Gallery

My first mini, that isn't a mini, but it's kinda mini

Posted by Palantirion on 05 Sep 2022, 07:34

Hello. My first figure post on this forum, and also my first "mini". Technically this is a plastic model kit, but in roughly 1/144 scale it's the same IRL physical size as many miniatures and the same painting techniques are appropriate. Thus I thought I might post it here to get feedback on my technique fro you more experienced painters.

As background: I most often paint on canvas (and two cars), but have been expanding my skill sets into model kits, GKs, figure repair and now minis. I really enjoyed the relatively small scale in terms of workload and session length. There was a lot more flexibility that enabled me to be more productive with less stress than with larger projects.

I approached this kit in the same way I would approach a 1/144 scale armor kit - this is armor, it just is armor with legs. I researched damaged and burnt out tanks (lots of color footage from Ukraine now).

The kit is by Max Factory, PLAMAX MF-57, depicting Dougram after its (spoiler alert) heroic scuttling the end of the series. Most often this scene is portrayed years later with Dougram completely oxidized and sand colored. I wanted to put Dougram in a more immediate context, shortly after the fires would have died. As you can tell from the kit (and the series), Dougram was not actually "blown up" but self-destructed more internally and remained visually intact. To that end my primary focus would be on the effects of flames on his paint and the terrain.

Test fitting, with an old die cast 1/144 Dougram to compare scale.

The kit was beautifully molded, but for some reason the backpack cannon had a flat tip! So I drilled that out. I also (not pictured) cleaned up and scribed lines to properly separate the right forearm from the right leg where they cross.

Then my first attempt at zenithal priming. It was tricky to get the model assembled without fully gluing it, as would need access to inner details later. Not the best zenithal, but it was useful as a road map for shading later.

Then thin washes to lay out the colors. Note most of Dougram's signature purple paint was painted in a dark silver. Washes will come later to add some purple over these areas as I wanted to show how the heat from the fire had burned most of it away.

The base painting more-or-less complete, really more of a block-in. I would go one to refine the highlights and shadows to exaggerate contrast because of the small size of the model.

I was not happy with the slightly sculpted but smooth base. Sure, at this tiny scale we shouldn't see grains of sand because in scale they would by big rocks. And where Dougram was scuttled it was open desert, no rocks or distinctive terrain. But the base needed some sense of texture. So I experimented a little and ended up going with a mix of PVA and baking soda (with a little water) and that gave me a nice faint read of texture that I then enhanced with a couple different tan washes. The blast and fire soot was drybrushed using Muso Black. I haven't heard of people using Muso as an alternative to typical flat blacks, but I find its extra darkness reads really well as soot. You can also thin it to do washes. I used water soluble oils to add oil staining and hydraulic fluid runoff.

Then more refining of the paint tones, chipping, subtle heat-staining around the right side of the torso (exit of the self-destruct fire) with red and yellow inks followed by Muso drybrushing.

Then weathering with Tamiya powders and more refining and touchup. A pic with Dougram finished, posing with the paints used:

Finished pics:

Palantirion  United States of America

Posted by Michael Robert on 05 Sep 2022, 14:04

Hello Palantirion,

Welcome to this forum! Great 1st topic. Not a usual subject here, but the tutorial is highly appreciated. New techniques and ideas (at least for me)

Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 05 Sep 2022, 16:31

Welcome Earl! And that is a very nice start here on the forum! :thumbup:

For your information I moved your introduction to this topic = Introductory thread ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 05 Sep 2022, 17:10

Excellent work Earl and a great pictorial breakdown of your painting steps. Baking Soda and PVA glue on the base!! Great idea I will be stealing that one. I had only heard of baking soda and super glue for base texture.
Welcome aboard!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Rich W on 06 Sep 2022, 00:06

Very nice start to proceedings!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Palantirion on 07 Sep 2022, 07:17

Hi all, thanks for your kind words. I appreciate you letting me post an unusual subject here. I did so specifically to get feedback from perspectives presumably less familiar with Dougram. I figure that good technique should be good technique, and your eyes would see it in a fresh way. I am quite interested in hearing any ways in which it might be improved.

PaulRPetri wrote:Excellent work Earl and a great pictorial breakdown of your painting steps. Baking Soda and PVA glue on the base!! Great idea I will be stealing that one. I had only heard of baking soda and super glue for base texture.
Welcome aboard!

-Thank you Paul. I also tested a mix of PVA and baby powder. That also would work, but has an even finer grain, probably closer to the actual scale of this model. I worried about readability so played it safer with the Baking Soda. I chose PVA because it's pretty inert with other materials. As you know, Baking Soda kicks CA glue - super useful for gusseting a weak point, but bad if you're trying to smoothly cover a wide area. Of course, CA would stick way better, but since this was just a topping and won't see rough play I wasn't worried about it.

Btw, you can use baby powder as a filler to bulk up CA and it's won't immediately kick the glue. If that's a situation in which you ever find yourself in need.

I'll have to see if I still have pictures of my old snow test swatches. I was doing a 1/144 KV-2 diorama many years ago and while I didn't paint the tank very well I ended up figuring out some great mixes for snow and slush.

My habit is to try to learn from the widest possible range of [seemingly unrelated] disciplines, because I always find useful overlap with theory and/or materials. Like with the new figure I'm working on I'm using makeup brushes for drybrushing. So far it's a solid improvement over the stiffer artist brushes I had used before.
Palantirion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Gallery