Miniatures Talk

Red Box Jacobite cavalry: SYW solutions

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Dec 2021, 06:56

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of several boxes of the RB Lifeguard & FitzJames' Horse.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2828

As a wargamer, my figures need to "work" for me so I'll want to use them as SYW French cavalry; divided into specific sized units &, ideally with command & with as few compromises as possible to satisfy my inner-historian.

The easiest solution is to use figures 5-11 as Heavy cavalry- probably the Orléans regiment:
http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php? ... _Cavalerie

The regiment started the war in tricornes & later moved to bearskins, so a bear-skinned standard bearer could mark this transition (or, alternatively, I'll head-swop this figure). Sadly, though an officer is present, there aren't any musicians. C'est la guerre

The first 4 figures provide a possible opportunity. They don't have turnbacks & possess noticeable cravates. So, not really Line cavalry. My French SYW army (quite a large one with 19 infantry battalions etc) is rather weak with only a single superior unit (the Grenadiers d'France) & several second rate ones. It would be no bad thing to add another elite.....

So:
http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php? ... ganisation
Several squadrons could be created though without command figures....the senior officer (last figure) could be a commander, I guess.

Comments & suggestions welcome.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Dec 2021, 14:11

I seem to recall a discussion in this or A N Other Forum some time ago, in which you asked whether the forthcoming Redbox sets would be useable as SYW cavalry. Well, now we have sight of the new sets and three of the four of them seem eminently suitable as Austrian Succession/SYW cavalry. I'll certainly be using the FitzJames Horse/Princes Bodyguard set as French WoAS cavalry, and the British Horse and Dragoons sets for British and Hanoverian cavalry, for the Dettingen/Fontenoy period (1740s).

Your proposals seem eminently suitable and appropriate donald. Good luck!

PS: Incidentally, the sets have now arrived at retailers in the UK; I'll be placing an order for quite a lot of boxes tomorrow and hopefully these will be here by the weekend.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Dec 2021, 18:42

Thanks, M.M.

One of my pals is assembling a Hanoverian/British SYW army (nothing painted yet) so I'll leave the RB British cavalry to him.
Another has expressed interest in covering the Jacobite period, so I'll watch that with interest also.

I'm culling, consolidating & improving my SYW French at the moment. I'll try to sell some Revell, Zvesda & metals I no longer want, re-base some of the generals (I have some diorama ideas) and add some transport.

I think the SYW French one of the most colourful armies of any period & although my record of losing with them in wargames is fairly high, I like them very much.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Miniatures Talk