Miniatures Talk

Metal cavalry for Burgundian Army 1474?

Posted by Rathgeb on 06 May 2021, 09:33

Hi there,

I am looking to make me a Burgundian Army for the times of the Burgundian Wars, without plastic figures.

Of course there are the fantastic infantry figures by Frank Ziegler, but what about cavalry?

Are there any options in metal or resin? I heard that the Tumbling Dice range is nice, but it's hard to find pics in the net. Has anybody used them?

Thanks a lot and cheers,
Peter
Rathgeb  Switzerland

Posted by Germanicus on 06 May 2021, 11:00

hI, i'm interested in burgundian wars too, I don't know about metal figures, may I ask why are you interested in metal figures specifically?

What I'm doing for my burgundian cavalry is converting minis of the following plastic boxes:
- zvezda french knights
- miniart french and burgundian knights
- redbox men at arms from the war of the roses range
Germanicus  Italy

Posted by Rathgeb on 06 May 2021, 12:17

Hi, Germanicus,

Thank you for your reply!

Well... if you compare the Ziegler pikemen etc. to these plastic soldiers, there is a large difference in quality, maybe with the exception of Zvezda, which - on the other hand - is too large, and I don't like the choice of poses very much.

I would need a couple of Gendarmes, "Archers", some horse archers and horse arquebusiers, I think, plus a couple of mounted knights as command figures.

Cheers,
Peter
Rathgeb  Switzerland

Posted by Rathgeb on 06 May 2021, 13:16

Rathgeb wrote:... some horse archers ....

I mean, horse crossbowmen, sorry.
Rathgeb  Switzerland

Posted by Germanicus on 07 May 2021, 14:44

Mmmh yeah I see, the style is kind of different. I also use some Frank Ziegler minis in my swiss and burgundian armies and since I focus in creating big armies with much variety I don't need the figures to look perfectly compatible in a close up. Also I cheat a bit basing all the minis and I make sure to give the shorter ones a little bit of bonus height on the base, it helps a lot, hoping that an homogenous paint will help even more.

To answer your question specifically, now that I remember it exists a puny set from Valdemar containing two gothic knights
https://www.fredericus-rex.eu/en/Scale- ... -1-72.html
Germanicus  Italy

Posted by Rathgeb on 07 May 2021, 18:07

Oh yes, the Veldemar knights look fabulous! Thank you, that's a start...
Rathgeb  Switzerland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Miniatures Talk