Miniatures Talk

So you want a few Huns.....

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Oct 2021, 08:13

I certainly do so I sampled the three sources available for our scale.

I bought Newline ones and whilst they're serviceable, they're also a bland.
And the horses are the usual, not overly attractive Newline mounts.
Worth getting? Yes..... but their passive poses won't excite.

The HaT ones. Better but detail is a little fuzzy and the horses are not very good at all. Also the riders seem to perch on them rather than ride them. Worth getting? Yes...... I like variety in my armies but they are certainly not HaT's finest.

Tumbling Dice arrived today.
They're great. The twisted bodies show effort with the bow or lance. Lots of variety in figures in terms of dress, weaponry, armour, pose. They are really top-notch figures. The Command pack has a figure that will make a good Hun commander (Attila?) and you also get a large quantity of banners, flags, shields, various weapons and....severed heads. TD's Hun ponies are possibly a little large (but noticeably smaller than their Roman/Goth chargers) but definitely attractive models.

Worth getting? I have no doubts they'd please virtually anyone.

The first two manufacturers have easily accessed photos of their work. TD don't which is a pity.
Once I've cleaned them up (a small amount of easily removed flash), I'll post some photos.

I'm really looking forward to painting them - they've jumped the queue to be my next task.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 18 Oct 2021, 10:28

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Oct 2021, 10:48

I did look at these but they're, frankly, awful.

Too awful at any price.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Oct 2021, 06:46

This will give you an idea of the mounted archers:

8 figures & there's 6 different poses!
I will undercoat tonight.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by steve_pickstock on 20 Oct 2021, 09:37

Nice bases.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Minuteman on 20 Oct 2021, 12:32

Thanks for posting the images of the Hunnic horse archers from Tumbling Dice. These look very good indeed. Will be good to see them once they are painted, based and charging about the table with their lethal composite bows.

PS: Yes, I agree with you regarding the awful Lucky Toys set...no more than toys, although they might have some sort of application in a Fantasy army perhaps ?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Xantippos on 20 Oct 2021, 15:54

In my opinion, I love the Lucky Toys Huns! I bought them ages ago when they appeared, but apparently I lost one of the horses sprues while looking at them walking out of the shop! then by Christmas I received another box, and so I have now a double set. For me, they are the best Huns. Maybe a bit more Hsiung-Nu, more oriental, but excellent nevertheless. I am surprised as how they are so expensive, not so long ago they were still all around!

But is very interesting this about the Tumbling Dice Huns. Certainly not easy to find pictures of them. So, they come at about 1 GBP per mounted figure?
Xantippos  

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Oct 2021, 00:38

Xantippos wrote:In my opinion, I love the Lucky Toys Huns!

My apologies for my blanket condemnation. Just my opinion & based on them as opponents for the Late Romans.

I take your point about making them earlier & the enemies of the Chinese. Good idea.

The mounted TDs are a bit less than a pound a figure+ horse. What makes it an extravagant purchase for me is the P&P to OZ which not quite doubles the price.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Xantippos on 24 Oct 2021, 14:27

Don't worry, we all have our hated and loved sets ;) .

I can imagine being a headache living in Australia for the shipping purposes. I struggle myself finding things with decent shipping cost that will deliver, living in Malta!
Xantippos  

Posted by johnl5555 on 09 Nov 2022, 20:53

Now if I could just find STL files I'd be printing them all up at 1/72 scale! Did that with an Aztec kickstarter that included enemies of the Aztecs. I scaled them down to fit with all my Revell and Caesar figs. Printed up some Pyramids and about a dozen native houses and other buildings.

Thanks

John
johnl5555  United States of America

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 10 Nov 2022, 13:15

Looking forward to seeing some painted Huns Donald!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Kaiphranos on 10 Nov 2022, 20:52

johnl5555 wrote:Now if I could just find STL files I'd be printing them all up at 1/72 scale! Did that with an Aztec kickstarter that included enemies of the Aztecs. I scaled them down to fit with all my Revell and Caesar figs. Printed up some Pyramids and about a dozen native houses and other buildings.

Have you got pictures of these posted somewhere? I'd be very curious to see them!
Kaiphranos  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 11 Nov 2022, 19:20

Hi, Owen,

now the photos are back, here's a game in which the Huns featured:

viewtopic.php?f=173&t=25886

There'll be another in about a month.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 12 Nov 2022, 12:42

Ah, your games look like so much fun, I'm sure the next battle report will be great!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Ochoin on 12 Nov 2022, 13:45

OwenChpw wrote:Ah, your games look like so much fun, I'm sure the next battle report will be great!

Thanks. The rules have been heavily modified for our next game. I hope they work!

There's still a place at the gaming table if ever you're up here.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Miniatures Talk