General

Overlord Museum - Coleville-sur-Mer, Normandie

Posted by Koppi on 06 Jun 2021, 09:23

6th June. As always a good date to write something about Operation Overlord. Today pictures from Overlord Museum in Colleville-sur-Mer.
English version at the end of the article.

https://thrifles.blogspot.com/2021/06/o ... r-mer.html

Koppi  

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Jun 2021, 11:08

Hi Koppi.

What a super report on this museum.

It is so refreshing to see the German hardware in what used to be a carnival of Sherman’s and Churchill’s .

I visited a splendid if not somewhat ramshackle museum near Falise many years ago.

The owners grandfather had rounded up everything in sight and dragged it to his collection.

It was chaotic but wonderful.

Keep up the good work.

Happy anniversary to the brave men of all sides who fought, often with no choice due to their parents country of residence when they were born.

Best wishes,
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Jun 2021, 14:23

I always make a note of 6th June, and commemorate it in my own way every year - simply spending a few quiet minutes saying a silent prayer and thinking of those individuals who took part in this massive military event, on both sides, as well as the many French civilians who also suffered.

A late uncle was part of the second wave that went in on Gold Beach on that day in 1944, and the memorial that has been officially opened today is a good and all-too-late monument to the events in that part of the Normandy coast. An event that changed and made history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57373932

My uncle was wounded within 24 hours of landing in Normandy and was on a hospital ship back to England soon after. He survived the war and lived a good life for decades afterwards. Many of his comrades were not so lucky.

We will remember them.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Jun 2021, 16:34

Thanks for posting, koppi. Now I really want to go there. Perhaps I will stop in on my way to FIGZ 2022...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Return to General