Forum & Help

What is most important to you?

Posted by Benno on 06 Oct 2013, 20:38

I'm currently working on the new forum homepage and was wondering what information you would like to see first upon visiting this website? Is it a list of latest topics, featured works from the galleries, or something else?

Am curious to what you guys (and girls) find most important! :-D
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Kekso on 06 Oct 2013, 21:38

Usually I want to see unread posts first. This is a feature that I use the most.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Mário on 06 Oct 2013, 22:37

Great work with the forum! Getting better everiday.
I go to the latest posts first, then I browse the forum, 1/72 scale galleries first.
Mário.
Mário  Portugal

Posted by MABO on 06 Oct 2013, 22:42

Kekso wrote:Usually I want to see unread posts first. This is a feature that I use the most.

That is what I would like to see as well. :evil:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Benno on 06 Oct 2013, 22:50

Thanks for the suggestions/feedback so far. Anything else except the unread posts? :-D

So far I have...
- Featured work from the galleries
- Latest topics
- News from the Front articles/stories
- Current Painting Competition polls
- Current Duels
- Latest tutorials
- Upcoming events
- Marketplace ads

And some other stuff. :-D
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by blucher1815red on 06 Oct 2013, 22:52

Same as Mario, latest post then browse 1/72 first. Keep up the good work Benno the forum is getting better & better..... I am plugging it as much as I can on my you tube channel.
blucher1815red  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Duron QelDroma on 07 Oct 2013, 00:20

I would suggest to move the 1/72 scale to the top. So people see, that this is mostly a 1/72 forum. Also it has by far the most topics.
Also thanks a lot for the whole work, you put into the forum!!!
Duron QelDroma  Germany

Posted by PDA on 07 Oct 2013, 02:20

The first thing I read (and often the only thing I read) is Miniatures News in 1/72. If I have time I will look at the Gallery in 1/72, but usually (99 times out of 100) I just look at 1/72 Miniatures News.

I'm the same with Armorama and TMP. News of new stuff in the scale I have the most of.
PDA  England

Posted by Benno on 07 Oct 2013, 11:44

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's greatly appreciated. :-D

PeterG wrote:Hi Benno,
Would that be possible to set up a feature where you could see under each gallery options like "most viewed (or popular) works ", "most commented works " this week for example or in general?
That's a cool idea Peter. I'm sure it's possible somehow. Have added it to the Forum Development list: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14899

PeterG wrote:And also, I know this would be sort of a rip off from CoolMiniorNot but..how about 10 (or maybe even 20) top artists in major categories, like 1/72, 1/48 etc...If those were divided into scale subcategories, it would be more Ordnung:) and everything would not be blurred into one mass
How would you define these top artists? On views? Likes? Or something else?
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Paul on 07 Oct 2013, 14:12

I reckon, what´s important at the Moment is to let the new look Forum settle in ..Keep changing it every so often and People are likely to become uncomfortable.
Paul  China

Posted by Benno on 07 Oct 2013, 17:17

PeterG wrote:Im not really sure how other sites do that (have no idea about IT matters ) but I think it would not work properly on Your site based on views or likes..I think most objective and practical solution would be:
1) to add universal percentage rating system maybe where under each post anyone viewing it can give it his/hers rating %.. Then the system maybe could automatically calculate the average percentage ratio for each post , or..
2)to offer a rating of a.Terrible b.Bad. c.Mediocre d. Good e. Very good f. Outstanding/Artistic Quality
Building in a rating system for the gallery alone will be a bit difficult. I think the current "like" button suffices as a way of "rating" topics in the galleries. And I think it's not too difficult or costly to build in a filter. Please move the discussion about this to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14899. This topic is meant for the new forum home page. :-D

Paul wrote:I reckon, what´s important at the Moment is to let the new look Forum settle in ..Keep changing it every so often and People are likely to become uncomfortable.
Don't worry. I'm not going to make any serious changes to the forum in the next few months. This front page I'm creating now will replace the list of forums as the home page. With the new home page you can still access the list of forums (the current homepage) by clicking on "Forum" in the menu at the top. On the new front page it will be easier to find the "newest" things on the forum, together with featured and highlighted content. See it as a sort of forum newspaper. :-D

Any other suggestions for the new home page?
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Return to Forum & Help