Work in Progress

Musketeers WIP

Posted by Peter on 10 Oct 2021, 21:06

And the story goes on! And I like it! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by steve_pickstock on 17 Oct 2021, 14:52

Good afternoon all.

Not a lot of model-making/painting done this week.

I have been preparing to actually play a game using the figures I have been making and a lot of that preparation is learning the rules - the turn sequence and how the mechanisms work and what i need to make a game go smoothly.

Today, however, I did spend some time in the attic and began working out and fabricating bases for the club trees.

I want to make some woodland bases like the bases for the statues I did for Amon Hen, only instead of statues, it will be tree. So I have been using a 3D Pen to make some 'holes' where the bases for the actual trees will sit.

I will put some pictures up on Wednesday.

Apart from that sorry that there is no eye-candy.
Regards and stay safe all.

Pickers.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by sansovino on 17 Oct 2021, 18:21

I have seldom seen so interesting miniatures work only as "wallpaper". They are still more for me, but I accept your view, if it will produce so vivid combinations of scenic elements.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by steve_pickstock on 24 Oct 2021, 17:19

sansovino wrote:I have seldom seen so interesting miniatures work only as "wallpaper". They are still more for me, but I accept your view, if it will produce so vivid combinations of scenic elements.

Thank you, I am happy you enjoy my work, that is what drives me onwards.
And so on with it.

New phrase I learned Moin, moin! - don't know when I will get to use it in a conversation, but hey. I hope you are all well.

So, another busy week, as has been seen from my ME scenery I was working on trees for our club. That is continuing apace.
And on Tuesday we are having our first game with Osprey Publication's "En Garde!" rules. I'm not going overboard on this, I want a very basic set up to start with, while we are learning the game, so probably will not deploy the full set up, and instead just go for 4 or 5 average stat figures on each side, and a little scenery.

Having said that I am still working on civilians.
My urge to paint has been a bit up and down over the last few weeks but I made a start on these:
Looking to get them finished soon. from left to right - labourer, boulangiere, the shopping girl and the preacher. Still much to do shading wise and detailing.
The labourer from the side.
I actually quite like this figure.

The clerk/scribe - this is the guy that is taking all of the time. Today I painted his table up, the box is his clerk's gear - inks, quills, paper and so on - and there is a sword on the table as back-up if his pen doesn't get the job done.
Then I had to re-do the chair as the original one I made went AWOL. I could make this figure work better -re-do the arms and the posture, but at the moment I am calling it ready for paint. I altered the legs at the knees, and cut the figure across the waist to try to get it taller in the chair. I also stretched the rim of the figure's hat with the tip of some pliers to get it floppier, and loose that awful roundness.
I even got most of the chair legs to be the same length! :xd:

I also decided to have a go at the Red Box Milady de Winter figure, just for the fun of it.
She needs her hair doing and some more highlights on her clothes.

It was while I was working on the Milady figure, and thinking about Tuesday's game that I realised that I didn't have a 'Me' figure.
So I did a couple more fighting figures.
Another of the cloaked figures plus one with sword and main gauche (which skill I have never mastered) to represent me on the table.

Okay that's me. Not sure how this next week will go, having various booster shots this week, I will see how I feel on Wednesday, and take some pictures on Tuesday night.

Stay safe all,
regards Pickers.
(81361)
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 25 Oct 2021, 09:04

Curiously, my facebook news feed has just reminded me that it is just one year since the Musketeers sets were announced.

I cannot recall a set or series of figures that has ever given me as much pleasure (or involved me as much) as these figures.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Santi Pérez on 26 Oct 2021, 19:25

steve_pickstock wrote:Image

Okay that's me. Not sure how this next week will go, having various booster shots this week, I will see how I feel on Wednesday, and take some pictures on Tuesday night...

This is a very good "you", Steve. A very heroic pose, good choice. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Fire at Will on 26 Oct 2021, 20:07

How many packs did you buy Steve? Seems to be more than one of each?
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 26 Oct 2021, 21:25

Fire at Will wrote:How many packs did you buy Steve? Seems to be more than one of each?

Would you believe it was only one of each?
I was given a second box of RB72145 Musketeers of the King of France for Christmas by my nephew, but that's all.

I am thinking about buying a second box RB72147 Guards of Cardinal Richelieu because of the possibilities of the non-tabarded figures AND I am looking at the mounted figures and wondering about having a go at some of them.

Some of these mounted figures have gone into a French 30YW army, but that is well down the road of projects.

Tonight I sat down to play a trial game of the Osprey En Garde! rules.

A really basic set-up
Four on my side l to r: Stevie leP, Alatriste, Philippe, and l'Homme en Noir
and four on Dave's side. I don't know what they were called, only that they were all named for characters from Carry On Don't Lose Your Head, because that's Dave.

There was nothing subtle about this, get in and get engaged corps a corps so that we could understand the rules.
Despite having the initiative Philippe was quickly - almost immediately, double-teamed and flattened. Stevie leP ran across the board and engaged the man opposite him and Alatriste and L'Homme en Noir teamed up in the centre.

The fight at the back was a stand off, l'Homme and Alatriste doing for the guy in the middle allowed them to jump on the back of the two chaps who had floored Philippe. Which was pretty much how the game ended due to time constraints and the fact that we went through the game slowly.

We did not use all of the rules, only really feeling them out, but what we did was fun and fairly easy to get a hold of.
The idea is to build up our understanding and bring more and more elements in as we do.

