Gallery

Still here!

Posted by steve_pickstock on 19 May 2022, 09:56

So, for the last couple of months I have been very busy on another, sort of super-secret project, however hopefully that will all be revealed on Sunday or Monday.

Now that project is done - it's just waiting for the reveal - I moved on to the next sets of tasks. One of those was these guys. The Dead Nights from Danthe's Dead Friends army.

"And everywhere those awful knights,
Bound to service so long beyond their years, did pass,
When cursed hooves touched living earth
Leaf withered, and shrivelled was the grass.
"

The Dead Knights are from Games Workshop but blimey they are fragile! I mean I know about brittle bones, the affect of rust on metal etc, but the lances break if you just look at them.

So first of the new project schedule was to replace the lances with some metal ones. Snip the plastic lances off square , drill into the stump, glue in the new metal lance. A dab of superglue to help blend the join, then paint. They still need weathering in, to match the figures but much nicer.

Also in the queue - 1/700 and 1/300 scale ships and MTBs, some islands, more on the Queen-Empress Victoria, and hopefully Riders of Rohan.

That's all for today, stay safe every one.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Bessiere on 19 May 2022, 11:12

Ghoul de Garde? Never seen the undead army before, these look amazing. Never, and I mean never seen anything like them.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by steve_pickstock on 19 May 2022, 11:22

Bessiere wrote:Ghoul de Garde? Never seen the undead army before, these look amazing. Never, and I mean never seen anything like them.

Apparently I haven't ever posted pictures of that army here on Benno's ! :shock:

here is a link to an album of the figures on my facebook profile you should be able to see them.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10159340573874256&type=3
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Minuteman on 19 May 2022, 19:36

Very nice indeed! Those re-engineered metal lances should make everything much better and more secure for handling of these ghoulish knights on the tabletop.

Looking forward to seeing more.....
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 19 May 2022, 21:47

Danthe and her Dead Friends

This army began after Games Workshop released a part work collection around their Age of Sigmar range.

GW may not be the most popular of entities with the 'thinking gamer', but they do produce some nice models. The first figures on this magazine thing, which was available through my local supermarket for about a third the price of what they would be in a GW storem, are very pretty. they're full of character and nicely made models. They came with some human figures which I was not impressed with but hey! Those would do as statues.

My mate Dave, got very excited and kept on at me to do a 28mm army for Dragon Rampant, so after a week or so I caved in, bought a copy (or two) and got to work.

So at the time I was just getting into Nordic Shamanic band Heilung and their album Lifa (to live or be alive) and there was a video floating round for the game Hellblade 2 - https://youtu.be/2TR0gaG01do. The music for it is from the album Lifa, but more inportantly it gave me a start on the army.

Danthe is a woman who has made some poor choices in her life, or rather her un-life. She is a necromancer and she has a grudge. She is inspired by Senua from the game video. Figure is a GW Dark Elf sorcerous that I had lying around and I did some small surgeries on so that she looks like she is dragging the dead up from their graves by eldritch means.

Somewhere along the line Danthe ended up with some ghosts/wraiths/things
These figures were the ones offered in the magazines, I bought a second copy because Dragon Rampant uses units of twelve figures and GW offer them in tens. A couple of small alterations and I based them on 25mm discs with a movement tray. Thinned out colours, using lots of supporting media

The second issue of the magazine contained some more, bigger, wraith jobs.
There were four of these in the pack but I only used 3 (a reduced model unit making it a much tougher unit - dead creatues need to be tougher).

The next up on the list were some skeletons. An undead army without skeletons, just isn't an undead army. Warlord Games Warriors of Erewhon, enough figures in a box for 12 warriors with spears and 12 with bows. Pesky little buggers to put together but well worth the effort.

Lastly - apart from the Dead Knights, the army needed a bit of muscle, something that wouldn't crumble to dust as soon as someone looked at it. So I took a set of Frostgrave Barbarians from North Star/Osprey, and there were enough in that set to do 6 Elite (tough ass) Vampire Warriors, and 12 Vampre Thrall Warriors. Nothing clever here, just straight up barbarians but with a nod to the Hell Blade video and a bit of warpaint.

Lords
Thralls

Danthe lets the boys loose on the enemy

I hope you found this useful, thank you for looking in. Regards Steve.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 20 May 2022, 09:21

It's a fantastic painted army of deads! And I really like how the lady is painted! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 21 May 2022, 01:52

Danthe is wonderful!

Exactly the kind of woman our mothers warned us about. :love:

Those wraiths are fabulous, I really like the spectral look of those. they could work as Barrow wights.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Minuteman on 21 May 2022, 07:41

These look great!! A truly Undead Army, a bewitching and splendidly painted Danthe, and the wraiths with their ethereal 'flowing' appearance are wonderful.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 22 May 2022, 20:00

You have achieved an amazing army, Steve. Great painted figures! :drool: :drool: :drool:

My best congratulations. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by MABO on 06 Jun 2022, 08:33

I missed your impact in my hobby-life. So it is good to see something new. The figures you have painted are once more a joy to look at. Another cool project!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 07 Jun 2022, 00:22

Late to the party but that is great stuff Steve!!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Return to Gallery