Miniatures News

Alliance news & releases 2020 - 2023

Posted by steve_pickstock on 29 Mar 2021, 13:18

My first order from Hannants arrived.
3 - yes 3! - boxes of Ringwraiths. 1 for me and 2 for my friend Dave who is going to convert 1 into elf cavalry. Don't ask me how that's going to work, I have no idea.

They're very green.
The figures and horses come in a bright green, which is going to need a good solid undercoat. OF BLACK! Obviously. A couple of the horses' bases are warped, but they are quite open galloping poses so to be honest, I'm not surprised. There are ways of dealing with that.
The detail is nice. The poses, well the poses are good for a bunch of gibbering wraiths driven mad by a centuries long servitude to the Dark Lord Sauron - doing his dirty work for him, picking him when he gets blasted to smithereens by the Last Alliance, hunting Bagginssssssss, all that sort of thing. Yeah the poses work well.

The Cyclopses are nice, about 40 - 45mm, 12 to a box, neutral grey plastic. Very characterful, some lovely details. They bring to mind the kind of Terry Gilliam/Time Bandits imagery. They're going to go nicely in my Dark Ages Greek project.

Pictures later.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Mar 2021, 14:49

Thanks for the mini-review. It is always nice to read something from a forum fellow who has the genuine artifact in hand. Looking forward to seeing your Ringwraiths in the WIP or Gallery section someday soon. Perhaps after the Musketeers project is done?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by PhilC on 29 Mar 2021, 15:15

steve_pickstock wrote:The Cyclopses are nice, about 40 - 45mm, 12 to a box, neutral grey plastic. Very characterful, some lovely details. They bring to mind the kind of Terry Gilliam/Time Bandits imagery.
Pictures later.

That's very good news, because I am a big fan of this movie :yeah:
I haven't order all these sets yet, but I will try (maybe next year, after all that's already begun) to convert some of the Cyclopses into 'Atlantean' ones, with a blue / green color scheme, and seaweed in the hair ;-)
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Howlin on 30 Mar 2021, 01:05

I would really like to see some of those cyclopes next to some greek minis, Its a set I really want to get just because the poses look so good.
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by steve_pickstock on 30 Mar 2021, 20:35

A few pictures of the Alliance Cyclopses.

I have no idea why the sizes of these pictures vary so much. Sorry. Also someone asked if I could get a picture with some Greek figures, but I couldn't lay my hand to any this evening.

steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Howlin on 31 Mar 2021, 01:04

It was me, I just wanted to see how they looked with 1/72 minis, and this suffices. thank you

The figs look good....
Howlin  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 31 Mar 2021, 12:37

Howlin wrote:It was me, I just wanted to see how they looked with 1/72 minis, and this suffices. thank you

The figs look good....

They do don't they? Pleased to be of service.

Played around with the pictures this morning, I think these are better.

steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 31 Mar 2021, 12:45

The figure in the middle doesn't look impressed of the size of his opponents! :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing Steve! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 31 Mar 2021, 17:29

Thanks for sharing Steve and the second edition is better indeed!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 01 Apr 2021, 12:00

Good morning all, and a happy Easter!

It's been a pretty busy week figure-wise here on the shores of the Mighty Mersey river. Four new sets from Alliance, curtesy of Hannants, and to be honest none of them have disappointed. I know you're still waiting for images of the Dark Riders but today we have the Southern Warriors and the Anubis Army.

Southern Warriors
Talking to Alliance about these, I understand that the creator is keen to keep on making LotR themed figure sets, well if these are anything to go by, he should keep on doing so. These will function perfectly as intended - Faramir's Rangers of Ithilien, but they will also work as general warriors for pretty much any fantasy setting, and that is really useful. No more repurposed Zvezda Vikings or Airfix Robin Hood. I haven't measured them yet but they look pretty tall, towards the 26mm end of things, but the Gondorians were tall, coming from the line of men of Numenor.
They are nice figures, the green plastic doesn't do them any favours but the mouldings are pretty clean. The figures are well equipped and I am sure they will find their way into lots of armies, not ust Lord of the Rings ones.
I am not sure about the red shields in the box art, as red is the first colour that the eye sees, and the Rangers were all about stealth, but that is just a matter of a paintbrush.