Thanks for looking in.
Stay safe, Pickers.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 31 Oct 2021, 14:29

No update today because of the ones during the week. I spent a couple of hours filling, plastering and painting tree bases. Pictures during the week.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 02 Nov 2021, 21:44

steve_pickstock wrote:No update today because of the ones during the week. I spent a couple of hours filling, plastering and painting tree bases. Pictures during the week.

We can wait! :coffee:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 13 Nov 2021, 10:15

I had not the time to follow the progress here in the last weeks. So there is a lot to see an read for me. Very cool conversions.

I understand what you mean with wallpaper, but decoration makes a gaming table another world I think.

Keep on working. And since I have painted Musketeers for the duel against Mr.X., I like them even more.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 14 Nov 2021, 16:33

My apologies, getting to the run in for the Festive Frenzy and jobs that need doing mean little done on the Musketeers this week , but having seen the Siege Engineers thread, I did have an idea for something (watch this space).

Hand made, bespoke wooden name tags for Christmas presents, Amazon archers and Minotaur thugs on the bench at the moment. No pictures - yet! - sorry.

If the British tabloids are to be believed - I will leave that up to you - life threatening blizzards, civilization ending snow and generally a damned good reason not to leave the house are due in the next week or so.
So stay safe and stay warm all.

Regards Pickers

(86093)
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 14 Nov 2021, 22:10

Keep safe Steve, and just keep on painting, etc.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 09 Dec 2021, 19:37

I hope everyone is well and has survived the recent named storms in good order.

The next attempt at a game using the musketeers figures and the Osprey Games En Garde rules the other night. It was a little intense at times which is why there was only one picture (I was refereeing).

This set-up shows exactly how I wanted to use the scenery flats - as a back drop to the game.
The game play itself is fairly fast and furious - brutal is a good word. We are finding that combats end up as one pass, and usually end with a figure hors de combat quickly. I'm not sure if we're doing it right, and I need to check how we are playing the rules before we try it again.
The tokens on the left of the picture are 3D printed and represent wound markers, attack and defence tokens and Ploys that a player can use,

Thanks for looking in, stay safe all
Pickers
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Minuteman on 09 Dec 2021, 19:58

The scenery/backdrop to this fast-and furious sword fighting looks fine, and there is a good expanse of 'battleground'.

I am not familiar with the 'En Garde' rules, but I'd presume that if these are intended for skirmishing wargames, then some way of moderating the 'one hit and you're done' result might be in order. "'Tis only a flesh wound" ought surely to be a cry to be heard echoing around this wide plaza??

It also looks as if players (human) and umpire need to keep their fingers away from those sharp 1/72 flashing blades....
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 09 Dec 2021, 22:29

Minuteman wrote:I am not familiar with the 'En Garde' rules, but I'd presume that if these are intended for skirmishing wargames, then some way of moderating the 'one hit and you're done' result might be in order. "'Tis only a flesh wound" ought surely to be a cry to be heard echoing around this wide plaza??

The issue is complex - first I have seen simpler rule sets and it is taking me some time to get familiar with them - I just need to st down and really study them, which I am not getting time for at the moment (especially as the Maison Pickstock is currently being made ready for a visit from the Baby Jesus and hopefully also my brother - the first time we have seen him in two years).
Ploys - tricks and attacks - make attacks so much stronger than the anything the defender can do. So it could be that we're playing those wrong.
It could even be just that on Tuesday the players were getting very good dice rolls (don't know how, it was a set of my dice and they never roll those sorts of numbers for me :eh: ),
We'll sort it out, I will turn to the Facebook group if needs be.

Minuteman wrote:It also looks as if players (human) and umpire need to keep their fingers away from those sharp 1/72 flashing blades....

I may have to make some 'splat!' markers, where casualties have been felled. Good suggestion, well done that man!

This is a link to the rules.
https://ospreypublishing.com/en-garde
We WILL understand them better, after all it's just a set of rules, right?
steve_pickstock  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 22 Dec 2021, 19:13

I just wanted to wish everybody who has looked in on, and everyone who has commented on this and the Middle Earth thread.

Thank you. All of you.

This has kept me going this year. The drive to finish content to post during the week and the reception of that work has been a major positive in a year which has had its up and downs.

Hopefully I can carry on this kind of delivery with other projects next year. While I have been sorting stuff out I have found part-finished jobs and some of them will be "interesting".

I hope you have a safe and healthy Christmas, with your families where you can, and that the New Year brings you everything you want and nothing you don't need.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Flambeau on 22 Dec 2021, 21:57

Steve, I suppose we have to thank you for sharing with us your superb work and world building "en miniature". It's always a great joy to watch the progress of your work and see the fantastic results (The same is of course true with regard to all other fellow artists who rarely fail to amaze with their dedication to the hobby and their craftsmanship). Stay safe and healthy and enjoy a happy and relaxed Christmas and New Year.
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by MABO on 23 Dec 2021, 10:14

Flambeau wrote:Steve, I suppose we have to thank you for sharing with us your superb work and world building "en miniature". It's always a great joy to watch the progress of your work and see the fantastic results (The same is of course true with regard to all other fellow artists who rarely fail to amaze with their dedication to the hobby and their craftsmanship). Stay safe and healthy and enjoy a happy and relaxed Christmas and New Year.

Perfectly said! I would like to second that!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Flambeau on 11 Mar 2022, 11:03

Steve,

any updates on your fine musketeers project? It actually inspired me to buy the sets 8) and now I'm contemplating to buy the Ultima Ratio Guards of Richelieu too, though they have become VERY expensive ... It's hard to resist buying something when you have such inspired artists here who put their figures in the midst of wonderfull dioramas, so if you have any new pictures, please share them with us!
Flambeau  Germany

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress