Miniatures News

Linear-A news & releases 2020 - 2024

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Aug 2021, 07:45

They are certainly lovely figures.

Unlike the hopefully soon to arrive Pyrrhic phalangites, I'm not sure what I would do with many of them.
The various Psiloi are fine but the several armoured swordsmen?

They wouldn't fit into an homogenous unit & anyway: a unit of what? Are they hoplites who've lost their spears? Fairly heavily armoured for hoplites of the period.
They could make for a selection of officers, perhaps.

Further thought is needed on this. I would like to use such great figures in my Pyrrhic army.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Howlin on 01 Aug 2021, 07:53

Been waiting for these for a while, I have really liked the spear man with the headdress

I think likely these may represent not a single unit of allies/mercs but are units taken from many outlier areas.

I would have liked another spear unit but with the phalanx spears there at least will not be as much redundancy possibly>?
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Misteredd on 01 Aug 2021, 14:28

The figures are wonderful. I imagine to use them storming Mount Eryx - attacking te city wall descending from a siege tower. Anything is there. Psiloi giving fire support. Heavy armoured hoplites using their sword.

I do not understand this single Ligurian - how he fit in this team. I do not know if Phyrros employed Ligurians anyway. They are northern Italians?
Misteredd  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 01 Aug 2021, 23:21

Wonderful figures they are, and also useful for other Greek or Macedonian style armies apart from Pyrrhus' one, aren't they? :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 02 Aug 2021, 01:29

Ochoin wrote:I'm not sure what I would do with many of them. The various Psiloi are fine but the several armoured swordsmen?

They wouldn't fit into an homogenous unit & anyway: a unit of what? Are they hoplites who've lost their spears? Fairly heavily armoured for hoplites of the period.

Howlin wrote:I think likely these may represent not a single unit of allies/mercs but are units taken from many outlier areas.

I think there's a clear inspiration of the sculpts from Ancient Warfare Magazine:

and they're meant to represent mercenaries in a particular situation, perhaps in close quarters where their spears have been sundered or unsuitable. They don't look like they would set off to war like that; circumstances have rendered them into swordsmen. In the context of the magazine cover, maybe they're fighting foes between the legs of the elephants so spears are unwieldy in that situation?

I'm going to use them to represent mercs mid-battle, needing to travel light to rush to an ally's aid.

Misteredd wrote:I do not understand this single Ligurian - how he fit in this team. I do not know if Phyrros employed Ligurians anyway. They are northern Italians?

I do find it funny that there is a single Ligurian in the set. Like he's just lost and he's decided to tag along because what else can he do? :mrgreen:

Santi Pérez wrote:Wonderful figures they are, and also useful for other Greek or Macedonian style armies apart from Pyrrhus' one, aren't they? :drool:

I think they could represent any number of disarmed Hellenistic pikemen and mercenaries of all kinds, so could fit in a few different armies.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Howlin on 02 Aug 2021, 06:46

Ahh, so this explains why Zvezda has those pesky connectors on its back phalanx set.... Took it from this picture a little too far!

Cool magazine though.... where is our mercenary elephant?

also, its higher on the list why have they not worked on the anti elephant cart.... I do hope it comes with one.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Aug 2021, 12:34

Howlin wrote:Ahh, so this explains why Zvezda has those pesky connectors on its back phalanx set.... Took it from this picture a little too far!

Evidentially, Macedonian pikes came in two parts with a bronze join. The Zvesda pikes show this but with an exaggerated join. I guess they couldn't make anything too fine that would hold the two halves of the pike together. A pity as it makes the figures rather ugly IMO.

The magazine illustration is attractive but I think the only infantry associated with elephants would be skirmishers? The Linear A swordsmen are clearly not that but heavy infantry.

"I think they could represent any number of disarmed Hellenistic pikemen and mercenaries of all kinds," Sure...but were do I fit disarmed pikemen in a wargames' army. And most don't look rank and file to me either.

I will stress I really like the LA figures but they make it difficult to fit them in wargames' units. I will buy several of the phalangite boxes but one of these Pyrrhus 2 sets will provide me with more officers than I need.

