Work in Progress

1/ 87 aka H0 Wild West Frontier Town

Posted by Challenger77 on 10 May 2017, 12:05

Hello Fellows,

after the 1529 project ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18727 ) was finished and the 4 Star Wars Slave 1 Ships are ready for our GoMo 2017 Exhibition , i started a long planned Project. I call it for yet now " Wild west frontier town". After a try with the Plastickits from kibri i found resin and Lasercut kits of superb Quality and so took the sinister its course...... ;-) Figures will be Blu Moon 15mm Castings in pewter. They are in Reality 18-19 mm "high" and fits perfect also some preiser Figures.

First i build the 2 Resinkits from Mainstreet heritage, slightly altered. Floor made from extra heavy Cardboard. kits have really fine Details , some will show up only after good painting .

" Moffats Bookstore " straight from the box, outside Stairs to be added for the second floor. Roofs are also resin. But first i i need some details for inside the BNuilding, will light all bnuildings too.

"Metropolitan Billard " slightly altered, will have a outside Stairs too.

Paint will follow, but this Diorama is a long term project. Next will be a tryout with a cheap lasercut building to learn how to paint or better stain the Wood .
Thanks for looking :-D
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Cryns on 10 May 2017, 12:19

Dear Challenger77,

What a surprise to see you back in this forum :-D
I remember your big scale Western diorama from years ago with interior views in houses and through glass windows.
These new houses in a smaller scale look great already and promise some exiting new compositions made by you when finished.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Challenger77 on 10 May 2017, 12:31

Next Step was , as i write before , a tryout on a cheap ki. For this Reason i used Campbells" Bunkhouses A+B".First i add Nailholes with a Needle and a rivet tool from RB. On some Planks i try to show a bit damage and cut out panels. I read on a Blog from an Arts Proffesor about Oilpencils, so i give them a try. That works perfect. See this Link how it works https://davidneat.wordpress.com/tag/app ... h-to-wood/

Thats the Result, sorry for the poor Quality, cellphonepics............

Then i go a Step further ant try the India Ink/ Alkohol washing to made old , silvering Wood. Thats the American Model Builders "CompanyHouse"

with the added Nailholes, Damage and diveded Planks, no coloring yet

After the Pencils and the india Ink wash

The Rooftrim , Doors and Windows are of a lasercutmat and painted the same Way as the Walls, fix it with matte Varnish

Roof is selfstick material, toned down with Oilcolor. The completed building, only the Chimney and Doorknobs will be added

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 10 May 2017, 13:07

As this Tryouts looks good for me, i go a step further and start the Banta kit "Clarkes Outpost".
this is a bit complicated than the kits before. First you have to build up the Innerwalls from thin hard Wood. Then you glue the scribed outerwalls to them. The false front must be build up out of single, lasercut Planks....

That is how the Kit comes

i use 5 minute White glue, fast drying and the Wood cannot really bend. And you can correct the Parts.
Build up the Rear Section

Then i cut out the Planks for the False front and the Sidewalk . I want bthe typical Barnred paint, this was made in with oil and irooxide back in this timeperiod. to simulate this i use old Oilcolor wich i use nearly dry. From redbrown to red, after 1 or 2 Days to set i scratch and rub it a bit, think ist not so bad.

Windows and Door on the Front where painted White , also the Rooftrim, tha you must cut from the supplied Lumber.

I added a Porch from scrap Wood and the supplied Sign, the Roof is pasted with abrasive Paper to simulate Tarpaper.

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 10 May 2017, 13:10

Hello Mr. Cryns,
well iam not rellay away from here, but i have so many interests, Star Wars Slave 1 build 4times for the Exhibition, 1/18 car for a friend, planning a big Battlestar Galactica Hangardio with a Friend, some other Scifi Things.......
Thanksfor your Welcome !
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Susofrick on 11 May 2017, 12:53

Big scale western diorama??? Years ago??? Don't remember at all, but is very interested! A link to it somewhere? This looks very interesting! Grew up on Wild West comics (and a lot of other comics).
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Challenger77 on 11 May 2017, 14:01

Hello Susofrick,
here you go
http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/3-f ... ndrea.html
i tried to make it more realistic than all the comics and Movies, TV series.......
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Susofrick on 12 May 2017, 08:16

This looks great! And big! And having read a lot about it it looks very realistic too! Huge congratulations for that one and now I'm looking eagerly forward to your new one!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Challenger77 on 15 May 2017, 18:00

Here is the next one. Bantaki "Roubies Corner Saloon"
First as Pic how this kits come. Lasercut Inner and Outerwalls, Doors and windows with Sills,etc.

