Miniatures Talk

How to paint these Late Romans?

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Jun 2021, 08:53

I bought a bargain bunch of Tumbling Dice Late Roman infantry over 100 figures.

They come as Legionaries, Auxiliaries & archers. The figures are pretty good & match the Italeri & Newline L. Roman infantry well.

The latter two categories are easy - the standard tunic.
The legionaries less so. There is some sort of chest protection & pteruges around waist & arms.

I'm wondering if this is supposed to be the leather armour that Phil Barker suggests - an idea much disputed.

The sample is legionary, auxillary & archer.

Does some expert (eg Chariobaude) have any ideas about painting these?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by tullo on 04 Jun 2021, 17:28

hello
i would prime them white opaque but not smooth i do it with airbrush then thin thin thin again and again
then nulln oil as wash then rework colors
greetings
tullo  Germany

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Jun 2021, 20:21

tullo wrote: colors
greetings

This is the bit I'm after.

Do the legionaries (NB not the Auxiliaries) have leather armour?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Chariobaude on 04 Jun 2021, 21:44

Leather armour in the late roman army?

hard to give an answer to this one.
For obvious reasons (leather is an organic material, its conservation does not exceed a certain period), we have none of this time.
In addition, by delving quickly in my memories, I can not find a text which cites this protection in the late empire. On the other hand, I know that there are tetrarchic bas-reliefs which some historians believe describe leather armor (only for infantry), like Marco Rocco.

Perhaps they were subarmalis protections, worn under metal armor to absorb blows.
To my knowledge, the vast majority of armor of the time worn by Roman infantry (the difference is now minimal, even insignificant between auxiliaries and legionaries) are lorica hamata (a very heavy chainmail), with also lorica squamata (scale armor, more frequent in the eastern part, adopted via the Parthians).
Finally, we have many descriptions of the thoracomachus, a gambeson made with many layers of linen (therefore off-white / ecru color). I could be cool to paint your milites wearing it !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Jun 2021, 22:35

Chariobaude wrote:Leather armour in the late roman army?

hard to give an answer to this one.
For obvious reasons (leather is an organic material, its conservation does not exceed a certain period), we have none of this time.
In addition, by delving quickly in my memories, I can not find a text which cites this protection in the late empire. On the other hand, I know that there are tetrarchic bas-reliefs which some historians believe describe leather armor (only for infantry), like Marco Rocco.

Perhaps they were subarmalis protections, worn under metal armor to absorb blows.
To my knowledge, the vast majority of armor of the time worn by Roman infantry (the difference is now minimal, even insignificant between auxiliaries and legionaries) are lorica hamata (a very heavy chainmail), with also lorica squamata (scale armor, more frequent in the eastern part, adopted via the Parthians).
Finally, we have many descriptions of the thoracomachus, a gambeson made with many layers of linen (therefore off-white / ecru color). I could be cool to paint your milites wearing it !

I was hoping you'd weigh in.

The leather armour is suggested, as you say, by some art works, including paintings.

Phil Barker (who wrote the DBX wargames' rules & who is a knowledgeable man) championed the idea.
As you'd know, a Roman author (Vegetius?) wrote that "lazy" Romans refused to wear armour & even helmets as they were too heavy. I think this was used to support the leather hypothesis.

As you say, the idea does appear to be unlikely but I think these TD figures have bought into the idea.

This thoracomachus would be much like the old linothorax, then? On my figures, a sleeveless gambeson that has pteruges over the lower body? Painted in a cream colour?

A quick search revealed this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-KuNdWc4o

. I think it may be a great idea.

Thanks, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Miniatures Talk