Obviously, I am only speaking for myself & others may well find these lovely figures to be of more use.
I hope so because Linear A should be encouraged.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 03 Aug 2021, 21:10

038 - The Roman Army under King Servius Tullius
Rome's early period 6th century BC

Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Howlin on 05 Aug 2021, 20:58

Fortunately its just for the back men, for the Zvezda issue. I would not be suprised if thinner material could be found from plastic parts scratch builders use.... I like the horizontal sarissas but am super excited for the upcoming phalanx sets.... I just hope all weapons can be molded in.

I am not an expert but as a general I think I would want heavy or senior troops to protect my elephants.

Admittedly I do not need 4 sprues of it either but am glad they are making sets like these

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 06 Aug 2021, 01:13

Ochoin wrote:"I think they could represent any number of disarmed Hellenistic pikemen and mercenaries of all kinds," Sure...but were do I fit disarmed pikemen in a wargames' army. And most don't look rank and file to me either.

I will stress I really like the LA figures but they make it difficult to fit them in wargames' units.

I agree that they probably won't be handy for most mass battle wargames. They don't fit in a 'standard' unit description for Hellenistic armies. Perhaps they could work for skirmish wargames?

Anyway, I'm with you, I like them, I'm glad they exist. I'll find a way to use them in some way or other, but they are unconventional.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Ochoin on 06 Aug 2021, 04:26

I certainly don't know the economics of manufacturing plastic figures.
Does every set have to be a mass seller?

I said I'd buy a box of Linear A's Pyrrhus/2 & I will......when I buy several boxes of their phalangites & a box of their 'Sacrifice before Battle' figures.
I might even get some of their Tarantine cavalry.
It's all waiting on the phalangites.

However, if there were no phalangites would I buy Pyrrhus/2 and the others? Maybe not. Too much trouble & expense (P&P) for something I don't desperately want. So the economics of figure manufacturing might well allow some sets to sell at a lower volume than others and still be a success & worthwhile.

At any rate, I'll repeat, I wish Linear A well as they're the best manufacturer, IMO, since Caesar.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Misteredd on 08 Aug 2021, 10:56

The approach to represent complete periods and opposing armies seems to be the key. There are a lot of different Roman Legionaries sets. For a very long time the only opponents were those ESCI Barbarians or those really ancient airfix celts. This ist really boring. Now we received those Carthaginians by Zvezda and Hat and lienar B. Same for those Dacians. We do have some Germans, some Mithridatics and so on. Now it is getting to be interesting.
Misteredd  

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 18 Aug 2021, 22:41

046 - Samnite Wars Samnite/Italian Allies Cavalry Set 2
Further figures revealed today. :thumbup:

Two other figures can be seen on page 15. ;-)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 18 Aug 2021, 22:43

Erich von Manstein wrote:046 - Samnite Wars Samnite/Italian Allies Cavalry Set 2

Further figures revealed today. :thumbup:

Looks very nice!
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Misteredd on 29 Aug 2021, 19:19

Seleucid Phalangists are shown for scrutination!

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/ ... /image.jpg
Misteredd  

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 29 Aug 2021, 20:24

This set is currently being cast. 24 figures in only 8 poses.

033 - Hellenistic Diadochi / Epigonoi - Seleucid Infantry Phalanx Set 1 Battle of Raphia 217 BC

Two previously announced sets should be available soon now. Both offering better quantity with 48 figures in 12 poses each.

037 - Neanderthal vs. Denisovan vs. Homo sapiens Set 1

045 - The Army of Pyrrhus of Epirus - Infantry Allies / Mercenaries Set 2 Pyrrhic War 280-275 BC

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 29 Aug 2021, 22:23

Misteredd wrote:Seleucid Phalangists are shown for scrutination!

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/ ... /image.jpg

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Howlin on 30 Aug 2021, 18:34

Well that will make for one impressive phalanx line.... I hope they reduce the price of the boxes since they have so fewer figs.

Posted by Misteredd on 31 Aug 2021, 19:19

There are two more sarrissophor sets inbound. They will fit together well.
Misteredd  

Posted by Misteredd on 31 Aug 2021, 19:20

I am still hoping for phalanx in action sets. Stabbing and pike fencing guys in the thick of it.
Misteredd  

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News