Miniatures News

Linear-A news & releases 2020 - 2024

Posted by linear-A on 17 Feb 2023, 09:37

Hello Gentlemen,
we're starting a discussion on our forums about future roman sets.
We would like to invite you and hear your point of view.
Just write to us in our forum, under
https://linear-a.xobor.de
Ciao
linear-A
linear-A  Germany

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 13 May 2023, 16:17

So these are two new masters from the Varus Mini Set. I don't really know if I need a Roman figure executing another Roman figure, but it's definitely unique and interesting.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 16 May 2023, 14:34

Eastern Roman Empire 6th Century Masters.

Hannibal vs Scipio - Battle of Zama.

I like both sets very much. The large range of Byzantine troops is nice and rarely covered, the specific character figures are useful.

Posted by Chariobaude on 16 May 2023, 15:09

The justinian range is as promising as late ! Linear wrote that they will expand the range, wich is a very good news, because withour cavalry it has no sense to build a byzantinian army.
All the masters are really masterpieces, they even propose ballistarii !!
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Bessiere on 16 May 2023, 21:39

These masters are superb. Lots of character which many sets seem to lack. I agree cavalry would be the perfect addition. If all goes well maybe a Varangian guard? I'm presently working on Linear A set- 027 French cavalry. Very helpful for diorama creation for which I am most grateful!
I applaud you asking the modeling community for input. Very commendable.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Chariobaude on 18 May 2023, 09:21

Bessiere wrote:These masters are superb. Lots of character which many sets seem to lack. I agree cavalry would be the perfect addition. If all goes well maybe a Varangian guard? I'm presently working on Linear A set- 027 French cavalry. Very helpful for diorama creation for which I am most grateful!
I applaud you asking the modeling community for input. Very commendable.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Yes, I guess except Mars and strelets, the hobby is now declining, but fortunately we have Linear !
About Varagians, this guard came later, more than two centuries after. But in fact, byzantian armies of later timeframes can be build with normal middle age sets, with time they were clearly influenced by western warfare...Using huge quantities of western mercenaries !
Chariobaude  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 20 May 2023, 04:05

I am also happy to see Linear-A producing their cool sets. I like the Zama set for the two personalities. Maybe the other two figures could have been more individual as well... But I will buy the set for sure.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 16 Jun 2023, 02:22

Mini-box sets being released at the end of June!

Box 1

Box 2

Box 3

Posted by MABO on 16 Jun 2023, 05:45

Thanks for sharing. I am wondering how long the system of these sets will work ...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Konrad on 16 Jun 2023, 12:13

MABO wrote:I am wondering how long the system of these sets will work ...

I see it the same way.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Minuteman on 16 Jun 2023, 14:36

I can certainly make use of the Punic War set of personality figures, and the four Byzantine figures look lovely, and are probably worth buying just for the sake of having these unique and attractive sculpts.

Well done to Linear A for producing these figures.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 16 Jun 2023, 23:47

Lovely looking figures, but for the price being charged per box of 4 figures, I would want more...
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Chariobaude on 19 Jun 2023, 15:20

Well... let's be honest, after praising once more lienar for providing us new great adds on ancient ranges ;

- first, the mould seems a bit disapointing when you remember their beautiful masters...
- then, four figures for a box, with the cost of delivery... well, i'm waiting for the price !
Off course, i will buy it, but still...
Chariobaude  France

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 21 Jun 2023, 13:27

My opinion is a little bit of everyone else's: I'm grateful someone is still making 1/72 ancients but... 4 figures a box? 1/72 has famously been the budget scale, I don't know what this would be priced at, but 4 figures seems quite low. I know the economy isn't great, but, still, 4 figures. It's 1/72 scale, they wouldn't even cover half of my palm. Couldn't they have thrown an extra sprue in or added two more unique figures?

I do want the sculpts and I do think I'll eventually buy it to show my support for the hobby, but I think we could have got more bang for the buck.

Posted by Peter on 21 Jun 2023, 14:36

I have seen a box of "Waterloo After the Battle British Disaster" priced for 10 American Dollars. :shock:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 21 Jun 2023, 15:14

Peter wrote:I have seen a box of "Waterloo After the Battle British Disaster" priced for 10 American Dollars. :shock:

Shocked indeed!! One of the charms of collecting 1/72 plastic figures is that they are (usually) much less expensive than their metal 20mm and/or 28mm plastic alternatives. There is a limit to how much a small set of plastic figures should be, price wise. Ten dollars is far too much.....
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Howlin on 22 Jun 2023, 02:38

I would like to get the punic war set, and maybe the Justinians just to collect or have a king figure, but I haven't gotten any of the 4 pose sets, there are some other decent ones out there but I just haven't been that motivated to buy them. After the shipping and buying a couple together it really adds up and I'd rather have the larger sets with like 6-8 times the minis for about 7$ more. I do not really see it as much of a problem with the cost of the items but more so how inflation has made everything so much more expensive there is less to spend on such things. Well at least its not like a smoking habit where people spend 10$ a day. I have most of what I want and more than I need, more civilian poses would be great and its awesome there are some really unique ancient sets being made. Still waiting for the Egyptian phalanx and Samnite cavalry set to hit ebay. I will get those.
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Jun 2023, 19:52

Strelets produce these,do they not? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 25 Jun 2023, 01:06

Howlin wrote:Still waiting for the Egyptian phalanx and Samnite cavalry set to hit ebay. I will get those.

Me too. Annoyingly, they still don't seem to be sold more widely yet. It's been months... I'm finding it quite tricky to get the recent sets of anything in 1/72.

Linear-A seem to have noticed the negative feedback on mini sets, and had this to say:

"the mini sets are intended as supplementary sets - nobody needs eg Justinian 4x in a normal box since there would be 4 sprues in the box
possibly one or the other collector may not want a Justinian but only the Byzantine army, we try to be flexible.
And let's be honest, which manufacturer in plastic still makes the Byzantine army in Justinian's time? - I don't know any manufacturer.
So negative excitement at a very high level.
Of course, the mini sets are not cheap, but the alternative would be no mini sets, no Justinian and no Marc Antony and Cleopatra and many others to come.
"

So, more sets coming, they "will release the Byzantine sets at the end of June at the latest at the beginning of July."

Set 1

Set 2

I think people prefer the bigger sets. I'm really liking these ones. We don't have many Byzantine sculpts in 1/72, so this is great!

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Jun 2023, 04:52

Linear-A makes a valid point.
I have commissioned a few unobtainable figures from private sculptors. Great figures but the price was not cheap. Considerably more than what's asked for the above mini-boxes. I look at these Linear-A 4-figure boxes in the same way. You want these extraordinary figures, then you got to pay the price.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News