Miniatures Talk

Figures sizes.

Posted by Peter on 29 Aug 2021, 16:32

Who has a problem with the difference in size of our beloved 1/72 scale figures?

:mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by santifernandez on 29 Aug 2021, 17:36

Caesar and big italeri.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Howlin on 30 Aug 2021, 08:04

Oh I love these... pictures of 8-9ft giants are not that rare at all from 100 plus years ago.

Who likes elephants?
I had made these a pics comparing the various scales in 1/72 and I think they all look really good together ( Ok the hat ones are small even for African Forest ones but still ok for that)

And well it seems very useful for this thread.

The only 1/72 scale plastic elephant missing is the LW elephant and the Macedonian version of the HAT brand which is just a different head than the Indian one. also note the character with the parasol on the Indian one is a bonus fig from the chariot HAT set.

one of the biggest nearest the smallest.
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Xantippos on 05 Sep 2021, 14:07

Cool! I love these kind of pics, that justify some of my strange battles and usage of giant figures :) . Can somebody recognize who are they? Hindu troops under the british empire?

I have another one for you;

Better, as they are of the same army in the same uniform :) .

Very nice comparison of elephants. Is the metal ball attached to the trunk historical? so cool!

I collect many similar sized elephants, that came with random toys or as sets of animals, which most of them work very nicely :) .
Xantippos  

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 20 Sep 2021, 19:15

Xantippos wrote:
Better, as they are of the same army in the same uniform :) .

The guy to the right must have the armys only sample in that size. :-)
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by zirrian on 20 Sep 2021, 20:39

A shame they don't make muskets and Kar98s in different sizes...
zirrian  Hungary

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Sep 2021, 10:47

Well i certainly have had problems with the sizes of figures. Who have not? From the petit figures to all those that are very large, but i guess the hobby of collecting them including hopefully their emotive box art,will soldier on and on? BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Howlin on 21 Sep 2021, 16:09

Very nice comparison of elephants. Is the metal ball attached to the trunk historical? so cool!

I am not entirely certain, it likely was not common if at all. My inspiration is actually from a game "Age of Empires 3" that has a unit like this. I did find this one artist rendering of a flail elephant with a quick search, slightly different design. I think the problem would be training an elephant to use one, they were already pretty dangerous just with a trunk being able to grab spears and people, and some tusk spikes, and maybe some chains on legs or tusks as well.
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Xantippos on 08 Oct 2021, 14:53

I played the game, but didn't remember the flailed elephant! I need to make my own, too cool to not have one!

I would say, that in all probability, something similar was tried in India. After all, they had about 3000 years of uninterrumped warfare with elephants, so at some point or other, succesful or not, I bet it was tried...
Xantippos  

Return to Miniatures Talk