Gallery

Opolchenie quickpainting or: the dullest uniform ever

Posted by Zed1 on 08 Jun 2023, 11:33

Well. Weeeeell. Many of you know me - I'm not a really fast painter. With the relatively few free time I had, it took me two years to complete two wargaming armies - approximately 300 figures.

Thinking about wich major army to create next, I decided to have a closer look on Russia. I looked on what they had got and found that they had a larger number of conscripted militia. I looked at uniform pictures and... well. I could use Prussian Landwehr for that - in 20mm scale, the little difference concerning Litewka and trousers wouldn't make any visible difference at all.

I decided to make a quick painting challenge. Subject: St. Petersburg Opolchenie. Two figures, so that I could continue painting while the other figures' last layer was drying.

And these are the results - I finished two figures in a session. It took me 72 minutes in total.

Right. This is the dullest Napoleonic uniform ever. Dark grey. Just as that. Everything is dark grey except flesh, muskets and that Opolchenie cross on the cap. One can easily smear a large layer of dark grey over the whole figure and then continue with shade and lighting and then it's done. My oh my.

P.S.: for all those who don't believe me - there are really proving sources for this... uniform. Here's a picture and before you wonder: this is showing an NCO. The red band and piping on his field cap distinguishes him as a sergeant. Meaning that at least a little number of the figures within the regiment will have *some* colour at least. :xd:

Zed1  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 08 Jun 2023, 11:39

Zed1 wrote:Well. WeeeeellI'm not a really fast painter.... it took me two years to complete two wargaming armies - approximately 300 figures.

That means approximately 1 figure every 3 days. That's not slow, that's not bad at all :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 12 Jun 2023, 17:41

Not bad at all indeed! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Graeme on 13 Jun 2023, 13:30

I think you did a great job of putting some life and interest into those monotone uniforms.

Good looking figures. :thumbup:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 15 Jun 2023, 02:09

Haha, well at least it makes the painting easier. I think maybe adding the red bands on the hat will provide a bit of contrast to the otherwise, all black.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Minuteman on 16 Jun 2023, 14:54

Certainly a simple uniform, but in its own way quite attractive. Definitely easy to paint!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Gallery