Miniatures Talk

Linear A beauty

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Feb 2022, 12:22

I finally received boxes of the Linear A Pyrrhus Set 1 I'd ordered quite a while ago.

I know the scans have long been out & the PSR review of the set but there's nothing like holding figures in your hands. These figures are beautiful. A little flash here & there but nothing to worry about. The pikes are bent but hot water will fix that. The detail & proportions of the figures are amongst the best I've seen in 1/72.

I've always said that Caesar are my favourite manufacturer. I think that's now changed.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 20 Feb 2022, 09:58

Looking forward to your brushwork Donald. ;-) :thumbup:

link to the set on PSR: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2713
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Feb 2022, 10:25

Although my painting desk is currently filled with SYW Hungarians, I had to do a bit of work on the phalangites.

I cut 8 figures off the sprue & , using a sharp knife, removed the flash. Step two involves a tealight (candle) & a tool I made by unwinding a paper clip & sticking one end in a cork (handle). The other end is heated & run down any little bits of plastic not properly cut away, melting them (wear a mask!).

The now sharp looking figures were washed in very hot, detergent & water. The pikes became straight & look very good indeed.

I've undercoated the figures (Vallejo grey Primer) But they'll have to wait until my Gyulai line regiment & Gyulai & Estrehazy grenadier regiment are finished.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Howlin on 24 Feb 2022, 10:43

I would love to see your before and after pictures of the difference the hot paperclip technique works.
or just the after effects if you have already done it.

It is a lovely set, but the flash is considerable!

I couldn't pass up this set either (its difficult to resist but the prices are the most expensive sets I have bought) but will be a long while before I paint them, they are trimmed and look well enough, but there are tiny little things.

Oh yeah if anyone has 1 sprue of the mercenaries set they can part with, I would like to add that but I could not justify a whole army of them.
Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Feb 2022, 11:44

Does this do them justice?

Two cleaned figures on the left, two straight from the sprue on the right:

They are nice figures & worth the effort to clean them up.
I have an existing phalanx of Newline figures which are definitely inferior to the Linear A product (& cost roughly the same per figure).

As for the Set 2 Pyrrhus, I totally agree. I can't justify buying them to gain a handful of "useable" & needed figures. They're lovely, for sure, but as most don't suit a wargaming collection, I'd like a single sprue, too, for officers etc.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 05 Mar 2022, 17:44

Donald, I'll bring a sprue of the second set next time I'm near you!

Hope to see these miniatures painted soon! I'd love to start my own phalanx, but too many projects, not enough time!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Konrad on 05 Mar 2022, 19:49

How about this

Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by MABO on 05 Mar 2022, 22:42

Another Phalanx, Konrad?! Great project!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by johnl5555 on 28 Mar 2022, 17:19

I was curious how nice those figs were. Look forward to seeing them on the table. The paperclip or sewing needle in a cork technique has been around for a long time. You can heat a little to use as a welder when swapping bits or heat a little longer using a candle to use as a hot knife cutting parts. It works pretty well.

Thanks

John
johnl5555  United States of America

Return to Miniatures Talk