Miniatures Talk

The gaps in our hobby

Posted by Bessiere on 31 Mar 2022, 19:03

Does anyone know if early Napoleonic French mounted Carabiniers were made in metals? (1/72 of course). I don't want the late war Italeri set although nicely sculpted the figures are far too small. Also Gendarmes and Engineers (not Strelets w/poles). That was such a strange combo they did. Alternately has anyone converted mounted HaT grenadiers to Carabiniers?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Graeme on 01 Apr 2022, 03:24

Franznap:

https://franznapminiatures.com/SHOP#!/FA-027-French-Carabiners-1806-Troopers/p/38336735/category=10028353

Strelets did a set of early Carabiniers in plastic, but whether they would meet your needs ?:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1573

Strelets has a new set of French Engineers on it's future projects list but no indication so far as to what they might look like. And, of course, we can't be certain what the future holds for Strelets.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by raph86 on 01 Apr 2022, 07:24

Error :oops:
raph86  France

Posted by Patrick71 on 01 Apr 2022, 11:29

I once bought a set of French Elite dragoons for the campaign in Spain at Hagen Miniatures. I guess that with a little paintjob you could easily turn these into early war mounted carabiniers.
Unfortunately this set seems no longer available on Hagen but their accompanying "standard" dragoons are now available on Blackwatch Miniatures. Maybe these Elites will appear here later for sale too
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Patrick71 on 01 Apr 2022, 11:34

And... Hagen has a set of two Elite Gendarmes and a set of two Garde Gendarmes if you are looking for them...
Not to build an army with but nice figures anyway.
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Bessiere on 01 Apr 2022, 14:50

Thank you Graeme, very kind of you. For Strelets their carabiners are pretty good if chunky but I have yet to find them for sale anywhere. I would far prefer the Franznap, those look absolutely gorgeous. Since they will be the "crown jewel" of my French army I might forgive myself for spending over $50 for a single regt of 12 figures. Good incentive to see if I can up my painting skills. Cheers, Bessiere

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 01 Apr 2022, 14:58

Those are fantastic action poses, very impressive. I plan to eventually have some representation of all parts of the French army so Gendarmes are a must have. In 4 years and thousands of figures I have yet to paint a single metal one. I hope things work the same painting-wise. As a retired engraver I can easily restore any details and fix any dents etc in the casting. I was avoiding the cost of metals but I now have the vast bulk of my armies done so I guess it's time to spend more money and more time painting each.
Thanks Patrick, Hagen does make some beautiful figures. Cheers, Bessiere

Posted by Patrick71 on 01 Apr 2022, 19:37

Hi David, make sure you use a metal primer for metal figures instead of the sort like army painter. I buy mine in a local diy-shop. The rest of the painting is the same.
Grtz. Patrick
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Bessiere on 01 Apr 2022, 21:43

Talk about synchronicity! I just (5 minutes ago) received a package of Art Miniaturen wounded Cuirassiers very kindly sent to me by Raph86 from France. For the life of me I could not navigate the German website but Raph included these when he placed an order. I feel so fortunate indeed to have such great people to share a hobby with. Distance matters not! I also got another package today so it's been fantastic to go shopping without leaving the house. I will follow your advice Patrick and post up some pics when I get these falling cavaliers done. Some days are just ridiculously good.
Thank you Benno's. :-D
Bessiere

Posted by Bessiere on 01 Apr 2022, 21:46

Sadly those elite dragoons are no longer available. Those were some of the best sculpts I've ever seen.

Posted by raph86 on 01 Apr 2022, 23:27

Hello,
Glad the cavalry has arrived :thumbup:
You normally had a small gift inside ;-)
You just have to paint them now 8) .
I have this reference from Hagen for the elite dragons, I don't find them extraordinary but the lead figures often seem average before painting but once painted it's something else.
For the little help, I was not the only one to offer me it seems ;-) .
I'm happy to have been able to give you this small service in your big project :yeah: .

For the preparation of the metal figures, I sand the molding lines, then I clean the figure with gasoline F and then I apply a Vallejo primer with an airbrush and I haven't had any problem yet.

Sincerely Raphaël.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
raph86  France

Posted by MABO on 02 Apr 2022, 07:46

Hello Bessiere,
I am happy for you and for our community here, that you get your figures and a lot of information. I am looking forward to see the figures in the gallery at some day.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Xantippos on 23 Aug 2022, 14:25

The list is indeed endless! sometimes you might think everything important has been done, but one has only to delve a bit deeper into history...

ANCIENT-MEDIEVAL

Hindu Kingdoms (there are only troops for Porus), so there is missing at least Guptas and Mauryas...
Sakas
Kushan
Hyksos
Mali Kingdom
Cilician Pirates
Mauritanians of King Jugurtha
Illyrians
Vandals
Tocharians
Ancient Vietnamese
Ancient Malays
Meroe
Aksum
Sabeans
Makurians
Timurids
Kwarizmians
Armenians
Georgians
Phoenicians
Mughal Empire
Canaanites
Bronze Age Danish
Gepids

And I could go on forever, just on pre-gunpowder subjects... most of these, with some research could be done with entirely new and different uniforms.

What I think there is too much, is "genericism". Manufacturers tend to sell figures as "Medieval Levy", or "Muslim Cavalry", without specifying and trying to avoid depicting an accurate kingdom or peoples. This I think detracts from the interest, as is much more interesting to have a specific subject.
Xantippos  

Posted by Ian Bruce on 26 Aug 2022, 14:33

I'd like to see mounted and dismounted US cavalry for the Plains and Apache wars. Also mounted and dismounted Apache warriors. The only sets available now are disappointingly oversized. Any sets of Indian Plains warriors would be welcome, although there are some already available from Revell and Waterloo. Woodland Indians, too, for the French and Indian wars. The more variety the better.
I'd also second calls for any sets of musketeers, pikemen and lobster-pot cavalrymen for the ECW or TYW.
Ian Bruce  

Previous page

Return to Miniatures Talk