Work in Progress

Attack on LHS Farm at Waterloo

Posted by Susofrick on 19 May 2022, 09:20

I definitely feel like a sneaky teaser so I want to see more!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Waterlooman on 19 May 2022, 22:49

So after showing my little teaser - here is the start of the farm buildings - its the Sarrisa MDF flat pack that is laser cut and you just join to gether with PVA glue, I went a bit further and added a kitchen tiled floor living room deck boards - a stair case and an up level with floor boards, I also glazed the windows from the inside using some clear plastic sheet cut to size and some frames made.
This stage was to build the farm house.

Here is the flat pack and some extrenal details like brick work and White rough piantwork -

Waterlooman  United Kingdom

Posted by Waterlooman on 20 May 2022, 01:46

And that was the main part of the farmhouse constructed and initial painting done - still needed weathering and roof work , I also created some staging inside under the dormer windows so I could place Three 5th KGL firing from there.
The front wall is attached to the front of the house and included the piggery.

Next was the stables block - this came in a few sections to be slotted together -

And some stonework painted - was weathered later -

And dry fitted part of roof and butted up to farmhouse for scale -

Still lots more to come I was at about a quarter of the way at this stage ..........

Posted by Waterlooman on 20 May 2022, 19:50

Next in the build was carrying on with the stable block then some rough weathering trying to show some heavy handling -

Then I started on the Barn -

Posted by Kekso on 21 May 2022, 07:04

A bit too clean for a farm.... Just kidding, I know it is WIP :xd:
Keep up with good work.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 21 May 2022, 07:45

Kekso wrote:A bit too clean for a farm.... Just kidding, I know it is WIP :xd:
Keep up with good work.

I agree. Those Sarissa buildings are great, and the extra detailing you are doing is impressive. The whole thing needs to be 'weathered' a bit so that it doesn't look too clean. Those bare brick sections where the rendering has fallen away need to be blended in a bit, I would say.

All coming on nicely!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 21 May 2022, 08:53

To give you some inspiration, some pictures of the real building taking by me in 2016:

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 21 May 2022, 09:45

Peter wrote:Image

Only if Napoleon had roads like that one... we all would speak French now :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 21 May 2022, 09:57

Kekso wrote:
Only if Napoleon had roads like that one... we all would speak French now :xd:

Yes, quite possibly! Roads like this would certainly have speeded up the transit of those heavy French 12 pounders for ' Le Grande Batterie'. Mud?..... No problem, we have tarmac !!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Waterlooman on 21 May 2022, 19:30

Thank you all, yep its still having alterations as I add more work to it and more layers of dirt and dust and some water pools from all the rain the night before the battle and some patches of grass,

Posted by Waterlooman on 21 May 2022, 20:07

Hi all, more progress was done to the farm complex - with the front gated entrance and side wall where it meets the barn, this area also includes the farms pond.

Posted by Waterlooman on 21 May 2022, 20:33

Now talking about the pond - the kit just supplies the out stone shape but nothing for the inside, so I made a paper bottom and when dry I painted a dirty Green colour and made up/painted some bricks that were glued in place I then poored into it a few layers of Acrylic clear wet gel, and let the whole thing set for a few days.
Then I painted the pond edging and base.

I Then made up some resin benches painted/weathered and placed and added a few figures -

Posted by Bessiere on 21 May 2022, 22:03

The farm is coming along nicely. I've found a gray wash very useful for both figures and buildings. It is barely noticeable but often shows you what further steps you may want to take. By itself it adds a bit of aging by softening all the colors which are too pure straight from the bottle.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Waterlooman on 21 May 2022, 23:29

I use both a brushed on Acrylic wash in a dirty dark brown colour, followed when dry by a Acrylic Dust thats dry brushed over.

Posted by Waterlooman on 22 May 2022, 22:50

Next on the build was to make up somemore 2nd KGL and place them near the pond -

Then I continued to work on the base of the farm adding the base floor sections then painting a part weathering it - I also added the first of my figures Major Barring on his horse and one of the 2nd KGL captains. -

I then started to populate the farm with some of the figures that had already been made/painted and had their bases cut away then glued down using super glue.

Last edited by Peter on 24 May 2022, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed picture(s).

Posted by Waterlooman on 23 May 2022, 00:24

I also did another batch of 2nd KGL -

I then placed them in the the farm =

Then I decided to mix them up a bit and add some centre position 5th KGL (as I understand some of these reinforcements were sent down also)

And placed in the farm as the kitchen garden and orchard were no under heavy attack from the French.

As an opportunity arises the KGL open the gates and rush at the French -

Last edited by Peter on 24 May 2022, 09:20, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed picture(s).

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Waterlooman on 23 May 2022, 22:46

Another little teaser for you - I have been working on a pile of injured/dead that was situated agianst the opening into the barn - they are from the Perry French Infantry box - I just messed around with the poses a bit even bent the legs back with the aid of some heat form a hairdryer, then they were glued together - primed then carefully pinted using my range of brushes - they were finished off with some washes and dru brushing.

Posted by Waterlooman on 24 May 2022, 01:36

Anyway - back on track, next on my little project was to construct and paint the kitchen garden shed, this was then glued down against the farmhouse by the roadway.

And this pic shows the display case -

Posted by Waterlooman on 25 May 2022, 03:13

So, more work continued - I got my Two sections of rough Grass mats and glued them down where the Orchard was - I then added a couple of the Hedge kits that are matted horse hair in a coiled up length that needs starightening and trimming to end, you then use the different shades of foliage and spray glue onto the hedge and sprinkle the foliage. I decided to routhen the hedges up as they would have been well and and truly walked over by men and horses.

Posted by Waterlooman on 25 May 2022, 03:25

The next stage could nearly have been a wipe out of all I had done - I had decided to try to get my base propped up to get a better angle to get more foliage to the sides of the hedges - then all of a Sudden (((Slide ..............SMASH))))) my base had slid and fell to the floor.

I picked it up expecting it to be wrecked - the kitchen shed had come away as had a few of the figures, and the front entrance to the wall had caused a gap.

So after fixing the damage I was able to find another way to make the hedges more life like - and wrecked -

The created a make shift defence out of anything they could find in the farm - a hay cart was one such item along with barrels etc - I had brought one of these - so set about destroying it and painted and weathered it -

And some bricks that had been hacked out the wall for loop holes -

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress