Miniatures Talk

Comparing ...

Posted by steve_pickstock on 06 Dec 2020, 14:32

Various figures from the period of Dumas' Musketeers.

Just a few pictures bringing together assorted ranges of figures Revell 30YW, Zvezda 30YW Austrians, Ultima Ratio Musketeers/Cardinals Guard and the new Red Box figures. They're just for comparison and me sharing a few thoughts.

In no particular order
Officers - (l to r) Ultima Ratio (new version), Zvezda, Red Box. The Zvezda set figures are always going to be big compared with the others, there is no way round it, however the officer here is particularly big, some of the other figures in the set work much better with in terms of size.

Assorted musketeers. (l to r) Zvezda, Revell Swedes - there wasn't a comparable figure in the Red Box set. The main thing is that the UR figure would, to my eyes anyway, work with the Revell sets. Did someone say Swedish troops in tabards? Or was it Danish troops?

Another general size comparison (l to r) Zvezda, Red Box, UR.

Firing Musketeers - (l to r) UR (new set), Zvezda, Revell. The UR looks pretty compatible with the Revell, but the seperate arm will be an issue, I think, as the attachment points are a bit vague.

Cardinal de Richelieu - (l to r) UR, Red Box.

Two versions of Rochefort, both with an eye patch, but of the two I prefer the UR (left) version to the Red Box (right).

A pair of comparable poses UR on the Left and Red Box on the right.

These two gentlemen highlight the differences between UR and Red Box. The UR figure (left) is a nice figure, the costume details are reasonable, and the pose useable, but the RB figure on the right is just so much stronger.

One of the characters that made the Richard Lester Musketeers films was the over-worked, bumbling Planchet. These two figures in the newer version of the UR set show two different versions of the character. One the left Planchet carries the supplies and a spare musket as the companions head for 'breakfast on the bastion' at La Rochelle, so that they can get some privacy. The other is the man-servant in his role of caddy to the musketeers.

The size of the Zvezda figures (on the right), some of the Red Box figures (on the left) are getting close to them.

While searching about for reference pictures, I found the image on the right from the Gerard Depardieu film Cyrano de Bergerac, it's got to be done! This figure IS the greatest swordsman in all of France,

The 'Hen Party', plenty of ladies in posh frocks here, Left to right, two - Constance and her Majesty -from UR - in the newer version of their King's Musketeer set - which come without bases. In the middle Milady de Winter from the older UR Cardinal's Guard set. Then the Queen from Red Box and Lady de Winter from Red Box.

Drinkies! (again)
From the back to the front, UR (newer set) Red Box, Red Box, and UR older set.
As well as being a fun shot, it shows the differences between the two sets. The UR sets are nice figures and the detail is good, the Red Box figures on the other hand have much finer details and the poses tend to have just that little bit more imagination - though the dagger behind the young ladies back on the UR figure is a nice touch.

That's it just my thoughts, I hope you found the pictures useful.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 06 Dec 2020, 14:56

Nice comparison! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Emperor on 06 Dec 2020, 22:10

Will be real joy to paint all those great figures... I once bought a Cardinal Richelle figure in scale 1 32 but it had a gap which I didn-t filled nice...
Emperor  

Return to Miniatures Talk