Officers Mess

BBC scam

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jul 2020, 22:02

OK,
Having been forewarned about this Scam recently on BBC TV ,i decided to add info of it here on this Forum even though it only effects BBC Licence Fee holders who pay via their Monthly Direct Debit Banking Arrangement.

World Wide,
Spam Bots gather information on line via You Tube, Face Book, Blogs, and Elsewhere like Online shopping. Personal Details,are passed along to Scammers who send out phoney e-mails pretending to be from the BBC Licence Records Office.

OK, i think you now understand how it works,but i'll add a little more.

Having obtained Mrs B's E - Mail Address their plan of rip-off went into action.

Mrs B, had an, e-mail today from the BBC's Licence Records Office.
Stating that they had not received our monthly licence fee by direct debit from the Bank.
And kindly asked her to reply to this by clicking on their e-mail.
No mention of our Bank was included in the e-mail.
Alarm Bells Rang Out!

Knowing full well the BBC does not send such e-mailing out to the general public in this way,
She, being bright as a new button, knew it to be a Scam!

Warning!
Never click on this type of e-mail.
They are thieves fishing for your Bank Details.
To steal your Cash and Empty your Bank Account!

If you are living in the United Kingdom this could effect you.
Perhaps you don't have a TV Licence?

Do not reply to the e-mail.

If you did they would therefore be very interested in obtaining that juicy piece of information.
Putting extra pressure on you to obtain your bank details, or take out legal action against you.
It is all phony! And they are stealing Millions.

Bank Robbers of old had to hold up a Bank,then run for it.
These Scammers simple press buttons on a keyboard to haul in the Cash!

Checking out our own Bank Account dealing in Direct Debit Payments,
our BBC Licence Payment had been sent as usual on the 1st of the month.

I think this to be the 4th scam warning i've placed here,
and i do so because i care.
Well that's it for now. :coffee: Stay safe. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bessiere on 30 Jul 2020, 22:17

If anything makes me lose faith in humanity this is it. Those who would steal from anyone in this manner are among the scummiest creatures on the planet. To me this is rape and should be treated very harshly.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 May 2021, 17:52

Fraud Alert is a Scam.

Mrs B,has had about six differing ones over the past few weeks on her mobile. Although i copied them all i decided not to post them, but this one i did.

The give away is this is not our Banking System, but plainly for some it might be. So here is our proof, and please do not respond to any of them. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by CraigD6 on 05 May 2021, 08:02

I had the same scam message. It was from a different phone number to that shown above, but otherwise exactly the same message about a payment to Mr C Jones, and I don't have any dealings with HSBC either. I also had another text the same morning from the self same number advising me that Hermes had tried to 'deliver my package today' and with a link to a website. Hermes must work all hours or their messages are much delayed as this message hit my phone around 02:30.
CraigD6  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 May 2021, 20:36

Yes you are right Craig, we have had the fake Hermes packages too, and also another Mr C Jones via mobile.
Russian skullduggery! Thanks for getting in touch. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 May 2021, 14:33

I just caught up with this type of scam on the mid afternoon news, and Bank and Police reports so far amount to 1.7 Million Ponds Stirling has been stolen in the United Kingdom this year. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 May 2021, 02:59

Sorrry i got it wrong,it is in fact 1.7 Billion Pounds Stirling. Most people caught wide open to the scams are young and in their twenty's. i guess the older ones have already been robbed! As for us we like to put the warning out,because we care. Stay safe BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by mickey mouse on 26 Jun 2021, 14:05

I too had once received an sms of the so called "Tax authorities", which stated that i earned a refund of around €700,- . Now, i knew it was a scam, because:

1) Dutch government authorities will never let such things know by sms only.
2) They also never includes any kind of links, but they always refers you to my government.
3) I didn't filled in my taxes yet.
4) I never ever get back that much of an amount of money.

Now, as i do have a mate that is very handy with computers, i gave him the phonenumber to him so he could find out where it came from. Seems like it came from Amsterdam, of an organised crime. As he didn't liked what they tried to do with me, he cunningly send them a link that he can see what they do, and also what he did, was that all what they do, will be send to the Dutch police automatically. It seems like that it works, as i have no longer those phony messages anymore.
mickey mouse  Netherlands

Return to Officers Mess