Anubis Army - or Who Let The Dogs Out!
I have been suggesting this army to anyone who would listen for years. And what a pay off.
Spot on for the Anubians from The Mummy 2, really nicely detailed, good spread of poses and well executed. To coin a phrase they are the dog's dangly bits!
Only 40 figures to the box, four sprues of 10 figures, but these puppies are BIG! At least 30mm tall, like the previous Minotaur set.

This picture shows how tall these guys are, compared with the Southern Rangers
Ranger: "Yo Dog!"
Anubis Warrior: "Waassssssssup!"

I am looking forwards to adding these to my Tomb Kings army and letting slip these particular dogs of war.

Have a good week-end! Stay safe.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 01 Apr 2021, 12:15

Thanks for sharing this comparison with us Steve! Very helpfull! :thumbup:

And wonderfull figures indeed! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Apr 2021, 16:19

Really useful reviews, thank you Steve.

I have been collecting all of the Dark Alliance LoTR figures as these have been released. This is an excellent range, and the manner it has grown mirrors the Strelets War of Spanish Succession range in the way that is 'Blossoming' and growing....(apologies for the 'Springtime gardening term here). Each set seems to improve on the previous one.

The Southern Warriors (Rangers) look very versatile. The Anubis Army looks intriguing, and cries out 'buy me!' even though I really don't need it...except of course that Zvezda have re-released their Ancient Egyptian Army this month. Could there perhaps be an 'extra' force of Easterners, unforseen by JRRT and consisting of 'men' and 'super-human dogs', adding extra pressure against the ranks of the LoTR races of Men and Elves here??
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 01 Apr 2021, 18:07

I want to have them all!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Redmao on 02 Apr 2021, 14:11

Both sets look incredible!
Redmao  Canada

Posted by steve_pickstock on 16 Apr 2021, 13:23

Started prepping the Black Rider set for painting today, so a couple of pictures of them for you.

These were a pig to put together. The riders all had to take a turn on a grinding stone with Mr Dremel to get them to fit, but once it was done I think they make decent figures.

They have been glued to 2mm MDF bases from Warbases. The black gritty looking stuff is Lava Gel from Windsor & Newton. It is tiny black particles in an acrylic gel, originally designed for nail art I believe, anyway it gives a nice texture (like the volcabnic ground surface of Mordor for example). Word of warning while it is still wet, the damned stuff gets everywhere.

Anyway these will be sprayed black and left for a couple of days and then dry-brushed to within an inch of their tormented and unnaturally elongated lives.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Apr 2021, 14:45

Soon these fell riders will be unleashed on an unhappy world! Thanks for showing us the first stage.

But you should probably start a new thread for this process in the WIP section.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 16 Apr 2021, 16:40

Bluefalchion wrote:Soon these fell riders will be unleashed on an unhappy world! Thanks for showing us the first stage.

But you should probably start a new thread for this process in the WIP section.

Perhaps, once I have cleared enough of the Musketeer project. I thought I would get these pictures up while I had a chance, as I had shown the other three new sets. But the boys, here, will be joining a Dragon Rampant army - orcs, warg riders, and of course a cave troll, so when I'm ready for that, I'll start a Middle Earth project thread, if people want it.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Minuteman on 16 Apr 2021, 16:42

All looking good and suitably scary (and very black of course). Thanks for the Winsor and Newton gel tip.

With the amount of firmly-applied and rigorous dry brushing these little monsters will face in due course, I almost feel sorry for them..... :-D
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Michael Robert on 16 Apr 2021, 16:46

Thanks from me, too, Steve, for this detailed review
These LOTR figures are very useful. The Nomads and Corsairs complete my medieval Muslim or Saracen armies (with a little bit of carving), the Steppe riders are perfect for dark ages cavalry and now these Southern warriors could nearly go as Robin Hood and companions. I will take them for early medieval archers and hunters.
Finally, the dark riders have wonderful horses for a knight charge and the figures themselves can easily be converted either to crusaders or the like with a head exchange or simply by putting faces into the hoods / capuches.
All the rest I leave for the Fantasy figures experts :-D

Happy painting
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by dykio on 16 Apr 2021, 18:24

please notice that these are not al black riders....

this is the mouth of sauron....

Succes with painting and im looking forward to see these finished :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News