, one from the 25th regiment and the other from the 12th infantry) and were behind the British lines for a long time ( they shot down two helicopters that were tracking them with only light weapons) and managed to return when their radio ran out of battery and they could no longer send more information, these conscripts, from land, reported to the Argentine planes the positions of the English ships in the San Carlos water between the islands, they caused a lot of damage with their information. And another "movie operation" by the 602 (ad oc commandos) that carried out an operation through the British lines in motocross to rescue a group o fellows whose helicopter was shot down.
I think that if it were not such a bitter and sad war this would give many ideas to make dioramas.

Iceman, yes I think it was and absurd war,It was basically a war between allies, just a few months before the war, the British SBS and the Argentine Buzos Tacticos (Tactical Divers) were doing training exercises together. Six years after the war, both countries were again training and doing military exercises together. It is one of the few wars in which, after the battles, the veterans of both sides sought each other and began friendship. Three years ago, veterans from both countries even became actors. They staged a play at a theater in Argentina together.

The phrase of Erich Hartman applies well to the Falklands / Malvinas.

"War is a place where young people who do not know and do not hate each other kill each other, because of the decision of old people who know and hate each other, but do not kill each other." Erich Hartman
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Ian Bruce on 27 Nov 2021, 09:36

I was there, attached to Four-Five Commando, Royal Marines, for the recapture of the islands. I can assure you there were still quite a few members of the Buzo Tactico around when we entered Port Stanley. In addition, all of the RM personnel defending Stanley when the Argentine invasion force landed, were repatriated via Chile and volunteered to a man to return with the task force under the command of Major Mike Norman. They became a sub-unit of Four-Two Commando and were given the honour of lowering the Argentine flag at government house and re-raising the Union flag. I can also assure you that the Argentine special forces who captured Stanley were not trying to avoid British casualties. When we advanced down Moody Brook Valley on the outskirts of the islands' capital, the former RM barracks were riddled with fire. And at government house, the defenders took a lot of incoming rifle and machine-gun fire. As a final observation, the task force was not "English". It was British. I'm a Scot and there were a lot of my countrymen there with both Marines and Paras and a battalion of the Scots Guards, as well as many Welsh soldiers - the Welsh Guards - and Northern Irish members of various units. We are not "English".
Ian Bruce  

Next page

Return to Gallery