First i build the inner Walls, the Skeleton of the house. Then i glue the Stained Outerwalls, see the posts before how i do this, on it. I dont paint this house, only the Rooftrim and front cornerposts, because in this Timeperiod most of the Houses get only the false front painted, often only a wash with thin white color. And as i write before i don't want to go Hollywood or Cinecittalike with this Dio ;-)

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 15 May 2017, 18:30

Next Step was adding the stained or painted Cornerposts, Front Wallsiding and the Porch

This is a bit delicate, you glue 0.3 x1.5x10 mm Lasercut parts beneath the Porchand then lined up the 2 Halfs on the Walls. But you must be very areful that the post pass through the precut holes in the porch and the sidewalk.,. After this i glue all the Sills, in the matching Openings. To add a bit Color i paint the Frontside Windowsand the Maindoors white, as this was a common Practice by the Pioneers. Also the Rooftrim with the verysmall corniches.

The next Steps are gluing in all the "Glass" on the selfstick Window/Doorframes and glue them in the Sills.
Then Gluing 1x1 mm Woodbeams on the Lasercut Railingparts and on top of these a strip 0.3 x 1.5 mm Stripwood. This where glued between the posts on the porch, but be careful, there are 3 Lengths.

The Opening in the rear Wall should be closed with Planks, but i think i add a small Leanto.
The Roof is not finished yet, because i want some Interiordetails.
Thanks for looking ;-)
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 20 Jun 2017, 07:42

The next one is the Banta Kit "Silver Bull Saloon", the above Houses are not really finished because i want them lighted and with some interior details. its a very slow wip, no timeline there.
The construction is the same as the 2 Kits before, just a"bit" more cutting and fitting.......and i altered it from the desired L-shape to a more common Style.
red and blue paint is again nearly dry Oilcolor and the bare Wood is the same technic as before with oilbased pencils and woodstains.
So here are the pics

The Parts

the inner Walls with added selfmade Wallpapers.

The painted frontwalls,

the innerside Topwall, stained

First Floor , its a slowprogress with all that cutting and fitting of the small woodstrips

And here it is so far

The next step is to fit the Backwalls and the Balcony.
thanks for looking :-D
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by sberry on 20 Jun 2017, 08:42

This is awesome, can't wait to see the final result with all these houses arranged together! I suppose it will be as impressive as your Vienna diorama when everything is finished.
By the way, I would also like to see your SciFi work, have you presented it here on Benno's Forum?
sberry  Germany

Posted by Challenger77 on 20 Jun 2017, 11:13

Hi @sberry
Thank you !
Not yet, still not finnished. Will try the next Days to show what i get ready so far ;-)
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Peter on 05 Jul 2017, 21:07

Wonderfull work and very inspirational! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 06 Jul 2017, 07:34

Love this!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by panzerman825 on 07 Jul 2017, 05:44

Pretty cool structures. They certainly look the part of Old Western town buildings. Nice build and painting.
Keep having fun.
Bill
panzerman825  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Challenger77 on 24 Jul 2017, 08:39

Hello Guys,
first thank you all !
Second i repost some Pics of the Silverbullsaloon, imagebanana has changed Owner and so the Pic links dont work anymore........... :mad:

the Kit as it come

As describe before nearly dry Oilpaints and oilbased Pencils, Alkohol/Ink ans some Woodstains used for Coloring

and while Glue and paint dry i start my 1/32 (1/35) Mille Miglia 1931 project.....

Build Up of the inner Structure with self printed Wallpapers

outer walls for the First Floor attached

and second Floor with all the small Woodbeams, cutting and fitting never ends ;-)

After this was done the First Windows where made. This are made of 5 parts each, painted with rhe Oilpencils

the small lasercutted Planks for the Boardwalk , the next cut and fit session on the way.......

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 02 Feb 2023, 12:11

After a very long Time i make some Progress and new Houses. I build them always on different Exhibitions as a Counterpart to all the Messaschnitzls and Tigas and so on ;-) So most of them are not really finished. the Plan is to light 'em all up with LED,

First a few pics of the Silver Bull Saloon,

Added some selfprinted Wallpapers and a Floor

I dont like the somewhat massive handrails on the Balcony, so i rebuild it with some lasercut Add ons

now with mini Me :xd: :xd: :xd:

3D Print after my Photo by schrumpfmich.de

Yeeehhaaa.... :P
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 02 Feb 2023, 12:37

I repost some of the broken Pcturelinks from above, first is Banta Kits "Roubies corner Saloon"

Next was also a Banta Kit "Clarkes Outpost", here i added a Porch with Scrapwood

And here the 2 together

Regards
Harry
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 02 Feb 2023, 13:02

Next is Bar Mills "Papa Lous Cigar Store" a very small House, added only a more 19th century Style Adverisment and some Posters from the Time.

Also a very easy kit is Blair lines " Blairstown General Store" , build this straight OOB with a Decal from Microscale. Roof tarpaper is selfadheshive from the Kit, need some Glue, Posters and , like all here, weathering.

Challenger77  Austria

Next page

Return to Work in Progress