Work in Progress

Grenadier Guard cartoon figure

Posted by Santi Pérez on 23 Jul 2022, 18:36

From my recent visit to London I have brought back very good memories of my daughter's graduation ceremony, quite a few photos of the places visited and a lot of pins for my growing collection.

But apart from all of the above, I also bought a figure from the ones that are sold in the countless tourist souvenir shops.

You may remember a previous post about the improving of another souvenir figure. In that case it was from a Swiss Vatican Guard I got in Rome a few years ago (the image I'm using as my avatar here in the forum).

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=23441&p=256842&hilit=Swiss+Guard+cartoon+figure#p256842

In London I had several typical figures to choose from, mainly Beefeater Yeoman of the Guard, Metropolitan Policeman or Royal Guardsman. Since I was looking for a cartoonish looking figure, I chose the latter.

This is the figure, roughly 1:32 - 54mm scale, as you can see in the first picture:

It's not too badly painted, but I hope to improve it somewhat. ;-)

One more project to add to the several that I have already started. That's why it takes me so long to finish each one, hahaha.

I will post the progress of the work. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Kekso on 23 Jul 2022, 20:04

Can't wait to see the result of your work.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Fire at Will on 23 Jul 2022, 20:08

Good luck
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 24 Jul 2022, 18:17

I'm sure you will make this figure look like a fine gentleman! Looking forward to the progress! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sberry on 27 Jul 2022, 07:38

This is exactly the type of figure that cries out for a complete rework in Santi style! Like the other gentlemen, I am already curious to see the result!
sberry  Germany

Posted by Santi Pérez on 30 Jul 2022, 18:50

Thanks for your encouragement, friends. I will try to do my best, as always. ;-)

The first thing is to decide which of the five Guard infantry regiments this figure will represent.

The model has its plume in the left side of the fur cap. This is typical of both the Grenadier Guards and the Irish Guards. I think the Grenadier Guards is a better choice, having in mind that it's one of the most senior infantry regiments in the British Army.

The second step is finding out as much information as possible about the uniform of the Grenadier Guards.

I could have looked it up on the internet, but I've preferred to consult my own photographic archives. There I have found these pictures that I took on a previous visit to London in 2018, in which the Grenadier Guards are precisely portrayed.

My figure only needed one addition, the bayonet scabbard, difficult to paint if absent. The rest of the details can be added in the painting job. The scabbard is a single piece of card cut in the correct shape and glued in place.

This is the result once the figure has been primed:

I usually prime my models with white paint and brush. But this time, due to the size of the figure, I have tried with spray. I asked in the model shop for their advice and they recommended Citadel Colour Corax White, which actually turned out to be more grey than white. :shock:

Also, once the paint is applied, the surface of the figure is covered with small dots that I don't like too much. :(

Next time I'll think about whether to use this spray again on a large model or continue to prime it with a brush.

Now I can start painting the figure. I hope the next post will be in the Gallery section. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 30 Jul 2022, 22:10

Santi Pérez wrote:...This is typical of both the Grenadier Guards and the Irish Guards...

Sorry, not Irish Guards but Welsh Guards. :eh:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 30 Jul 2022, 23:02

Good start Santi! :thumbup:

Don't forget to post more pictures of the progress. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Michael Robert on 31 Jul 2022, 20:18

Hello Santi,
I like your project and I like the pictures. Especially the first picture of the guardsmen where I ask myself how these guys can walk straight; they see nothing with the bearskin caps covering their eyes :eh: :eh:
Waiting for more report and pictures
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MABO on 02 Aug 2022, 10:34

And the real ones on the fotos missed to wear the white plume, aren't they? Looks like a really cool project. But do not forget about the clerics! :-D
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 06 Aug 2022, 13:49

Michael Robert wrote:...I ask myself how these guys can walk straight; they see nothing with the bearskin caps covering their eyes...

I think the same, Michael. Perhaps the secret is that only the guards in the front row need to see the path they are following, those behind only have to see the legs of those in front to know which way to go. :mrgreen:

MABO wrote:And the real ones on the fotos missed to wear the white plume, aren't they?...

The truth is that it's difficult to see them, but the white plumes are there, covered in most cases by the black fur of the caps. I repost the original pictures marking in yellow some plumes that can be appreciated (with a little effort, of course). :winky:

MABO wrote:...But do not forget about the clerics! :-D

Don't worry, Jan. Even if I do several at once, I never forget my main project. By the way, I've almost finished another of their Swiss Guard figures. I will post pictures of it as soon as it's finished and photographed. ;-)

Peter wrote:...Don't forget to post more pictures of the progress. ;-)

Michael Robert wrote:...Waiting for more report and pictures...

In response to your requests, I post some pictures of the half-painted figure. Several parts are still missing (flesh on the face and hands, rifle, fur cap, buttons and other metallic details, base, etc.). Once everything is finished, the next pictures will already appear in the Gallery section. :lol:

I hope you enjoy them and thanks for watching. My best regards. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 06 Aug 2022, 15:21

Great work so far Santi! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Work in Progress