Gallery

Last of the Mohicans painting comp entry

Posted by k.b. on 23 Feb 2023, 02:04

Still got a long way to go before I can wrestle the Golden Brush away from Ben but anyways here was my entry in the 53rd Painting Competition.

Thought initially of entering Hawkeye on his own but my three partially painted 28mm figures by Conquest Miniatures had been sitting around gathering dust for so long so I deemed it was a fitting moment and motivation for me to finish them and enter them in the competition to honour Kostis our dear member who we lost recently. Especially as he was a master story teller - as indeed was James F Cooper who wrote the LOTM.

It was the first ever book I read without illustrations. I must have been 11 or 12 and that the written word alone could stir so many vivid scenes in my imagination was truly a revelation. The 1982 remake of the original movie with Daniel D Lewis and Madeline Stowe also left a lasting impression on me. It was an absolute classic, perhaps my favourite war movie of all time, and clearly the motivation behind Conquest’s figures.

After painting them up I needed to hurriedly get them photographed and sent quickly to Peter to guarantee them in the competition. All I needed was an appropriate background to photograph them in. This forest scene came to the rescue.

It was at this point I realised I needed some darker shadows and that the arm tattoos needed to be added.

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Susofrick on 23 Feb 2023, 10:13

I liked this entry a lot! And, like you say, Kostis was great storyteller, just like James Fenimore Cooper.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 23 Feb 2023, 11:31

This was my first oponent (Halfling Scout was my entry). Last of the Mohicans was one of my favorites. Great work.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 23 Feb 2023, 13:21

Thank you for joining the competition with this beautifull entry! And congrats with, just like Konrad, well deserved "Bronze Brush"! :thumbup:

And you really can recognize the faces of the actors in the movie from 1992, with Daniel Day-Lewis. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Konrad on 23 Feb 2023, 14:12

A very successful composition between the figs and the background.
Almost looks like a scene from the movie.
Very well done!
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Feb 2023, 19:25

Excellent work and super painting.

The faces are what make these three special in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ben90 on 23 Feb 2023, 23:08

I agree about the faces. They are full of character. Superb work!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Rich W on 25 Feb 2023, 00:58

Super work-this was my favourite entry. The 1992 film of Last of the Mohicans remains my favourite film of all time (I have copies on VHS, DVD cinema version, directors cut, theatrical cut, USA version etc). Not so sure about the original book though-a very challenging read. If anyone is after a good piece of fiction set in the French and Indian war, I'd recommend Savage Wilderness (Harold Coyle).
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 26 Feb 2023, 09:25

The film impressed me as well when I watched it ages ago in the cinema. So these well painted figures get my votes as well. But I must confess, that I voted in the end for Dalibors Halfling, which I also like very much, cause of the light-effect on the figure.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Santi Pérez on 26 Feb 2023, 18:26

Wonderful figures, k.b. The characters from the movie are perfectly recognisable in them thanks to your amazing paintjob. :love:

Well deserved Bronze Brush. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by k.b. on 27 Feb 2023, 18:43

Thanks a lot gents for your comments. One of these days i shall watch the movie again afterwhich i will set about painting these three figures again because i know i have a second copy of each of these leading characters lying around (somewhere). Next time i will add more fine details such as patterns in their musket slings, dagger pouches, beading to keep up their leggings, breechcloths, etc.

Ps/The only problem is going to be where to start looking!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 28 Feb 2023, 20:40

I like this entry very much. It also got my vote. The characters look like straight from the film....a film I like very much.

The end fight scene on the mountain, when hawkeye runs between two rocks ....he touches one of the rocks with his rifle stock.....and it´s surface bends....the rock is made of rubber or something....check it and you will see it. :-)

Again....great work mate.....One time we both will beat Ben90! :-)
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Graeme on 02 Mar 2023, 01:42

I loved this one, the figures look like they've just stepped out of the movie.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by sansovino on 04 Mar 2023, 18:50

Well done warriors which I appreciated much in the competition. Will you add still some more figures from the french-indian-war?
sansovino  Germany

Posted by k.b. on 04 Mar 2023, 19:15

Thanks sansovino, Graeme and Thomas for your generous praise. LOTM was a classic war movie that was evidently a big success with many of my peers here on Benno’s. I’ll definitely check out the dubious rocks that Hawkeye managed to dent with his musket the next time I watch it.

I think you’re right Thomas that surely there has to come a day (sooner or later) when we’re gonna fight each other for the Golden Brush while Ben will have to be content with the Bronze.

Methinks we need to start planning our storylines now to give ourselves plenty of time for the execution and photography. To beat him is certainly going to take something VERY special.

My answer to your inquiry sansovino regarding other French Indian War miniatures is that I have a whole bunch of them almost finished…. their bases need to be done and a dab of war paint added to their faces. I believe I have shown most of them here on Bennos at some time in the past. (Probably a work in progress). Not sure where or when but as soon as I get them based and warpaint added I will post them again, for those of you who are new to Bennos and didn’t catch them first time round.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Return to Gallery