Miniatures News

Linear-A news & releases 2020 - 2024

Posted by Cryns on 11 Mar 2021, 10:47

Lots of wonderful new ancient figurines! My compliments for your productionwork, Linear-A.
And thanks for posting, Erich von Manstein
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Howlin on 14 Mar 2021, 09:24

Linear A has become my new favorite maker (from Zvezda)

some of these new sets, particularly the Minoans I have been very excited for. I really have too many minis already but will be making room.

I am glad they add some civilian poses with each and would like to see more like that.
That set inspired this phonetician ship, since I do not have the parts to make a good Minoan one, Im just pretending they pirated, or traded for it. but I may find a way if a phonetician set is ever made.

still a work in progress...

Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 19 Mar 2021, 13:40

018 - Roman Legion Set 2 Varian Disaster I A.D.
Another 2 poses for this upcoming set. :thumbup:

Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Rich W on 20 Mar 2021, 16:20

The Roman set 2 has some really dynamic poses which are excellent to depict the struggles of the disastrous finale to the campaign. Not much use for the war gamer, but excellent for dioramas.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 30 Mar 2021, 20:34

The next two Linear-A sets are apparently ready for an imminent release. :thumbup:

018 - Roman Legion Varian Disaster Set 2 Battle of Teutoburg Forest 9 AD
025 - Hannibal crosses the Alps Set 5 Celtic Salassi / Taurini tribe vs. Carthaginians

Posted by Howlin on 31 Mar 2021, 02:06

I felt like I was tricked for a minute when it said it was 12 poses. but I did the math now.
Howlin  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 01 Apr 2021, 19:58

A few more figures for an exceptional set were revealed today.
037 - Neanderthal vs. Denisovan vs. Homo sapiens Set 1

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 05 Apr 2021, 00:42

Further poses for:
033 - Hellenistic Diadochi/Epigonoi - Seleucid Infantry Phalanx Set 1 Battle of Raphia 217 BC

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 05 Apr 2021, 05:54

Oh here we go! It seems to me that the Seleucid pikemen are ever so slightly more richly adorned with the boots and the plumes and cloaks than the Epirote sarissa-men. Small points of differentiation are nice.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Peter on 06 Apr 2021, 17:08

I have just seen the price for this set:

7,5 euro for 4 figures and one horse? Are they nuts? :shock:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Apr 2021, 17:36

Well, I want Linear A to make a nice profit so they will keep making new sets...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 06 Apr 2021, 17:36

on linear-A website is 4.99 Euro, yes, well, you still have to add shipping costs
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Apr 2021, 17:43

Oh, shipping? Just keep adding more sets until your order is big enough to qualify for free shipping. Problem solved!

Posted by sansovino on 06 Apr 2021, 18:12

Dear Peter, I share your reaction. Also 5 Euros are too expensive for these Mini-sets. And I don´t want that these prices become normality. 2 sprues each with 4 figures are my maximum price-limit for plastic figures which aren´t different in quality to the regular sets.
I pay only for extraordinary miniatures more like these of Valdemar, Fredericus Rex, Nikolai, Germania or Kamar, which are pewter or resin figures with an extraordinary sculpting quality.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Peter on 07 Apr 2021, 12:17

Mr. Andrea wrote:on linear-A website is 4.99 Euro, yes, well, you still have to add shipping costs

I found that price of 7,5 euro on a webshop. So they will take a very big profit on each box in comparison with the linear-A price! And shipping yes, most of the time more as what the box costs. :(
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Zed1 on 07 Apr 2021, 12:53

sansovino wrote:Dear Peter, I share your reaction. Also 5 Euros are too expensive for these Mini-sets. And I don´t want that these prices become normality. 2 sprues each with 4 figures are my maximum price-limit for plastic figures which aren´t different in quality to the regular sets.
I pay only for extraordinary miniatures more like these of Valdemar, Fredericus Rex, Nikolai, Germania or Kamar, which are pewter or resin figures with an extraordinary sculpting quality.

Well - me too. I'm a bit puzzled about that sort of micro-sets in general. What is the benefit in selling four minis as a set? Do they come in a box? Isn't the box in comparizon more expensive then its' content? When I saw the prototype pictures, I thought that these could become interesting sets but honestly - who needs one (!!!!) cheering highlander? For what?

I thought that Zvezdas approach of selling six plastic figures for five bucks was already an annoying attempt of profit maximization, but this blows the bottom out of the box. Sorry, but I won't buy that, it's way too expensive for what you get. A whole box of napoleonic infantry from Strelets - 40 to 50 figures - is sold for 9 Euro. That's 20 cent per figure in a 45 figure box. What justifies to sell the same quality item for a price more then 5.5 times higher? :eh:
Zed1  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Chariobaude on 07 Apr 2021, 14:43

I hope I don't get the ire of forum members, but I have to admit that I have a slightly different opinion. Is the price of this box expensive? Certainly yes, no doubt.
But isn't that the price of novelty? I find that we are terribly short of new sets and new timeframes covered. And while waiting for the 3D printing revolution which is long overdue (but which will happen !!), the producers who release new, well-made and original products, will have my support.
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Bluefalchion on 07 Apr 2021, 15:36

Chariobaude wrote:I hope I don't get the ire of forum members, but I have to admit that I have a slightly different opinion. Is the price of this box expensive? Certainly yes, no doubt.
But isn't that the price of novelty? I find that we are terribly short of new sets and new timeframes covered. And while waiting for the 3D printing revolution which is long overdue (but which will happen !!), the producers who release new, well-made and original products, will have my support.

These small boxes are more expensive if you analyze them by price-per-figure. But does it make any sense to do so? Consider 10 identical standing and firing poses or one downed horse, writhing on the ground in its death throes.

The cost to create the 10 standing firing guys is identical, maybe less in the design, if a bit more plastic is used. But the company needs to make a little bit of profit on each sale. Cost for packaging, shipping, marketing, all identical.

No one is going to use these small boxes to build an army. They are unique and interesting figures that will most likely go into a diorama. And maybe they won't sell for that reason, or that they are not quite up there with resin for quality, or for whatever reason. But I am glad Linear-A are making them, because they are interesting. And I want them to sell because I want to see what else they come up with.

Posted by MABO on 07 Apr 2021, 17:53

Yes, I have them as well, because those sets are special figures and topics. And last but not least I see them as a collectors item.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 07 Apr 2021, 18:56

Also, the little tableaus created here would be just perfect for a duel. But perhaps we should not challenge those who have balked at the price. Those valued and respected forum members are 100% entitled to their opinion as to the relative merit of these small sets.

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News