Miniatures Talk

Prussian musician's uniform

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Jun 2021, 10:33

I started to work on my Prussians. But I have a question. I am using a pretty old book from Osprey's Men-at-arms-series:

And the two musicians in the book both have grey uniforms, no reason why in the text.

24th (4th Brandenburg) regiment:

And Landwehr cavalry (1st Pomeranian regiment):

I have painted two of my musicians in grey unform. Very early in the painting so easy to repaint. But was it common for musicians to have grey or was it just these two regiments? I have seen blue uniform elsewhere. I do like them in grey, but is that totally wrong?
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 04 Jun 2021, 12:12

Looks like they have grey uniforms:

You know this site Gunnar: http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/index.php
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Graeme on 05 Jun 2021, 03:23

Musicians should generally wear the same uniform as the rest of their battalion (assuming the whole battalion is wearing the same uniform), perhaps distinguished by swallow tail shoulder wings in the facing colour.

Some battalions of the ex reserve and ex Freicorps regiments wore grey surtouts or sleeved waistcoats. Haythornethwaite has the following in grey uniforms:

1st & 2nd Batt. 18th Regt
19th Regiment.
1st Batt. 22nd Regt.
23rd Regt.
24th Regt.
Some of the 27th Reg.
The 3rd Battalion of the 12th regiment wore either light grey sleeved waistcoats or captured French habit vestes. The 1st Batt. wore black or very dark grey sleeved waistcoats but some sources indicate a double breasted grey coat.

For the Landwehr Cavalry Haythornethwaite says "some of the Pommeranians wore grey Litewkas instead of the regulation blue". Litewkas in other regiments were mostly dark blue but grey and sky blue Litewkas were not unknown.

If your Prussian infantry are in blue uniforms, the musicians should be the same. You could keep the grey ones you've painted for when you do one of those grey coated Regiments.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 06 Jun 2021, 08:19

I agree with all of the above - grey coats were not a distinction solely for musicians but for some Reserve regiments. Note also that the Reserve regiments did not carry flags. Only Regular Musketeer battalions carried a Colour and the Landwehr carried informally procured flags.

Also be aware that, irrespective of whether they were Line, Reserve or Landwehr, Prussian regiments divided into three battalions two of which were 'musketeers' (ie Line Infantry, with white cross belts) and the third was a fusilier battalion (ie Light Infantry with black cross belts). Units also had a company of green coated jagers. Cavalry regiments had a small detachment of green coated mounted jagers.

My suspicion is that musketeer battalions had drummers and the jagers used hornists. I don't know whether the fusilier battalion had drummers or hornists or a mix of both, but they did not carry a Colour.

At Waterloo, there is good documentation of each Prussian regiment having a brass band as well.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Jun 2021, 09:02

Just a thought regarding hornists.

Jägers would be using hornists I believe.

The fusilier battalions were normally assigned to skirmishing duties where the hornists would be relaying commands.

However, in the absence of fusiliers, the third rank of a musketeer battalion would be employed for that duty.

It may be hornists would be accompanying these units too?

Source. Napoleon , his armies and enemies.

Interestingly, my research for Antietam has revealed that as the war progressed, drums were phased out in favour of the more audible bugle.
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 06 Jun 2021, 10:02

Hello Gunnar, now you get the answers. I have seen this topic with delay, otherwise I have written earlier. For my project I have to paint this unit as well, cause the 24th was part of the 1.Corps at Waterloo. I have already finished the 12th Line Regiment. Only one battalion wears the regular uniform at Waterloo. The other two the old Reserve-Infantry Grey.

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22316&start=40

I am really looking forward to see your Prussians. There are some similar topics running here actually, which I find really interesting. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 07 Jun 2021, 07:45

That would make sense. Incidentally, in the British Army in Line and Guards regiments, drummers are also buglers, carrying both.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Jun 2021, 10:29

Wow! That was a lot of very nice answers. Will probably repaint my two painted musicians in blue, and maybe paint my hornist (when I come to him in about 252 years) in green. Hat's Jägers didn't have anything extra in the box, but I have their infantry sampler. And, yes Peter. I know about the site, have even looked in a book with similar illustrations at the local library, but I thought it would be good to ask here. My French, though, is totally non-existent.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Jun 2021, 07:56

And here they are, my few Prussians on the workbench:

I will paint more, but this is a start. And I think it is wise to not paint too many a the same time.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 09 Jun 2021, 08:47

That's a good start Gunnar! Looking forward to the next post to see the progress on these figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 09 Jun 2021, 18:11

Join the club, Gunnar!
Looking really good, your Prussians. And take your time to build the army, I do the same. :mrgreen:
MABO  Europe

Posted by santifernandez on 10 Jun 2021, 19:02

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/index.php
Is a great page for be documented.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Jun 2021, 09:58

Yes, it really looks great. But my French is non-existent and the Swedish translation gets, ..... well, .... funny to put it kindly. :xd:
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 15 Jun 2021, 10:27

Susofrick wrote:Yes, it really looks great. But my French is non-existent and the Swedish translation gets, ..... well, .... funny to put it kindly. :xd:

Swedish is always funny, remember the Swedish cook in the Muppets! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Jun 2021, 11:06

:xd: :xd: :xd:
Susofrick  Sweden

Return to Miniatures Talk